NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shaft strut question...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shaft strut question...
    Posted: June-20-2020 at 8:27pm
Ok, so, I took a couple small bends to the prop tip today. Nothing not easily fixed when I got home. However, while I had the prop off I poked around a bit and this just doesn't look kosher...

Time for a strut bearing? Can this wait till end of season?

As for the prop, I'll send it out to have reconditioned and get a spare also. It's an ACME 422 12.5 x 15.5 4 blade.

For general all-around skiing for adults and kids, and in the course from time to time, is this prop a good setup for my 196?

Thanks,

Mark

Starboard side of strut looking forward.

Port side of strut looking forward.

Starboard side of strut looking aft.

Underside of strut looking forward.

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2020 at 9:01pm
It looks to me like you may have a bent strut and a drive-shaft alignment problem. To quote Pete: "shaft alignment starts at the strut". The drive-shaft should sit nice and centered inside the strut with good concentricity. Yours looks to be more than just a little off.

If you have a dial indicator, you can also check the drive-shaft to verify straightness or if it's bent. Either way, it looks like you have some work to do...

JQ

[Class, the word for today is "concentricity". It means circles having a common center]
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2020 at 9:09pm
Mark,
It looks like there's already a score mark on the shaft (seen in the first picture) so I don't feel there's much time left before you'll need to attend to the cutlass. Also, it sure looks like there's a alignment problem with the strut. I see the shaft is running low at the aft and high forward. This also would cause premature cutlass wear. How's the shaft in the log and through the hole in the hull?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2020 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Mark,
It looks like there's already a score mark on the shaft (seen in the first picture) so I don't feel there's much time left before you'll need to attend to the cutlass. Also, it sure looks like there's a alignment problem with the strut. I see the shaft is running low at the aft and high forward. This also would cause premature cutlass wear. How's the shaft in the log and through the hole in the hull?

Thanks for the input so far gang. Here are a few more pics. I'll open up the log tomorrow and look around. The shaft does turn freely by hand, and doesn't show any signs being bent from a visual. I'll see if I can scare up a dial indicator. Strut appears normal, and my gut tells me it's never been off the boat from my visual inspection. The scoring doesn't really feel like scoring, but the color of that one-inch portion of the shaft is obvious. But you certainly wouldn't have scoring that far aft on a shaft that doesn't move fore and aft....hmmmm....

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2020 at 9:50pm
Mark,
The score mark isn't the light color area. It's just forward of that light area and almost looks like it's starting to create a grove in the shaft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2020 at 10:00pm
I see where you mean Peter, thanks. I'll put a tool in there and check to see if there is scoring, and it's depth. Is any amount acceptable, or would a new shaft be in order?

Clearly a new cutlass is needed, along with a correct alignment. So with it all out, it makes sense to do it right with a long term solution.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2020 at 2:51pm
So, I got in there with a feeler and no scoring. Just a discoloration ring from the shaft in contact with the bearing. I'll get a pair of bearings coming and then do a proper alignment, with some help from here of course, as I've never had to pull a drive shaft in the past.

Can anyone make out this shaft designation? 6T 8 is the best I can do.

In looking at the bearings, I have a 1 inch shaft, is the consensus of the group to replace with the traditional 2-piece metal bearing?

Thanks,

Mark

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2020 at 3:53pm
What’s the 710 cap for on the engine? It’s a S19 lol
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-22-2020 at 5:05pm
Oh, the ole “upside down” pic! Ha! Thanks:-)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2020 at 10:56am
All righty then... A new 422 prop on it's way. Dressed out my old one and it'll be fine as a spare. I'll do a bit more filing of a few old nicks and give it a test. If all good, I'll forgo having it 'reconditioned' based on what seems to be a mixed bag of results.

I'm going to go ahead and replace the strut bearing. As TIm correctly pointed out, my strut is an S19. It accepts a 1 inch shaft. I see some different OD strut bearing measurements. Which is the correct one inch bearing that I need to order?

I'll also spring for the ARE shaft. Just seems so much simpler from an install and future maintenance standpoint. What would be the correct shaft length for this 96 196?

Thanks gang.

Mark
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2020 at 11:01am
Mark,
It's 1&1/4"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2020 at 11:40am

Mark,
It's 1&1/4"

It's a one inch shaft.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2020 at 11:43am
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

Mark,
It's 1&1/4"

It's a one inch shaft.

Yes, and the bore in the strut is 1&1/4".

You asked:

I see some different OD strut bearing measurements. Which is the correct one inch bearing that I need to order?
Mark

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2020 at 11:46am
Yeah, got it. Juuuust a bit slow this am. ;-)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2020 at 1:17pm
What was the OEM prop shaft length in this boat? I'd like to have the new shaft on-hand when I take all this apart, but clearly, the proper way to measure is with the old shaft out of the boat.

As of now I measure out at 50 3/4. Plus the distance I can't measure from the point where shaft enters and exits.

Thanks,

Mark

Other measurements look good: 4 7/8" from end of shaft to aft face of prop. And 7/8" from forward face of prop to aft face of strut.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2020 at 10:31pm

I'll also spring for the ARE shaft. Just seems so much simpler from an install and future maintenance standpoint. What would be the correct shaft length for this 96 196?

Thanks gang.

Mark

Call Vince at www.skidim   He will know the shaft length and get you set up with a new A.R.E. unit.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2020 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Call Vince at www.skidim   He will know the shaft length and get you set up with a new A.R.E. unit.

JQ

Thanks JQ, I shot them a note asking Vince to give me a shot, since they aren't answering phones.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic