NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electrical Problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical Problem
    Posted: September-06-2020 at 10:04pm
The 87 Skinautique has a short I believe. I was doing a tune up and it was not wanting to start after adjusting the dwell to back within specs, the battery ran down. Tthe next day after a good battery charge things go dead after I turn on the key. Did some early testing. When the ignition and accessory breakers are turned on they light brightly and we have 12+ volts at the in side of the key switch. When the key is turned to the run position the breaker lights dim, a few gauges twitch and then drop back to nothing, and everything drops to 10 volts at the ignition switch (In and out). Will not turn over at all, not even a click. I do see a full 12+ volts at the 50 amp breaker on the motor no mater whats going on at the dash. I obviously have a volt/ohm meter but don't claim to be great with it or to have great investigation skills 

Do these symptoms give anyone an idea of where I should start looking?

For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

slmskrs View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slmskrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 1:27am
Did you remove and clean your battery terminals? Oddly enough yiu can get good voltage with very little load, but the connection goes kaput when you turn the key. Next thing after that I'd check the solenoid.
Gordon '97 Ski Nautique, GT40
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 8:18am
If the discharge problem started after you worked on distributor, I would look over the wires going to the coil.  Maybe one got scraped.  Also check choke & alternator wires.  I have also seen the wire nder the distributor cap be pinched.  Seems a big coincidence that it acts up after you work on it.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 11:26am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

If the discharge problem started after you worked on distributor, I would look over the wires going to the coil.  Maybe one got scraped.  Also check choke & alternator wires.  I have also seen the wire nder the distributor cap be pinched.  Seems a big coincidence that it acts up after you work on it.

What he said 

It worked, you did some work, now it doesn't work, I'd be checking my work as a starting point.Wink

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 11:53am
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 11:57am
The verdict is in, you guys are smart and me not so much. I found the positive battery connection a little loose, must have moved just enough when I put the charger cable on to make a difference. I am still going to go through and clean everything. Thanks.
1987 Ski Nautique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 12:09pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

The verdict is in, you guys are smart and me not so much. I found the positive battery connection a little loose, must have moved just enough when I put the charger cable on to make a difference. I am still going to go through and clean everything. Thanks.

Umm...........you got that wrong, it should be "you guys are experienced" and you maybe not so much  Wink
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2020 at 5:24pm
On the bright side dialing in the dwell has it running like a champ. Approve
1987 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic