Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

79 nautique rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 9101112>
Author
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2021 at 8:55am
Thanks guys, only reason the timing light wasn't hooked up to the solenoid, because like a dummy i put the 2 battery wires on the inboard side between it and the breaker button, it's next to impossible to hook on without the clamp hitting the breaker and the whole metal to metal boat rocking back and forth electricity thing kept me from trying.

The #6 spark plug, didn't #6 have something to do with fuel pump installation?

Late start this morning, hooking up now, boat ride time, my buddy asked if i had sea tow, he knows i do, then said bring an anchor and a paddle. 

Forgot to mention before i set the timing to 11 it was pulling 15-16 vacuum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2021 at 7:16pm
It's a V8 and on a 351W, it's the 5th cylinder in the firing order whether it's a normal rotation or a reverse rotation engine.

That means that it fires 180 camshaft degrees or 360 crankshaft degrees after the #1, so those timing marks on the damper will show up just the same as they would for #1 when the light is hooked to #6.

Just makes it easier to keep the wire from getting chewed up by belts and pulleys since the timing pointer is on the same side of the engine as #6.

I seem to remember destroying a set of wires that way once upon a time. Wink

And the #6 comes into play to make it easier to install the fuel pump. You either put the engine at TDC on the compression stroke on #1 then rotate the engine 1 full turn or you put #6 at TDC. It's the same thing.

Makes installing the fuel pump easier because that's where the eccentric is putting the least tension on the pump arm.

That's what you did when you installed your pump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2021 at 4:27pm

Sea trial, it started and idled down nice, nothing seemed out of place and as far as i can see the packing gland nut is so loose the drip is coming out between the threads instead of out of the front of the nut.

admittedly i was skeptical but like captain ron said, "if anythings gonna happen, it'll happen out there"

it didn't sink, didn't leak, didn't blow off any hoses and after an idle stop screw and shift link adjustment

it idles in gear nice, definitely catching f-n-r correctly, making temp oil pressure and charging.

after a half hour of back and forth (in the channel, next to the spoil islands right off christiansons landing grant fl.) at and under 3000 rpm, couldn't resist the temptation and cracked it open.

i was dumbfounded how fast it went, with that 4blade o.j. figured 40 and i'd be happy.

so had to check the gps and fire up the other camera for an up/down wind short run.

this week is fluid changes alignment re check, once over the whole thing and more test runs.

the things a pleasure to tow launch load and run. No issues docking and it was windy and choppy.

Video sound is crappy, no idea what for. There is a hard acceleration towards the end and also thanks to everyone who had advice tech help and kept me going on this. Still more tinkereing but got some faith now she'll come back real well.
https://youtu.be/amRF8AL7zyw https://youtu.be/OoSNYeDsZiM

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2021 at 5:06pm
Something tells me you're probably glad you didn't throw in the towel and give the engine away on some of those not so good days Wink

And 48ish MPH, not bad at all

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2021 at 7:53pm
I am glad the towel wasn't thrown, and you and some other members played a big part in that.
I was very surprised at the 48, thought they were a 44 mile an hour boat and was looking for a 40-42 at this point. Test rides from here on out will stay around the 3-3500 mark.

Steering torque is non existent at any speed, non to the left, and a touch half way thru a right turn, granted the turns were done in the 20's and not sharp or hard, i see no reason to push it.
no reason to play with the trim tab and 99% sure i won't try to align the wheel since load wind tide etc plays a part. Right now theres even +/- rudder in both directions.

At this time i will retract (at least in part) my comments on the sucky trailer, it isn't too high, it loads/launches good and of course my modifications make it that much better. 

Wrap up parts on order or at least i hope it's the wrap up parts.

67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2021 at 9:24pm
I like your determination. Nice job too
I’m jealous of your 48, did you feel fast?
I bet you were surprised
You gotta nice retirement Toy now
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2021 at 7:03am
Congratulations 
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 7:24pm

Long day, some wet sanding and wax, deck transom platform and seats.
Windshield on and off twice,  it looks like a completely different boat now

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2021 at 2:04pm

shadow will be black, and touch up the t & u were i screwed up. Masking starboard now.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2021 at 1:37am
Nice looking

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2021 at 1:24pm

Port t & u touch up

Start the shadow tomorrow , problems are;
i don't know how long to wait before the new paint can be taped so i don't ruin it.
not sure if if it's worth trying to keep the gap between the blue and black shadow.
i suck at this, but managed to not mis spell nothing.
about 6 hours taping each side.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2021 at 5:37pm
Looking good

I think I'd wait what you think is an appropriate time, then wait a couple more days just to be sure..

Is the paint Rustoleum like the original stuff?

I'm not sure but I think somebody may comment on those registration decals  Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2021 at 11:02pm

It is rustoleum, 7727. The outline or shadow is rustoleum gloss black.
I'll call customer service in the morning and hopefully get some answers.
No rain thru thursday but if it has to sit till next week so be it.

I slapped the registration on it at the ramp the day of the first test ride.
They'll have to get pulled for the last wet sand and wax.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2021 at 1:34am
Your gonna need those 3 small decals on upper rear corners. The flag, awsa, and ‘since 1925’. They make it classic
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2021 at 8:37am
Looks great. If you are using painters tape, I’d say a few days is fine. Humidity/damp location is not your friend. Rear stickers can be had at garzon studio for $40 for all 6. Great quality and the font on the flag decal is correct. I had to call them to get the right set of 6 decals in a group. They were happy to help. On eBay there is a guy that sells reg decals in a font similar to Nautique. I got them for the tique and they are pretty cool. Search registration decals and Nautique or correct craft font. You can see mine in my “new to me 78 ski tique” thread buried in here somewhere.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2021 at 12:27pm
The old 79 era hulls were pretty fast compared to the 2001 hull.  I don’t know if it is the shape or the weight or both but my 78 seemed to be a good 5 mph faster than my buddies 1982 when he bought it new and that was before I pumped up the 351W for more power.   I ran a 13x14 3 blade, gave up a little hole shot for a better top speed.  It ran just over 50 mph.  I bet your boat would have more top speed with a 3 blade but your hole shot is probably pretty darn strong.  Nice work bringing your toy back to life.  They are a really fun boat.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2021 at 2:53pm

rustoleum is saying 4-6 days before the paint can be wet sanded so i'll give that before the shadow can be painted.
At that point think i'll mask the gel all the way around then mask, paint and pull tape off the letters for each shadow 1 at a time.

the edge gaurd wasn't supposed to show up till the 22nd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2021 at 2:27pm

i followed the razorblade marks from the original shadowing exactly with fine line and brushed on rustoleum gloss black, peeled the tape as i went along. Do the other side tomorrow. Is what it is, couldn't be sanded off, every letter and shadow the gelcoat is all sliced up.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2021 at 1:17am
It is funny how you see the little things in a boat.  Your bumper rail has the rope insert, my 1978 did not have that rope, I always thought the 79's looked so much better because of the rope insert.  The boat is really coming along.  A custom 1979 Nautique.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2021 at 5:04pm

Yesterday i used the same brush as on the left, today the brush on the right painted twice as fast.

same thing, followed the original razor blade slices with fine line painted and pulled as i went along

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2021 at 5:48pm

Want a good laugh ? Look what i found !
My windows in the dining room go all the way to the floor, 1959 jalhousie's original to the house.
I sweep every day, vacuum couple times a week, i don't always open the blinds but today on the floor in the corner of the front window laying in the grout line was this, wouldn't be surprised if it was the culprit pouring gas down the primaries but not real sure which side of the carb it's from.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2021 at 6:11pm
Yesterday 3 adults 2 1/2 hours with 1 1/2 between 3000-3500, some idling, couple times for a few seconds up to wot and 1 hole shot.
Nice to have someone drive so i could crawl around the engine and eyeball everything up.
It 's smooth as a sewing machine and responsive like an injected engine.

Got home hooked up the multimeter and vacuum.
Port started at 5/8 from light seat
Starb started at a heavy 3/8 from light seat.
Vacuum was at the bottom of green at start with engine at 800-820 rpms (tack is off by 150 -200 high)

Should i re do it at a higher say 900 rpm ?

Port idle mix turned in 1/4
Starb idle mix turned in a light 1/4, heavy 3/16
Vacuum is 19 ish.

I want to run the boat with the multi meter attached up to wot so i can mark the tach at 4400, seems like it will keep revving if allowed. I'll film the tach next time out.

Is it ok to run the boat up to wot with the multimeter hooked up and measuring rpms ?

https://youtu.be/6FRd2nJzVyo

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2021 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by wayoutthere wayoutthere wrote:

Want a good laugh ? Look what i found !
My windows in the dining room go all the way to the floor, 1959 jalhousie's original to the house.
I sweep every day, vacuum couple times a week, i don't always open the blinds but today on the floor in the corner of the front window laying in the grout line was this, wouldn't be surprised if it was the culprit pouring gas down the primaries but not real sure which side of the carb it's from.

Umm...............what are you doing losing carburetor parts in the dining room?

That your accelerator pump transfer tube, there's only one on your 4160 and it's on the primary metering block.(or at least it would be if you didn't lose it ) Wink 

Earlier 4160's had an orifice and a different gasket between the metering block and the body instead of this tube..

In your carburetor, with that not installed you have a huge unmetered internal opening and the engine runs crazy rich, so I'd figure that was your problem

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2021 at 4:35am
In my case at least the accelerator pump transfer tube was a 729 dollar part. 
Oh well maybe the old carb is or could be a good if properly rebuilt.

It's easy to lose parts in the dining room when the table in there is the only clean and uncluttered workbench on the property.

I watched some youtube, i didn't start with the idle mix screws opened to 1 1/2 & 800 rpms.
I started from where the idle mix screws were at out of the box & 800 rpms.

Should i redo it?  
Is it bad they are closed that much ? (port 3/8 open, strb 1/4 open)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2021 at 7:28am
The screws are controlling fuel flow during idle and contribute to the flow during the transition on to the main jets.

If you can bump it into gear at your desired RPM and have a slight drop in RPM (like around 50 or so) and idle around like that and if you can after idling like that, accelerate quickly and take off with no hesitation, things sound pretty good. Your accelerator pump supplies a shot to help here too.

If you're happy (and not curious) about the way it runs with things the way they are, you could leave it alone..............or you could note your settings on the mixture and speed screws and open the mixture screws and follow the video.

So.................I figure there'll be an update with how it is after your adjustments Wink

PS    All this is really saying is that you may be idling on the transition slots with fuel from the idle and main circuits and not on the idle circuit only
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2021 at 9:43am
Only ‘gear heads ‘ take there carburetor in the house, and dismantle on kitchen table
Well done
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2021 at 10:15am
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Only ‘gear heads ‘ take there carburetor in the house, and dismantle on kitchen table
Well done

Agreed.  It clearly shows your priorities.  My wife gets pi$$ed when I put engine parts in the dishwasher for deep cleaning.  She hasn’t yet caught the vision.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2021 at 1:14pm
JQ, we installed a new Dishwasher because my wife insisted.  Our 25 year old washer was working fine.  My son lobbied hard for me to install that in our garage for parts cleaning.  Many times I wished I had done it.

I can see it working well to clean a manifold, valve cover, timing covers etc.   Just don’t get caught!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2021 at 7:55pm
The dishwasher trick is next level gents
However I have put mopar blue painted engine parts in oven to ‘bake on’

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2021 at 9:22pm

There are welds to die for and drool over, These are not those.

These i call em pepto bismo beads.    

Maybe if the tig welder was set up in the dining room i'd be more comfortable and could spend more time on it every day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 9101112>
  Share Topic