Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hull Identification Number

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
'69Cuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '69Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hull Identification Number
    Posted: September-08-2020 at 4:11pm
I am restoring my dad's barracuda ss, and it's registered as a '69 model. I have been doing research and I think it's an earlier year. I have a hull i.d. number on a metal plate and do not know how to decipher it. It states: BSS 1913 and nothing more. This boat has been in the family since the 70's and now it's mine, and I am restoring it from the stringers up. It has the original motor and trailer and it still runs strong. I just would like to know the true year it is. Motor is stamped as a '67. Any info would be much appreciated! I am new to the forum.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 4:44pm
Try emailing customer.care@nautique.com  and see if they will look it up. Art who's a member here used to do it for us but now he's finally a man of well deserved leisure. Some of our members can get you pretty close on the year by posting some pictures of the dash and front,rear deck. Out of curiosity what color was/is it? 
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 5:19pm
Mitch,
The number you found isn't a HIN. They didn't start until the early 70's. The "BSS" stands for Baracuda Super Sport and then the numbers are a sequential serial number. Yes, we'd love some pictures and as Gary mentioned, members will be able to give you a good idea of the year.

Welcome to CCfan and don't forget we love pictures.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 5:25pm
https://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15970&title=bss-2000
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 5:26pm
So cool you found tag. Hopefully it is a Chrysler too. Pics please
'69Cuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '69Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 6:11pm
The motor is original and is stamped May of 1967. I am having issues uploading photos from my phone, but the boat is red exterior with a white top and the white center console with shifters. It has two center gauges up top that are the odometer and tachometer. It has the barometer on the right side of the steering wheel and the clock on the far left side of the passenger seat. It still has the original windshield, but is unfortunately missing the center verticle support. She will be getting new stringers at the end of the week.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 9:11pm
Do not tease me. Hurry up with pics
And did I mis brand of motor Chrysler??
93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 10:26pm
with the barometer and clock and tach on dash sounds like it could be a 1966 or 1967
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by '69Cuda '69Cuda wrote:

I am having issues uploading photos from my phone,

Very close to impossible to post pictures here from your phone.....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
'69Cuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '69Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 10:57pm

So I finally got it to work with the laptop. This is the dash before I gutted the interior...its going to get stringers this week. The motor is the original 318 Chrysler that is date stamped 50367 (may 3, 1967) and it still has the generator on it. She still fires up and runs like a dog too.
'69Cuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '69Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 11:08pm

Have done one round of compound polish, and wax. It will see another round before it will see the water. I also will be re-doing the trailer since it is all original, but my dad did weld on the bow alignment posts on the front of the trailer like 30 years ago.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 11:55pm
You have alot of potential there- hasn't been too molested like many have. Your just missing the seats and the steering wheel and maybe some trim parts on the side panels. One piece windshields do not have the center bar- that is used to connect the 2 piece glass windshields together. Nice to see a red and white one as well, most SS models from those years seem to be Mahogany.
Pete or anyone did Cuda's have a floor pan like Mustangs did?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 5:43am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Pete or anyone did Cuda's have a floor pan like Mustangs did?
Just the Mustangs. 

Mitch,
Thanks for the pictures. I agree there's lots of potential to bring back the boat. Keep us posted on the stringer work. Have you been able to finf some of the stringer threads here?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
'69Cuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '69Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 6:43am
Thanks y'all, I contacted Correct Craft for a floor plan and they said they do not have anything of that age. My dad replaced the seats with captain chairs back in the '80s since the originals rotted. He wanted to have a passenger facing the rear for the skiers. He also got the steering wheel from the current year Natique and bolted it right in. I am having a hard time deciding on the seats since it's difficult to find the originals and I will be using this boat to ski with.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 7:52am
No floor pans on Barracuda’s that I’ve ever seen- mustangs only.

I have my doubts on that windshield being correct/original.

67 could be correct based on the hardware I can see... doubt it’s any later than that. Is that a square wood box? Presumably original and sitting over a LA/LM 318 as opposed to a Poly?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 9:09am
Very nice start. Glad your restoring her
Should be fun to watch and thx for pics
We need more Chrysler’s on forum, helps us keep them going
There is a thermostat housing and stat upgrade to 70’s 318 you should get. I look for part number
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 9:19am
Late 66/early 67 maybe?  Windshield is probably not correct. The big gauges are usually on 66's.  Motor box is for a later model 318 which usually indicates a 67 or later.  Don't see many two tones in either of those years. They were pretty common by 68.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 9:39am

It still has the original windshield, but is unfortunately missing the center verticle support. 
Mitch,
Is there any evidence in the deck that indicates a center support was used? I too agree that the windshield doesn't look like it's the original. On a SS model, CC typically used the glass double winshields.

BTW, those swivel captains seats have got to go! Big smile

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
'69Cuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '69Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 9:55am
So you all are correct, there is a hole in the middle of the windshield on the deck which indicates the split window. The engine cover was built by my dad to cut down on space, but apparently the original was damaged? The captain chairs are already in the trash due to rot, and people say "you need to drop a chevy in it".... originality is my goal. My dad was the second owner of the boat and he boght it at the age of 18. I grew up behind this boat. Now the fun begins!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 10:00am
Keep the mopar. Is it reverse rotation??
Chrysler marine parts are still available, even in crates
Enjoy. We’ve been starved for restorations during stupid covid
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 10:24am
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Keep the mopar. Is it reverse rotation?? 
Mitch,
Did you know the 318 is a reverse rotation engine? KEEP IT!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 10:31am
No where in any of his posts says he’s going to change engines so don’t panic 😉. “Originality” is his goal......
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

No where in any of his posts says he’s going to change engines so don’t panic 😉. “Originality” is his goal......

No Mitch didn't but he came pretty close:

and people say "you need to drop a chevy in it".
  Big smile

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
'69Cuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '69Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 11:15am
Don't worry, my plan is to keep the mopar. And it is a counter clockwise rotation, I am looking at replacement engine components as we speak. The engine runs, but there are items that will need to be swapped for new parts. The sound of the straight piped 318 always have me chills...it's not going anywhere!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2020 at 8:43am
Sweeeet   There is a site called ‘ marine parts express’ there is a schematic parts list and diagrams for most components 67-75 and 75 up. La318
I
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2020 at 8:51am
Thermo house 2846215
Stat 2600699

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2020 at 8:53am
Look into a Sherwood pump rebuild kit, bearing seals impellers etc
And possibly rebuild starter at local shop
'69Cuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote '69Cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2020 at 9:15am
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Look into a Sherwood pump rebuild kit, bearing seals impellers etc
And possibly rebuild starter at local shop

Thank you for all that info! I will definitely be doing some updates and rebuilds to the engine components. Fortunately the starter is only a couple years old and is still strong. I just dropped the hull off this morning to get the stringers done. I am good mechanically, but when it comes to the back bones of the boat....I would rather a back surgeon do that.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2020 at 9:29am
Wow. You really are going for it
Good luck and keep posting
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2020 at 9:32am

but when it comes to the back bones of the boat....I would rather a back surgeon do that.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic