NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

alternator/no spark help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: alternator/no spark help
    Posted: September-07-2020 at 8:42pm
frustrating weekend. '88 Ski Nautique, PCM 351 Ford, Prestolite distributor with EI (converted before I bought the boat...maybe Pertronix?).  This boat lives about 250 miles from me on a lift on a lake in northern MI. it used to be in my back yard at ford lake, but has been replaced with a '99 SAN so I see the '88 roughly every other weekend. Boat has run fine all summer and ran fin the last time I was up there a few weeks ago. I went to get it ready for wakeboarding saturday morning and opened the doghouse to find water a bit over the oil pan (bungee cord failure on the cover let some water in). I ran the bilge to pump it out. so far, so good. When I pushed the ignition breaker and turned the key, smoke started coming out of the alternator. I tried to start it anyway, which probably was a bad idea...anyway, it didn't start. I re-set the ignition breaker, removed the alternator, and went on a quest to find a new one. My first stop was the local car quest. They were really nice and told me my alternator was no longer available but was interchangeable with a Mando unit. They gave me a printout of said Mando and a phone # for a marina about 45 minutes away. The guy at the marina said he had a rebuilt unit from a mercruiser that seemed to match the printout from car quest (i emailed him many photos) and also what ski dim sells as a replacement. $200 later I was on my way back to the lake. i stopped where I had cell service for a bit more research and I was satisfied that the Mando unit would work IF I added a jumper wire form S to + which I made from 8Ga. copper. I replaced the alternator and boat just cranked. I verified ~10.5V at + side of coil and ~2.5V at - and also NO SPARK while cranking with a plug grounded to the block. It was getting late in the day so I went pontooning. The next morning I replaced the coil (i have a lot of spare parts up there and a wiring diagram but no internet...please forgive me for being a parts changer). Still nothing, but same voltage readings. Next I replaced coil/ignition module and added ballast resister (per new module instructions) with spares i bought in 2013 that I thought were correct. Anyway, still no spark. I should also say that when replacing the EI module, the paper gasket b/w cap and distributor was destroyed and I didn't have a spare...so there is no paper gasket there now. Below are photos of old/new alternator and EI setup. At least questions for you guys:
1) Is the rebuilt Alt + jumper wire OK?
2) Is my replacement EI compatable with my Prestolite distributor?
3) If the new EI is no good, what EI module/coil/resister combo do I need?
4) If the new EI is good, what is going on here?
Sorry for the long read and THANKS!!

Old Alt

New Alt with homemade jumper wire

1st coil replacement + old EI
Old EI module

New EI module and rotor

New EI setup

new EI wiring w/resistor

As far as I can tell, I'm not quite sure...
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 7:10am
Nick

Some people might call you a "parts changer", .......myself, I'd call you well prepared  Wink

I think your jumper on the alternator is just fine. That lets the alternator sense output voltage at the output of the alternator and lots of Mandos come with that jumper already installed.

As far as the distributor, if the original module (it's a Prestolite module) was working, the voltage at the coil negative should have been fluctuating between around zero and 12 ish as you turned the engine over.

You just had a steady reading so I think the module bit the dust.

Your picture of the E Spark module with the kinda blurry rotor/shutter wheel in the background looks like you have the wrong rotor/shutter wheel for your distributor.

You have a screw down cap Prestolite with a rotor that has a spring steel center contact and a fixed button at the coil terminal inside the cap. They contact each other to transmit the voltage and current 

The E Spark looks like the rotor is correct for an earlier clip down cap, where the rotor button in the center of the cap is spring loaded and contacts the flat metal piece at the center of the rotor.

So what you end up with in your situation is a big air gap between the rotor and the center button and no spark will be making it to the plugs.

Those Mallory rotor/shutter wheels are pretty much non existent for Prestolite distributors these days so finding the right one would be tough. The module is probably just fine, but the cap/ rotor mismatch is the issue.

If you have a better picture of the rotor/shutter wheel that would help Wink

It might be tough to visualize what I'm saying but I can post a few pictures later if needed to show what I mean about the mismatch

MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 7:52am
Ken,

Thanks for the reply.
Just as a point of clarification, the voltage I reported at the coil was only with key on...i didn't check while cranking as I didn't know what to look for.

Sorry I don't have a better photo of the e spark rotor, but I can tell you the spring steel tab in the center is "flat" as opposed to the "angled up" tab on the old rotor. I'm almost certain I saw a witness mark on the e spark rotor after the initial trial...which would indicate contact...but i can't be certain that mark wasn't there initially...and it was a pretty faint mark if i remember correctly...

Is that paper distributor cap gasket critical for this operation?

Any idea what EI module/coil combo I need for this boat? I've researched quite a bit and am honestly more confused haha...

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 7:58am
Originally posted by MI-nick MI-nick wrote:

Old EI module

If you decide you need a new electronic module to fit your distributor in the picture with the reluctor wheel and no points cam, the Pertronix part number is 1589 for the Ignitor kit or 91589 for the Ignitor2 kit.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 9:15am
The paper gasket isn't necessary for proper operation.

It's there for marine spark proofing though so it's good to have one.

If you're good, you can cut one out of thin gasket material Wink
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 9:58am
thanks a lot ken. regarding the EI module, I can find the part #'s you referenced easy enough...summit, jegs, etc...but, I also checked ski dim and see 2 options listed on the below page

skidim part # 100414 mentions "not for prestolite distributors with the original equipment conversion kits. These kits have a purple and black wire from the module with a trigger wheel pickup. use item # 60217"

skidim item #60217 has no information other than "for Prestolite distributor with the OEM electronic conversion modules"

confused because the old one did indeed have purple/black wires, but I don't think it's "OEM"?

thoughts?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 11:21am
Your old one is a Prestolite distributor with an OEM conversion kit from Prestolite that PCM sold, that's no longer available or alternately the whole distributor could have been replaced, PCM had a kit for that too.

In either case, that's why you have the black and purple wires right now

From SkiDim what you want is the 60217 kit also known as a Pertronix Ignitor 2 91589 kit. 

60217 is just SkiDim's part number for the 91589 kit.

You'll notice that the photos for the 60217 and 100414 kits look exactly alike, I'd say that SkiDIm has the wrong photo of the 60217 since the magnet ring is wrong. It's a good photo of a 100414 kit which is a Pertronix 91582 and not what you need.

So 60217 from SkiDim or 91589 elsewhere gets you the same thing and is what you need Wink

I won't make any comments on pricing

MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 1:57pm
ordered an ignitor II module (91589) and flamethrower II coil from Summit at lunch. unfortunately I have to wait a few weeks to confirm if it will work.

a couple more thoughts/questions

1) is it possible to install the module 180 deg "off" inside the distributor or does orientation not matter?
2) could the alternator failure and EI module failure be related...eg one caused the other? i think not and I think the only relation is that the factors which caused one (moisture, corrosion, short, bad luck) caused both?

thanks again!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 8:54pm

ordered an ignitor II module (91589) and flamethrower II coil from Summit at lunch. unfortunately I have to wait a few weeks to confirm if it will work.

1) is it possible to install the module 180 deg "off" inside the distributor or does orientation not matter?
2) could the alternator failure and EI module failure be related...eg one caused the other? i think not and I think the only relation is that the factors which caused one (moisture, corrosion, short, bad luck) caused both?

thanks again!

The module and plate could be mounted 180 off, but I think when it's in your hands you'll see that the big sorta half circle cutout in the mounting plate  lines up with the spot where the wires exit the housing. There's a good chance you'll have to adjust the timing to get it started, but I'd install it, try to start it, it might fire right up and adjust if necessary.

I think the alternator failure could have caused the module failure. A voltage transient like a high voltage spike could have fried the electronics
uncle-buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 12:06am

thanks again!
Not to rain on your parade or contradict Keno, but you may want to consider calling Pertronix tech support with the model number on your distributor and asking which kit will work best with it. 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2020 at 5:30am
Originally posted by uncle-buck uncle-buck wrote:

Not to rain on your parade or contradict Keno, but you may want to consider calling Pertronix tech support with the model number on your distributor and asking which kit will work best with it. 

That all sounds good in theory, but if his distributor originally had points in it and they were replaced with the PCM kit (which replaced the point cam with a reluctor wheel as part of the conversion), like mentioned earlier, giving them the model number would get him the wrong Ignitor 2 kit Wink

If the whole distributor was replaced at some point with the later one that had the Prestolite module as standard equipment, then the phone call would probably get him the right kit.

The difference is the magnet assembly, one kit has an assembly that fits over the 8 legged reluctor wheel and the other has a magnet assembly that fits over a points cam..........and one won't fit in place of the other.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2020 at 7:50am
[QUOTE=MI-nick

Here's a picture of an old Mando that just came off a boat for comparison purposes. Same jumper setup

MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2020 at 3:40am
thanks again ken. 
ignitor II and flame thrower II arrived yesterday. the magnet ring has 8 "notches" that look like they are supposed to fit over the reluctor wheel so I think i got the right kit. unfortunately i have to wait two weeks before i can try it out. i'll be sure to post about how it all worked out.
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2020 at 6:28am
fired right up and ran great all weekend. thanks again Ken!

now looking into several related/secondary issues...i'll do a thorough search before posting a new topic...

1) i think the alternator pulley is wrong. belt was slipping/smoking at initial start up. i increased the tension and the slipping went away and seemed to be working fin (14.4V at battery while running)...but it looks wrong...belt looks too "deep" in the pulley
2) fuel gauge is not working. needle moves a tiny bit when the key is on, but basically reads empty (it's not) all the time
3) running temp was ~135-140 (temp at sender was same measured with laser thermometer). water was COLD for sure, but had been (and I think should be) running at 155
4) water is leaking into the boat. i see a small stream running along the outboard side of the starboard stringer and into the bilge. i'll look into that when I pull the boat in 2 weeks (exhaust hose, muffler, speedo balance tube?). not a ton of water, but fills up to the top of the bilge pump over night.

1 problem fixed and 4 new ones to work on...i don't think i'm doing this right...
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2020 at 6:43am

fired right up and ran great all weekend. thanks again Ken!

now looking into several related/secondary issues...i'll do a thorough search before posting a new topic...

1) i think the alternator pulley is wrong. belt was slipping/smoking at initial start up. i increased the tension and the slipping went away and seemed to be working fin (14.4V at battery while running)...but it looks wrong...belt looks too "deep" in the pulley
2) fuel gauge is not working. needle moves a tiny bit when the key is on, but basically reads empty (it's not) all the time
3) running temp was ~135-140 (temp at sender was same measured with laser thermometer). water was COLD for sure, but had been (and I think should be) running at 155
4) water is leaking into the boat. i see a small stream running along the outboard side of the starboard stringer and into the bilge. i'll look into that when I pull the boat in 2 weeks (exhaust hose, muffler, speedo balance tube?). not a ton of water, but fills up to the top of the bilge pump over night.

1 problem fixed and 4 new ones to work on...i don't think i'm doing this right...

I told ya' .............Uncle Buck got the bad coil and/or module. Wink

If you have an impact wrench you could swap pulleys from one alternator to the other. You could do it without the impact wrench but it's a lot easier with one.

I'd probably check the ground back at the sender as a starting point to figure out the gauge problem. A bad ground will make it read low/empty. Could be other things, but start there
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2020 at 8:02am
it ran better than it ever has, actually. there had been a very intermittent "miss" ever since I got the boat...went through just about everything except the ignition module and basically wrote it off as "whatever, boat basically runs fine"...looks like it was the module...which i didn't suspect because everything i've read about them says they usually don't intermittently fail, they just flat out fail...well...
uncle-buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2020 at 9:28am
Glad the new Pertronix module and coil worked for you.
Good luck getting the other issues resolved.

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2020 at 12:29pm
The carbureted boats run a 140 thermostat so that part is good.  Congrats on fixing the engine.
MI-nick View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MI-nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2020 at 12:42pm
its a 143 Wink...all summer (and the entire time i've owned the boat), the gauge has shown ~155...so not sure If I have a gauge issue now or maybe t-stat issue. 
i'm most concerned about the leak...at least it's a small leak...i'll come back for help if I can't get it figured out
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic