NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

now what??

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: now what??
    Posted: September-11-2020 at 10:05am
Just posting some progress on the Southwind stringer job.
going to get up under the bow then pull motor and drive.

making it up as I go, have read many of the posts here...kind of have an idea of where to go.
Liquiddreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquiddreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2020 at 10:48am
I did a job similar to this years ago on a 1981 Ski Supreme. It was a beast of job, but fun (Using the term loosely) at the same time. I actually took the boat apart at the rub rail and lifted the top half out of the way to do the work and it made things a little easier on me. I remember taking a lot of measurements on the old flooring while tearing it out, so I could look back at them for the construction of the new. Any old supports that I could use as a template I did. I even would put cardboard beside the old rotten pieces before tear out to try and get a good template to use. The job turned out great. So much so that my neighbor offered me more than I had in it shortly after completion. I only got to enjoy the fruit of my labor a hand full of times.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2020 at 11:03am
William you did the supreme right, some don't take it apart as needed  and make a wreck out of it.

Brett there are archived details rebuilds here within the forum.

other good resources of techniques and glasswork and materials selection on YT channel FriscoBoater's Garage, and BoatworksToday, as well as many others

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2020 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Brett Brett wrote:

Just posting some progress on the Southwind stringer job.
going to get up under the bow then pull motor and drive.

making it up as I go, have read many of the posts here...kind of have an idea of where to go.

Brett

There's no need to get up under the bow to take the engine or drivetrain out.

I just thought you'd maybe like a little "snarkasm" since you haven't been here in a while Wink
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2020 at 1:44pm
Hello Ken you old salt...asd always, appreciate the sage like advise.

Anyone need some foam chunks??
If there is another layer the Southwind will become a yard ornament or paintball target.

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2020 at 8:26pm

First off you must really like that Southwind a lot to start into this endeavor, secondly I'd get some drywall on that stud wall before the grinding starts. LOL

Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2020 at 9:05pm
Yes, I guess I do like it that much or I hope too...bought it as a project. Never had it on water.
Great observation of the stud wall.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2020 at 9:31pm
I think you ‘photoshopped ‘ it in, looks to perfect
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2020 at 7:34am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

First off you must really like that Southwind a lot to start into this endeavor, secondly I'd get some drywall on that stud wall before the grinding starts. LOL

That Gun Driver............always checkin' out the studs Wink

Somebody on here could probably e mail you a manual for that OMC engine.

It's not me, but I think his screen name begins with s and ends with williams if I remember right.

Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2020 at 8:55am
I would greatly appreciate a manual.
i have a few basic questions...real entry level stuff.I am attaching two pics, question is are these considered "stringers" at first, I thought any of the wood under the fiberglass was part of the stringers. Now I am thinking the stringers are the stringers and the two pics I am adding are just part of the decking or whatever the technical name is. 
if they are not part of the stringers, does this mean they do not need to be replaced with the accuracy needed for the stringers? Can I customize, move, etc?
expand for storage, built in cooler etc?

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2020 at 9:12am
Brett,
No, the wood in you picture are not part of the stringer system. It's there so there's something to screw the forward seats to. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2020 at 11:58am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

That Gun Driver............always checkin' out the studs Wink  

You know it but I do prefer straight studs Big smile  Looks like new construction with that nice clean light gray concrete floor. 
Ah, I remember when mine looked like that many projects ago LOL
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2020 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Looks like new construction with that nice clean light gray concrete floor. 
Ah, I remember when mine looked like that many projects ago

I remember mine too and how protective I USED to be about keeping the floor clean and new looking. LOL

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2020 at 3:43pm
Focus boys-Southwind Stringers...not shop floorsWink

Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2020 at 3:45pm
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2020 at 3:47pm
so are there only three stringers ??
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2020 at 3:55pm
You should probably focus on searching the forum for things like BFN or Barefoot Nautique stringers, or "weeding the pumpkin patch" Wink

Since the Southwind and BFN are pretty much the same under the sole (ya catch that Pete?) you'll come up with a number of detailed threads about replacing their stringers and floors that you'll get plenty of info from.
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2020 at 4:01pm
Yes Sir-Ouch
I know better than to pop off on a thread you are on.
Thumbs Up
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2020 at 8:06pm
And I thought I was the only one that noticed the basement/garage wall project wasn’t finished;-)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2020 at 8:17pm

I would greatly appreciate a manual

Send a PM to swilliams, I remember him offering an e mail copy of an OMC manual to someone a few years ago Wink
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2020 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I would greatly appreciate a manual

Send a PM to swilliams, I remember him offering an e mail copy of an OMC manual to someone a few years ago Wink

Link to Steve:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2020 at 8:37pm
Uh oh, I think that what I think I remembered is not quite what Steve was offering to e mail Wink

He was offering to e mail a wiring diagram, not a complete manual, but PM him anyways, a wiring diagram might be handy.

He has a manual but it's on paper from what I could figure out looking at his old posts.
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2020 at 5:51pm
thanks- PM sent.
any info I can get will help with rebuild.
and dang, what an observant group...

Brett
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2020 at 9:20am
assistants on break....
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2020 at 2:52pm
yeah.. those dogs look frustrated with their owner that keeps getting side tracked with other projects, chores and the internet.. summer is turning to fall and their dreams of boating this season are slipping away!
swilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2020 at 10:15pm
Sent Brett a PM. I don’t mind sending a copy of what I have but manuals sometimes will cover a limited amount of model numbers. If I had your model number then I can see if mine covers yours. Manuals for Omc aren’t hard to find, just figuring out which one is the hard part. I also have a parts manual. Steve
1976 Martinique,350 Omc. 1975 Glastron/Carlson CV16,115 Merc.
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2020 at 7:19am
Dang man...this is a hard site.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2020 at 6:08am

Dang man...this is a hard site.

Ha..... You ain't seen nothing yet! Wait until you show up for a gathering/reunion.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2020 at 9:09am
Not much scheduled for the project this weekend as cooler weather prep dictates chores...
I am going to get the motor ready to pull.
From my reading here it seems pretty straight forward
Take plenty of pictures
label everything I disconnect
pull motor and drive together
clean shop floor.

please keep in mind that I have no mechanical or construction experience whatsoever so extreme novice.

I red on here somewhere in one of the stringer threads that doing the stringers is something everyone should do once.
made sense...and then I decided everyone should also rebuild a 350 in their life.

there is so much source material available...why not try...
total investment in project so far-300.00 including the boat...worst case, lots of entertainment for little investment.
best case-man card!!!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2020 at 9:13am

clean shop floor.

Clap Clap

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic