Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel pump eccentric

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel pump eccentric
    Posted: August-25-2020 at 6:04pm
I currently have an undersized, non-marine, electric fuel pump on my 1982 351W and want to convert back to the factory mechanical marine setup. Only after getting the right pump (Carter M60389) last week and trying to install it did I notice that my crankshaft has no eccentric fitted to drive the pump. Peeping into the fuel pump mounting hole, prodding around with a large screwdriver and turning the engine over by hand made that clear.

Is there any way of establishing with certainty what eccentric (one or two piece) is required for my cam without pulling the water pump and timing cover off? It will take quite some time to get the part, and I'd prefer not to have to go through the tear down process more than once if I can avoid it.

As always, thanks a lot for any help!
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2020 at 6:32pm
I don’t recall when the switch was made to the 2-piece eccentric... but since your engine has already been apart, and since its possible whoever worked on it could have put either style timing set on it, I’d personally err on the safe side and order one eccentric of each style and return the one you don’t end up needing. Just my 2 cents.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2020 at 6:36pm
Or just forget about taking the engine apart if it's running fine and not leaking. Install one of these. Commonly used on early-mid 90s carbureted and later fuel injected engines. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2020 at 3:34am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Or just forget about taking the engine apart if it's running fine and not leaking. Install one of these. Commonly used on early-mid 90s carbureted and later fuel injected engines. 

That's definitely an option. Though I would have to install an oil pressure safety switch then as well. I was hoping to keep things as simple as possible, but fitting an oil pressure safety switch certainly seems a quicker and cheaper job than fitting the right eccentric.

I've also seen the Carter P4389 being recommended as an original spec electric pump. Any reason to prefer one over the other? The specs appear to be virtually identical, except that the 4389 comes with barbed fittings, and has a 'Static Pressure Rating' (not sure what that means, or how it differs from output pressure) of 4 - 8 psi compared to the 4594's 5 - 9 psi.
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2020 at 6:43am
The 4389 works well on a Vortec we built recently. Agree with oil pressure safety switch, we used the A68301.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 8:56am
Update: I decided to go mechanical, and sourced the M60389 from a local importer. I also managed to lay my hands on a two-piece eccentric for a reasonable price (and I know where to find a one-piece if it turns out that I need it). I haven't installed things yet (will probably wait for winter here in South Africa).

Question: not knowing how old my timing chain is, should I order a new timing set and just replace that as well, seeing that I'm taking off the timing cover to install the eccentric in any event? I would hate to find a worn timing chain when taking the cover off and then having to wait for parts to be shipped.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 2:00pm
I would pull the cover and inspect the timing before buying any parts.  If your engine is running the nylon cam sprocket I would certainly upgrade to a new set.   If it has a metal sprocket and your chain still fits well, no excess slop I would run it.  Boats see very little use compared to cars so the timing is the last part to normally wear out, but Nylon sprockets are worth throwing away before it fails.

On your cam eccentric bolt make sure you use Red Loctite on the threads, if those come loose your engine dies due to no fuel pressure.  Had a buddy have this happen to him twice, I never saw his apart to see if he had a parts mis match, he swears it was all factory parts but it was just after his rebuild when it happened.  Pretty frustrating for him.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Wilhelm Hertzog Wilhelm Hertzog wrote:

Update: I decided to go mechanical, and sourced the M60389 from a local importer. I also managed to lay my hands on a two-piece eccentric for a reasonable price (and I know where to find a one-piece if it turns out that I need it). I haven't installed things yet (will probably wait for winter here in South Africa).

Question: not knowing how old my timing chain is, should I order a new timing set and just replace that as well, seeing that I'm taking off the timing cover to install the eccentric in any event? I would hate to find a worn timing chain when taking the cover off and then having to wait for parts to be shipped.

Since you have a new 2 piece eccentric you need to order a timing set for a 2 piece eccentric. 

You could also use a 1 piece eccentric and a timing set for a 1 piece eccentric 

You can't mix and match parts, well you could but it wouldn't work out too good Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2021 at 1:25am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

You can't mix and match parts, well you could but it wouldn't work out too good Wink

Duly noted, thanks Ken! Pretty sure I have a 2 piece setup, but I guess one never knows for sure until things have been opened up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2021 at 5:09pm
Update/conclusion to this thread: having pulled the water pump, timing cover and timing set, the two piece eccentric appears to be the right part. I ordered a Cloyes double roller timing set and will be installing these soon. Trials and tribulations of that process are documented here: https://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49691 .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic