NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

now what??

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2020 at 9:22am
Brett. Sometimes a scared, detail oriented novice can do a nice first time job because you are so concerned and focused
Happened to me once
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2020 at 9:25am
Thumbs Up
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2020 at 2:11pm
Well after two plus months I am back in the game...
My cousin is helping me physically pull the motor, he is a farmer and the project got put on hold until they finished the harvest.
more progress pics to come....

Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2021 at 10:06am
Well, amazing how time flys!! I have continued doing a little work at a time all winter long on my 77 SW stringer rebuild and have gotten lazy about posting pics and updates-
heres the latest -
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2021 at 10:11am
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2021 at 10:12am
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2021 at 10:13am
Sometime earlier it was brought up that my shop floor WAS clean...not so much anymore!

swilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2021 at 1:57pm
Now that I see you engine picture, it is definitely a newer model than mine. Both would be 350 ci and 260 hp. Mine has Mallory distributor whereas yours appears to be a Prestolite. Parts may be a bit easier to find but the RWP is a dinosaur! Have you found the parts and service manuals yet?
1976 Martinique,350 Omc. 1975 Glastron/Carlson CV16,115 Merc.
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2021 at 3:39pm

Now you’re almost if not at the fun part of putting it back together.

No Kidding here.

It would be what I would enjoy doing.

Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2021 at 10:18am
I have not done anything to motor except pull it thus far.

I am thinking of doing a few fun things such as adding some storage and cup holders when i do the floor.
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2021 at 7:57am
Been slowly plugging away...
I have completely fried two angle grinders, one a Makita and one a Harbor Freight cheapy.
I am running on good extension cord, is this just from the fiberglass dust?
Would a belt sander held up better?
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2021 at 8:01am
doesn't look horrible for what that's worth...

Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2021 at 8:28am
upgrade made for security team, the floor was dusty.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2021 at 8:31am
We got no where with a belt sander. Angle grinder with heavy grit flap disc. Surprised you burnt up the Mikita. Not sure why. Progress looks good.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2021 at 9:49am
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

Surprised you burnt up the Mikita. 

I'm not. They don't have a grreat track record with me. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2021 at 9:56am
Brett

Any self respecting backyard hack would buy a Harbor Freight grinder and when the cashier asks "do you want the extended warranty" quickly say yes if you're gonna abuse the snot out of it.

Unless of course it's really cheap and the warranty costs as much as the grinder, then you just buy another one at the same time.

Their return policy is pretty liberal

The security team looks poised and ready to leap into action Wink
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2021 at 12:34pm
Pete didn’t like my Metabo grinder either LOL  And it’s been getting abused since the ‘80s

Brett dump the flappers ( not much better than sandpaper)  and go to your local Autobody supply store and get a bunch of 3m 24 & 36 grit grinding discs. They will cut your work in half Wink

Green or maroon either or doesn’t matter I’ve used both with same amount of success.
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2021 at 12:47pm

Most economical and effective way to go in my opinion ;
The harbor freight polisher as pictured (not random orbit).
The 600 to 3500 rpm range is ideal for all kinds of grinding cutting and buffing, but lets stick with grinding.

By the pictures
The motor is pressure sensitive, so at all rpms when you lean on it, it'll torque like a mother to maintain the setting
Save any and all other thread on or spacers from your other grinders, they come in real handy for flap discs to keep the arbor off what your grinding.
Speed control knob is in a good spot, it comes with a 7 inch rubber backed velcro pad, 4 inch pads are available, i hole saw the beat up pads to whatever diameter is needed.

Throw out the d-ring handle if it has one and use the single hand grip from one of the busted 4 inch on either side depending where your at in the boat.
Economically, the velcro grinding discs are the way to go, you need 36 and 80 grit for this part of the job.

The 4, 41/2 inch grinders spin at 12500 rpm, boom it's game on, getting surgical is tough at that speed on your knees in a corner on the bottom of a boat.  
On slow speed you can get in, cut, grind shape just about any material even without a good gip on the machine, the 4 inch is like holding a giant python thats trying to get loose and bite you.

Its not as loud and doesn't throw dust as far or as hard at 3500 compared to 12000 but it makes the same amount.

Cut your old tabbing down with the 4 inch pad, then feather it in and flatten it out with the 7 inch pad so the new stringers and tabbing go a little easier.
Don't waste your money on a belt sander for this job. 

Grinders and fiberglass don't play well together, the dust clogs up the motor loosing cooling air and even the gears and bearings get dust, after a while it'll start rattling and coming apart on ya.

Sorry if i sound a little short, was on my way out the door when i seen this and quick grabbed up the stuff to take pics and post.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2021 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

get a bunch of 3m 24 & 36 grit grinding discs. They will cut your work in half Wink 

I agree and also you'll need to be careful to not go all the way through the hull! Big smile

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2021 at 6:33pm
The last time I bought a power tool at HF, they said if I didn't get the warranty, it was not returnable, even if it was dead out of box.,

Hate that place but still go thereOuch

Edit - next time they say that I will plug it in there before I pay!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2021 at 7:24am
This is great info.
Thanks
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2023 at 12:52pm
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2023 at 1:04pm
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2023 at 9:20pm
looks like your doing some nice work there, keep at it, keep updating. 
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2023 at 8:25am

Some pics from oil pan removal...

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic