NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Idle ? Carb Problem

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Idle ? Carb Problem
    Posted: August-11-2020 at 2:11pm
Finally got my 83 in the water after 21/2 years working on her. SN 351 PCM :
I'm a true backyard mechanic and can do some things but this carb may be a bit over my head.
Issues- 
1-I can't get the idle just right. Cranks up after a few tries and have to keep the gas till it warms up(seems to idle better).
After getting out on the lake the motor runs great, about 160 degrees.
When in Neutral idle was 1000 rpm's which I think is high.
2-After running around the lake for about 45 mins decided to head back, crusing along motor seemed to run out of gas. After a few cranks and pumping throttle at carb got cranked up and made it to ramp, then the idle issues started up. soon as I would take out of gear to neutral it died and would crank back up but couldn't make idle.
Lost; any suggestions
Thanks
JT

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2020 at 3:31pm
Do you rebuild the carburetor? If not, when was the carby last rebuilt?  What are the idle mixture screws set at (# turns out from lightly seated)?   Have you adjusted your float level in the float bowls?  Do you know the fuel pressure from the fuel pump at the fuel inlet?  How old is the fuel pump?

These items can have a significant impact on how the carburetor is functioning. For a carburetor to work properly, there are several factors that have to be working together and not against each other.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2020 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Do you rebuild the carburetor? If not, when was the carby last rebuilt?  What are the idle mixture screws set at (# turns out from lightly seated)?   Have you adjusted your float level in the float bowls?  Do you know the fuel pressure from the fuel pump at the fuel inlet?  How old is the fuel pump?

These items can have a significant impact on how the carburetor is functioning. For a carburetor to work properly, there are several factors that have to be working together and not against each other.

JQ

Rebuilt- yes
Idle screws -I thnik 1 1/2 tuns??
Floats -when I did rebuild last year
Pressure- don't know that
Fuel pump- Had a electric that went bad so cleaned up original and when I put new fuel sender, hoses, and filter.
dgabler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgabler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2020 at 12:36pm
So silly thing that happened to me. The PO who rebuilt the carb ended up Hooking the throttle linkage springs up wrong. The spring was pulling the butterfly closed vs open. This caused innumerable idle problems for me. My suggestion here would is to Check and make sure the springs are correct.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2020 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by dgabler dgabler wrote:

So silly thing that happened to me. The PO who rebuilt the carb ended up Hooking the throttle linkage springs up wrong. The spring was pulling the butterfly closed vs open. This caused innumerable idle problems for me. My suggestion here would is to Check and make sure the springs are correct.

Kinda a silly thing but the job of the spring(s) are to make sure the butterfly(s) close, not to keep them open Wink

The throttle cable has the job of keeping them open against spring pressure, whether it's the spring on the throttle shaft or the separate spring that hooks between the primary linkage and a mounting spot on the engine.

Otherwise, you break your throttle cable and ................hang on we're off to the races at full throttle.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2020 at 1:13pm
After a phone call to Rob , I called Holley and found that I used the wrong rebuild kit plus it had sat for about a year . Ordered correct kit and will update later.Thumbs Up
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2020 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Kinda a silly thing but the job of the spring(s) are to make sure the butterfly(s) close, not to keep them open Wink
Otherwise, you break your throttle cable and ................hang on we're off to the races at full throttle.
Or the brass pivot pin wears out.

David,
You like fast don't you. Big smile
Seriously, if you are having carb problems, don't blame the spring. Tell us what's going on and I'm sure we could help.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dgabler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgabler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2020 at 3:25pm
Oh my. I realize what I typed in there! I need to peek now at my carb spring setup and rethink everything.
dgabler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgabler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2020 at 7:45pm
Sigh. I was mistaken again. The PO has the carb springs setup in “go fast mode” I flipped it to safe and sane mode. Thanks for calling me out on it. Regardless, the wrong spring setup caused me idle issues so my advice of checking the spring still stands, spring location, that is another story ;)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2020 at 9:05pm
I kinda figured you had it right physically and just mixed up the description, especially after looking at your old posts today and finding the thread in the link below Wink

It doesn't have pictures any more, but it tells me that you found it wrong and fixed it back then.

So..........good job back then and verifying what you have now too

https://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42991&KW=&title=quick-fuel-carb-help
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic