Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Drive shaft 1986 Martinique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
qualls88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualls88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drive shaft 1986 Martinique
    Posted: June-26-2020 at 10:30pm
Good evening all!
Quick question.. I have a 1986 Martinique and the drive shaft recently snapped right up near the coupling. The rudder is directly behind the shaft so even after removing the prop there still wasn’t anywhere for the shaft to slide out without running directly into the rudder. Anyway, long story short I need a new driveshaft. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might can find one? Skidim only shows A.R.E. shafts and they are expensive. Was wondering if there was a good used parts website or anywhere else I could find one. Have to get a new prop too it tore mine up pretty good when it snapped. According to an old post on here I would need a 1” x 41” tapered shaft. I’m going to call Skidim monday and confirm.

Thanks fellas and/or ladies!
Jeff
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2020 at 11:48pm
Call General Propeller. The were CC's OEM supplier, maybe still is.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2020 at 1:10am
Darn lucky to have the rudder in the way other wise you would have had a one inch hole in the bottom of the boat. By the time your feet were getting wet it would too late to try to find where the water was coming from Check out this link. You need to check your alignment and get a safety collar on.   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
qualls88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualls88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2020 at 2:46am
Haha yes Gary I was very lucky that day! Could have been WAY worse! I’m calling GP on Monday as well and I’ll go from there. Probably a blessing in disguise because I’m sure it needs proper alignment which I’ll have done when I tow it to the shop. Also need my rear main seal replaced. I don’t know anything about a safety collar but I will now! Thanks for the help! 🤘🏻😁
Jeff
1986 Martinique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2020 at 7:48am
We’ve bought both GP and ARE shafts and both are good. GP can’t supply a 1” double taper for a 5” flange if you have a big block.

We have a shaft with a flange on it that came out of a Martinique, if you want to go used. $50 plus shipping, Read up on installing a single taper shaft before you decide to go used.
qualls88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualls88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2020 at 8:59am
Hi Riley! Any chance you could share a photo or photos? I’m very interested. I won’t be installing it I’ll have to tow it to the shop so I’m not sure about installing a single taper shaft. That’s what is in my boat now.

Thanks!
Jeff
jeffquallio@gmail.com
Jeff
1986 Martinique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2020 at 9:11am
Jeff,
The main reason double taper shafts are becoming so popular is the somewhat difficult process of installing a single tape shaft. If the engine is still in the boat, then the single taper shaft is installed from the aft forward without the coupling. Now, the coupling needs to go on but since the coupling bore to shaft is an interference fit, the coupling needs to be heated to expand the bore. If the coupling isn't heated enough, or cools before it's fully on the shaft, then you're back to square 1. Then you need to use the "long bolt and socket" trick to get the coupling back off the shaft and starting over.

What's the shop you are taking it to? Are they familiar with the interference fit?

Bad alignment broke your shaft so a proper alignment is a MUST.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2020 at 9:22am
Jeff,
Back in Aug. of 18, when you did the rear trans seal, was an alignment done?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
qualls88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualls88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2020 at 9:57am
I’m not 100% sure where I’m taking it. I’ll have to do some research but I will definitely be asking about the interference fit. I don’t know of any correct craft mechanics around this area so I will have to do some digging.

We were never able to reach the main seal bc we couldn’t get the nut off to get behind there to change the seal. So we just reattached the shaft. No alignment was done after that. So here I am paying the price for it! Expensive lesson learned. 😞
Jeff
1986 Martinique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2020 at 10:12am
Originally posted by qualls88 qualls88 wrote:

. I don’t know of any correct craft mechanics around this area

Jeff,
A CC mechanic isn't needed. Anyone who works on inboards will do but, make sure you do check them out especially if you use Bruce's (riley) single taper shaft with the interference fit. Also, we can walk you through this if you go after it yourself.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2020 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

We’ve bought both GP and ARE shafts and both are good. GP can’t supply a 1” double taper for a 5” flange if you have a big block.

Big blocks have 5” output couplings?

What’s different about the taper for a 4” vs 5”?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2020 at 4:15pm
Yes and GP does not offer a 1” tapered flange in 5”.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2020 at 8:05pm
Jeff, I’ll send you Photos Monday. Pm your email address.
qualls88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualls88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2020 at 10:22pm
just PM’d you my email
Jeff
1986 Martinique
Dcorrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcorrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2020 at 3:03pm
So, as a follow up to this post.  I have an 87 Martinique.  Shaft is bent, the mechanic just called and is having trouble removing the shaft due to the rudder being in the way.  Can someone point me to the correct process for removing a shaft, reinstalling the shaft.  Does the rudder need to come off?  If so, it would seem to be a pretty lengthy process by removing the fuel tank etc...
qualls88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualls88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2020 at 3:42pm
Yes the shop I towed the boat to had to remove the rudder in order to remove the prop and shaft.
Jeff
1986 Martinique
Dcorrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcorrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2020 at 4:04pm
gotcha, thank you for the reply...  not an easy repair...  taking out the fuel tank isn't gonna be easy or cheap.  
qualls88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qualls88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2020 at 4:15pm
My fuel tank did not have to come out thankfully. The way my floorboard is the rudder was reachable once i removed the back seat cushion and battery.. it wasn’t easy but it was reachable.
Jeff
1986 Martinique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2020 at 4:43pm
David,
I have to assume that by now you got the correct rotation stater. How about the new carb you installed? Were you able to get it dialed in? 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Dcorrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcorrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2020 at 5:04pm
ha, I tried to find my old posts and couldn't ever get to them...  but yes, as an update, I did get the new starter in and everything worked.  I also got the new carb in as well.  I had a good ol boy from town who tunes dirt track cars come over and help me install the carburetor.  He helped a lot because I would not have had the capability.  Oddly enough, we never really got it perfect and it ran rough for a while.  Sooooo... I put a bunch of seafoam in the gas tank, like an exorbitant amount.  Out of nowhere, the boat ran perfect almost immediately.  Sooo, in hindsight, I have this sneaky suspicion that the carburetor was not the only issue, but bad gas as well.  With the carb issue, i found out that one of our family members filled the tank out of an old 40 gallon tank that had old gas in it...  which of course is a problem.

This current issue was regarding my drive shaft stems from the same family member hitting something in the water, bending the front fin, damaging the second fin, damaging the prop and drive shaft.  Needless to say, family members borrowing the boat is getting a little painful.  This boat was purchased by my dad when I was 11 from Midwest correct craft in Angola IN.  The Meloon's were good friends of ours but we've lost touch over the years.  Jeff at Midwest CC did all the old work on it.  It has been in my family since new.  This is the first real damage that has ever been done to the boat.  Hopefully we will be able to get this problem solved without too much pain because I'm not the one paying the bill :) 
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2020 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by Dcorrie Dcorrie wrote:

ha, I tried to find my old posts and couldn't ever get to them...

David,
Next to your screen name is a down arrow. Click on it and a drop down menu will come up. Then click on member posts. You can then select posts newer than 6 months or older. Give it a try. 

Yes, family members can be a real pain. I've been through it with my son. Strut, shaft and prop too!! 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2020 at 5:26pm
Wow, just catching up on this thread. For a few hundred bucks extra, an ARE shaft is the way to go. The savings is labor with having someone install a non-ARE shaft, cuts that few hundred bucks down a bit.

Hopefully, the size of the bill generated by a competent tech will encourage the 'check writer' to pay more attention when borrowing a family boat. Wink
Dcorrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcorrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2020 at 5:29pm
we shall see...  and btw... your name says Ultrarunner...  I run ultras as well...  Pinhoti 100 coming up in November!  
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2020 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Dcorrie Dcorrie wrote:

we shall see...  and btw... your name says Ultrarunner...  I run ultras as well...  Pinhoti 100 coming up in November!  

Yes, ultras! Anything less than a marathon isn't worth getting out of bed for! Check your PM's.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic