NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Losing tach

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Losing tach
    Posted: September-07-2020 at 6:35pm
I have an 02 196 gt40 ford and have been having problems where the tach will drop to zero and then begin bouncing around. The boat runs fine but when we are running through the course, perfect pass surges because it’s trying to get back to it’s set rpms. All the wiring on the back of the dash looks good. Any suggestions on how to fix? It usually starts the morning out great but after the first couple sets (30 minutes or so) the tach will drop off, but it doesn’t happen every day! Thanks for any insight.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 7:47pm
Read the thread in the link and give the little selector switch a try

It might work, it might not, but it costs nothing to try it Wink

Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 7:34am
Thanks. I read the thread which makes me realize I probably should have added more info (but I will look to see if the back of my gauge has that).

The boat is new to me and when we bought it, the original digital gauges didn't work so I replaced with the Faria tach and gps speedo.  When we lose the rpm's, both the tach and perfect pass lose the signal.  That leads me to believe it's not the tach but the signal.  

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 8:11am
Originally posted by Tbarile Tbarile wrote:

Thanks. I read the thread which makes me realize I probably should have added more info (but I will look to see if the back of my gauge has that).

The boat is new to me and when we bought it, the original digital gauges didn't work so I replaced with the Faria tach and gps speedo.  When we lose the rpm's, both the tach and perfect pass lose the signal.  That leads me to believe it's not the tach but the signal.  

Maybe this will help

Click on the link and go to page 6-4 for the tach circuit wiring

If you're looking for the 10 way connector part 7 in the diagram, it's really an 8 plug connector on a PCM Gt40

As an added bonus, now you have a GT40 manual if you didn't have one already Wink

Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 10:09am
Thanks!

Now I just need to figure out where to go from here!
Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2020 at 8:20pm
Any other help out there? We’ve looked over the wiring and nothing stands out.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2020 at 7:38am
Since you bought the boat with PP which I guess we could assume was working and it had a dead tach and then you replaced the tach, is this when the issues started with PP?

What if you unwire the tach, does PP then work correctly?

I know nothing about PP, but the answers to the above would probably be helpful Wink
Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2020 at 10:43am
I don’t know if PP had any issues as we changed out tach and speedo prior to putting in water. We have disconnected the tach to see if that was causing any issues but the problem still happens.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2020 at 11:19am
Todd,
Check the voltage the PP is getting especially when it decides to malfunction. Use a VOM and NOT the gauge at the helm. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2020 at 11:56am
There is a provision to use an inverted tach signal with Oerfect Pass Star Gazer. I had t use it with my 2004 SN for solid results.  Go to perfect pass.com for details but it is accessed through the PP menu under setup.
Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2020 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Todd,
Check the voltage the PP is getting especially when it decides to malfunction. Use a VOM and NOT the gauge at the helm. 

What do you connect volt meter (I assume that’s VOM) to?
Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2020 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

There is a provision to use an inverted tach signal with Oerfect Pass Star Gazer. I had t use it with my 2004 SN for solid results.  Go to perfect pass.com for details but it is accessed through the PP menu under setup.

I have pp digital pro. I’ve spoken with PP about this issue and they say slalom mode, which runs of rpm, has no way of bypassing/running without getting the rpm signal.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2020 at 5:25am

Todd,

What do you connect volt meter (I assume that’s VOM) to?

Where the PP at the helm is getting it's power. 

Todd,
It's come up on site before that the PP's are sensitive to low voltage and the reason I suggested checking the volts. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2020 at 10:53am
I only have an analog multimeter so I’m having a digital One delivered tomorrow to make it easier.

Also, this isn’t just an issue with perfect pass losing the signal, the Faria tach loses it as well.

I spoke with a mechanics last night and he thinks it’s the gateway box. Thoughts?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2020 at 12:02pm

I only have an analog multimeter so I’m having a digital One delivered tomorrow to make it easier.

Also, this isn’t just an issue with perfect pass losing the signal, the Faria tach loses it as well.

I spoke with a mechanics last night and he thinks it’s the gateway box. Thoughts?

What year did they start using the gateway box?  ...............At least a couple years or so after 2002
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2020 at 12:31pm

Todd,
Digital or analog doesn't make a difference. Unless you get a very high end digital, they typically do not react very quick to short spikes in readings. There are times when I actually prefer an analog because you can see the needle twitch when there's a spike. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2020 at 1:41pm
Hey Pete, I’ve your looking for voltage spikes it’s time to break out the oscilloscope. I recommend tektronix. No DVM or analog voltmeter will show a spike.
Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2020 at 2:24pm

Hey Pete, I’ve your looking for voltage spikes it’s time to break out the oscilloscope. I recommend tektronix. No DVM or analog voltmeter will show a spike.

So your saying I won’t be able to see anything with a voltmeter?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2020 at 2:28pm

There are times when I actually prefer an analog because you can see the needle twitch when there's a spike. 

"TWITCH"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2020 at 2:29pm

So your saying I won’t be able to see anything with a voltmeter?

Yes you will be fine with ether a digital or analog.
David is just confusing the issue. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2020 at 2:47pm
Well Pete I have 2 years of US Navy electrical and electronic training and a 2 year technical college degree in Electrical Engineering Technlolgy and can guarantee that no one can see a voltage spike using anything but an oscilloscope. I believe your training is in mechanical engineering. For simple “static” testing of voltage, current and resistance a DVM is totally acceptable. Not trying to confuse or deflect anything. Twitch or spike, whatever.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2020 at 3:25pm

Well Pete I have 2 years of US Navy electrical and electronic training and a 2 year technical college degree in Electrical Engineering Technlolgy and can guarantee that no one can see a voltage spike using anything but an oscilloscope. I believe your training is in mechanical engineering. For simple “static” testing of voltage, current and resistance a DVM is totally acceptable. Not trying to confuse or deflect anything. Twitch or spike, whatever.

David,
Sorry you've never had the oportunity to see an analog meter needle twitch. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2020 at 3:28pm
Of course I have but it cannot be counted on. BTW I received my electrical/electronic training in 1965, no DVMs were in production at that time.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2020 at 3:36pm
Dave

I think you have Pete twitching right now Wink

Easy enough to find out how long a "spike" lasts. Not very long.............one billionth of a second.

I think Pete has made up this "twitch" term.

By the way Todd, back to our regularly scheduled programming, I don't think you have a Faria gateway box to have to worry about in your 2002. Key word being "think" Wink
Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2020 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Dave

I think you have Pete twitching right now Wink

Easy enough to find out how long a "spike" lasts. Not very long.............one billionth of a second.

I think Pete has made up this "twitch" term.

By the way Todd, back to our regularly scheduled programming, I don't think you have a Faria gateway box to have to worry about in your 2002. Key word being "think" Wink

What is the box behind driver kick panel?
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2020 at 3:46pm
I have a heater behind mine. Unless you have a heater I doubt there’s anything besides a bit of dust. Hey KENO in the Navy we were looking for any spikes over 2 milliseconds.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2020 at 3:53pm

Dave
I think you have Pete twitching right now
Not I but I feel sorry for Todd after Dave almost had him going out and purchasing a tektronix.oscilloscope.to measure a simple voltage check on a PP. Cry

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2020 at 4:04pm

I have a heater behind mine. Unless you have a heater I doubt there’s anything besides a bit of dust. Hey KENO in the Navy we were looking for any spikes over 2 milliseconds.

I have a black box that all of the wires go into and come out of.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2020 at 4:37pm
Maybe it's a terminology thing

Your 02 has Teleflex gauges right? Maybe your 02 has a box with a different name like "black box" Wink

It's called a PME box, it has breakers and relays to function with the keypads on the dash.

DV Skier has an 04 with a Chevy and I'd figure Faria gauges so he may have a Faria gateway box in a different spot.

Tbarile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbarile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2020 at 4:44pm

Maybe it's a terminology thing

Your 02 has Teleflex gauges right? Maybe your 02 has a box with a different name like "black box" Wink

DV Skier has an 04 with a Chevy and I'd figure Faria gauges so he may have a Faria gateway box in a different spot.

I originally had teleflex gauges but had to swap them out for the Faria because they stopped working.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic