Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holley EFI systems

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
nubf14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nubf14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2020 at 2:50pm
About 50 hours. I can honestly say I will never go back to anything else.  I will also say that an ignition upgrade to a Marine (https://performancedistributors.com/product/marine-dui-distributors/) performance distributor had a large boost. Great performance but even better starts/stops etc.  I can idle in the 500s now.  My old distributor was showing its age so I replaced both at the same time. BTW it was very difficult to find a right rotation which my boat required (special order so special PRICE!!)..
Darrell Sanderlin
1986 CC Martinique
Lake Wylie, SC
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-04-2020 at 6:05am
Back in June you mentioned finding out from Holley whether the fuel pump in the kit (a Holley 12-920) met USCG regs. 

I imagine their answer was Yes, here's a link to a Holley page on that pump with those "magic words" included. I'm not sure the wording was there back in June, but it is now  Wink

link

Originally posted by nubf14 nubf14 wrote:

I just finished my conversion (Holley Sniper EFI.) The first day on the lake was 6/3/2020 will keep everyone posted. The hardest part was the O2 sensor. I found this on eBay and was able to redrill all holes with 3/8 and make it fit perfectly.

https://www.ebay.com/i/222482543306

EFI installed
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bRgMZNWoRFMbyMre7

I have to remove the manual fuel pump this week (left as a backup plan just in case the EFI install failed). I purchased as a marine kit from Holley but never got an answer back about the fuel pump being USCG approved. That is the only outstanding item of the install. If I find out unapproved I will buy a USCG pump.

BTW runs way better than a carb but mine was in need of replacement ($735 vs $1235). Next up is DUI distributor but that is another season.

1986 CC Martinique (351W RH)

Oh yea, one last thing.............good job, the naysayers seem to be  kinda quiet right about now  Thumbs Up

tleed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tleed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2020 at 1:16am

My carbed Yamaha jet ski was problematic all the time until I had a 2-hour conversation with a boat mechanic. She told me it was my gas & that a can of SeaFoam & several hours (!!) of running would fix it up. It did.

About that time I bought 10-year-old, 62k-mile Taurus. The elderly original owner must’ve kept the tank full. When I dropped the tank b/c it wouldn’t run, I discovered about 3/8” of solid varnish in the bottom of the tank. I figured it was the solidified precipitate from the alcohol gas.

The boat mechanic informed me that carbs hate alcohol gas because that precipitate solidifies in and on the jets and needles & bowls & acts like chewing gum. It glues them in place. Hence the lousy running. If you use your boat regularly, you won’t see a problem, because you keep the gas moving. But seasonally-used engines with carbs, like mowers, snowblowers, and boats are a bad mix with alcohol gas because they allow time for the fuel to evaporate and leave behind the gummy deposits.

The boat mechanic told me I wouldn’t believe how many boats she fixed with SeaFoam. Apparently it has just the right ingredients to dissolve the alcohol/varnish deposits. But it won’t work in everything. Fro instance, if the carb is so blocked up fuel can’t flow, SeaFoam can’t clear out the deposits. My jet ski took about 4 hours of continuous running before it cleared up, and it was cantankerous the whole time until it suddenly, “mysteriously” quit all the hesitating.

I had beginning-of-season issues with every carbed piece of power equipment I have until I quit using alcohol gas in them.

Fuel-injected motors don’t have problems with alcohol gas because the fuel flows under much higher pressure than carbed systems. And FI systems don’t have tiny little orifices that are opened and closed by tiny little parts that can be easily glued in place by a small amount of sticky varnish.

Carbs & EFI both have their place. Lawn mowers would be a lot more expensive if they used circuit boards, computer brains, and high-pressure fuel pumps. But there’s a reason why today’s vehicles start & run so easily & get way better gas mileage while putting out a lot more horsepower. I don’t remember my ‘74 Vega very fondly, and I’d love to get EFI on the Chrysler 318 in my ‘74 Southwind.

Thomas

Thomas

1974 Southwind 18 with 318 cubic inches of reverse rotation roller cam "Moparvation"
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2020 at 9:26am
Sea Foam and other additives always spark a lively discussion...everything from sworn statements regarding miraculous results to “a fool and his money are soon parted”.  I have tried various additives over the years and have had good “anecdotal” results from Lucas Fuel Treatment and Klotz Octane Boost.  I did try Sea Foam on an older Chevy Suburban once. It blew a lot of white smoke for 5 minutes following treatment, but it was difficult to determine what, if any, improvement there was.  And, yes, I agree that ethanol fuels in certain applications is bad ju-ju.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2020 at 1:07pm
I use Sea Foam every year. No fuel problems! I know Pete will chime in about it being “snake oil”. A CC dealer told me to use it and it’s worked for me since 1997. YMMV
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2020 at 6:57pm
If you have never seen Project Farm on YouTube, he does some really good tests. He did one on SeaFoam.
'92 Sport Nautique
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2021 at 1:51am
Originally posted by MechGaT MechGaT wrote:

If you have never seen Project Farm on YouTube, he does some really good tests. He did one on SeaFoam.

Project Farm is great. Although it's kind of funny the way he delivers information
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2021 at 2:00am
Originally posted by nubf14 nubf14 wrote:

About 50 hours. I can honestly say I will never go back to anything else.  I will also say that an ignition upgrade to a Marine (https://performancedistributors.com/product/marine-dui-distributors/) performance distributor had a large boost. Great performance but even better starts/stops etc.  I can idle in the 500s now.  My old distributor was showing its age so I replaced both at the same time. BTW it was very difficult to find a right rotation which my boat required (special order so special PRICE!!)..

Sorry I'm late to the party. What did you use for you low pressure pump?  The mechanical lift pump?

I'm going to be installing my Holley HP EFI this winter and will be using the Airtex electric marine low pressure pump. 

Maybe others can respond to this as well.

How was the initial learning for the fuel map? 

Did you run a return line back to the tank? 

I'm going to be using the Fuel Control Cell and don't know if I can run my return to the FCC, instead of the tank.
DW1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DW1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2021 at 3:20pm
Alfa Don - On a pickup truck application I did not have good luck with (2) Airtex pumps, switched to Delco and all good.  May not relate to the low pressure marine pump but use as a data point.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic