Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Battery cable insulation?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery cable insulation?
    Posted: May-06-2020 at 11:08am
I'm replacing my battery cables (too much voltage drop across them). The only tinned copper cables I can find have silicone insulation. I understand that silicone is less resistant to chemicals like fuel and oil (which the cables may well come into contact with on occasion) than PVC. But I cannot get hold of tinned copper cables with PVC insulation. So which is preferable:

1. More corrosion resistant tinned copper cables in a less chemical resistant insulation (silicone), or

2. Less corrosion resistant bare copper in a more chemical resistant insulation (PVC)?

Thanks for any advice, much appreciated.
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2020 at 12:02pm
Right or wrong I used welding cable. Crimped and soldered the terminals. Used shrink wrap and then liquid tape. They will last plenty long for me. Welding cable is very flexible. I am sure there will be other opinions here also.

edit: per google**** Welding cable is approved for use in power supply applications in which the voltage does not exceed 600 volts. ... It makes a superior alternative to battery cable and can also be used in marine applications, but the insulation needs to be oil and water resistant as to not become saturated.Dec 11, 2018

Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2020 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Right or wrong I used welding cable. .

Originally posted by Wilhelm Hertzog Wilhelm Hertzog wrote:

tinned copper cables .

This is what happens if the cables aren't tinned.

Yes, the OEM cable isn't tinned but that's why it's a common failure.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2020 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Right or wrong I used welding cable. .

Originally posted by Wilhelm Hertzog Wilhelm Hertzog wrote:

tinned copper cables .

You are so predictable.
Time period that this happened?? What type environment???

Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2020 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

So rather go for the tinned cable with silicone insulation and try to keep it clear of any nasties in the bilge?
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2020 at 7:30am
Pete, are your comments in this Battery Cables thread still best practice for connecting lugs to battery cable ends? I.e. both crimp and solder? I'm aware that soldered connections are not recommended elsewhere (because they make the wire stiff/brittle and prone to shearing, I believe), but is it different with battery cable?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2020 at 7:48am
Wilhelm,
I still like to solder lugs on battery cables just to keep any possible moisture out and create the best connection. In my opinion, the warning about the practice is for connection that are being flexed such as a wire running to an engine component.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic