NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water Pump Noise

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Pump Noise
    Posted: August-31-2020 at 9:19pm
I just replaced my water pump with a rebuilt unit. Pumps great, engine temp running nice and cool. 

It makes a noise that the old one didn’t, very hard to describe, not a click more like a swoosh and it is very rhythmic.

I took a close look at it and it is cocked slightly to the to the left (if you are facing the bow of the boat) so the pulley is misaligned with the belt slightly. I think this is what is causing the noise.

See attached picture, I think it is this bolt (Circled in red) on the pump body that is causing it not to sit correctly against the brackets. 

Is there supposed to be a spacer washer or something between the pump body and the bracket? Old pump didn’t have anything spacing it, but I also didn’t notice if it was misaligned.

Any ideas?

1997 Air/Sport Nautique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2020 at 9:34pm
Perhaps the pulley diameter is different or belt is wrong size?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2020 at 9:50pm
For some reason they all sit like that,I have 3, even the old 302 carburetor ones. I'm sure someone will come along and tell you that you should shim it straight but there has to be thousands like that. If you think it's the bolt maybe you can grind the head thinner. Don't know whats causing the noise......

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2020 at 10:49pm
Couple options, use a tooth style lock washer or a serrated flange bolt (might even be thicker?)
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2020 at 7:45am
Mine was the same way.  I put in an extra washer to shim it straight.  Just OCD on alignments.

As far as the noise, does the pump feel consistent when rotated by hand?  Maybe impeller was molded off center a little.  Probably will wear in eventually.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2020 at 8:05am
Trey,
Do check the alignment and see if that makes a difference with the sound. (it sould be aligned anyway)

How tight do you have the belt? Too tight?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2020 at 9:02am
I don't remember the pump being noisy when I spun it by hand before installing it, I will take the belt off and try it. I guess I assumed since it was a fresh rebuild it would be fine. 

I'll check the alignment, it looked off by eye, but I will use a straight edge.

How tight should the belt be? If I push it around the center in between the pulleys it deflects about 1/2".
1997 Air/Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2020 at 9:33am
Originally posted by TG3 TG3 wrote:

How tight should the belt be? If I push it around the center in between the pulleys it deflects about 1/2".
Sounds good. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2020 at 11:15am
What I suspect Pete that the rebuilder used a lesser quality bearing. When I rebuilt those 3,2 I sourced all the parts individually. The 3rd I bought a kit. The kit bearings only had the numbers on them no manufactures. When compared to the other 2's NTN's the bearings turned noticeably rougher. This was of course before the seals were installed,that seems to mask anything. I just did one for Zach and his Barefoot,he bought the kit from here  www.staycoolpumps.com/index.html  It seemed like a quality kit- maybe even sourced from where Sherwood gets theirs but all in generic packaging. No feed back from end user but was assured I would receive a 5 star rating Wink 
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2020 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

What I suspect Pete that the rebuilder used a lesser quality bearing. When I rebuilt those 3,2 I sourced all the parts individually. The 3rd I bought a kit. The kit bearings only had the numbers on them no manufactures. When compared to the other 2's NTN's the bearings turned noticeably rougher. This was of course before the seals were installed,that seems to mask anything. I just did one for Zach and his Barefoot,he bought the kit from here  www.staycoolpumps.com/index.html  It seemed like a quality kit- maybe even sourced from where Sherwood gets theirs but all in generic packaging. No feed back from end user but was assured I would receive a 5 star rating Wink 

I have contacted the rebuilder and he said if indicators point to the bearings he would replace it, so that is good. He is willing to work with me.
1997 Air/Sport Nautique
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2020 at 2:11pm
The rebuilder was Raw Pumps LLC. He had good ratings.
1997 Air/Sport Nautique
TG3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2020 at 10:13am
PROBLEM SOLVED:

Went to the lake this weekend and while there did some investigating. 

Turns out that the noise is actually coming from my alternator. Pump is running smooth and quiet. The slight out of alignment doesn't appear to be enough to wear the belt abnormally. I will keep an eye on that just to be sure.

Thanks to all for your help!
1997 Air/Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic