Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

79 nautique rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 12>
Author
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 79 nautique rebuild
    Posted: April-22-2023 at 9:01pm
Just breezed thru the thread and was reminded of the help and motivation you guys gave me.

Again greatly appreciated.

Next engine and trans go directly to their respective shops for a rebuild.
Susan's 78 Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan's 78 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2022 at 2:49pm
I just came across your thread -- nice boat! My husband has these ST-360's and LOVES them! He bought them 40 years ago and they're pretty warn out and I can't find any rubber replacements for the broken boots. Any suggestions? Do anyone know of any other's out there?

My '78 Ski Tique Family Boat
Purchased NEW in the summer of '78
Restoring it LIKE NEW for the summer of 2018!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2022 at 11:07pm
Sold the ski boat today, absolutely positive it is off to a good home that is now a 2 boat family.
No doubt there will be many great times onboard for years to come
Both parties happy.

Bitter sweet, I only had it in the water 4 times for test/adjust/tune, and not since the last video, what 4 months ago in nov- dec, but i miss it already.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2022 at 8:57am
Sure does shine whatever it is!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2022 at 5:21pm
Hmmmm.....mystery mold.....hmmmmm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2022 at 2:53pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2022 at 2:49pm

New project ! What's the rush ?  
Well, the plug for the first mold of the next project got buffed today, so i guess it has started.

67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2022 at 9:19am
It really is a head turner. I bet you will get lots of thumbs up at dock.
Please start another project
80SN Barnfind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80SN Barnfind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2022 at 3:54pm
Congrats Wayout! Your skills and diligence really made the project turn out well.  I loved watching the progress in this thread, can't wait to see your next project!

Knowledge comes by taking things apart: analysis. But wisdom comes by putting things together.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2022 at 12:06pm
Thank you, but all i did was give a 3x5 fiberglass index card sprayed with gel along with non skid and paint pinstripes for him to match the colors.

I love it, in my opinion the color/design choice couldn't have been better,
(my upholstery buddy was more or less given creative carte blanche)

Been in the water a handfull of times, runs great thanks to some guidance, good advice and motivation from the members here on correct craft fan.
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2022 at 11:02am
Looks great! Have you had it on the water yet?
'92 Sport Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2022 at 7:23pm
Well done WOT. Thx for pics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2022 at 5:11pm

My buddy did the buckets last week and the rear bench over the weekend, it was just installed today

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2022 at 7:06pm

Making a true to size transom shaped patio table, it will be gelcoat finish glass and core construction on aluminum legs,
Rubrail across and stainless cupholders for exhaust tips. The masonite is just a template.

I really need a stencil or traced outline of the,    ( CORRECT  CRAFT )
                                                                                  (  competition ski boat )    signage for the transom

Also making a wider, taller and bolstered seat plug, for a side/ other project 

Upholstery has started on the ski boat i'll update after it's finished

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2021 at 2:21pm

not a bad day, got the house cleaned, evergleam up so i guess bringing the
welder into the dining room will have to wait another month. 

a buddy gave me the scoop on some skis i picked up the lot for 60 bucks. Keeping the ho and obrien pair with the holy fins.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2021 at 9:31am
I've had a grinder in my hands for going on 38 years, never knew they had a safety shield till i bought my first 1.
Never installed and always removed the safety shield, it just doesn't work with it on.
 Used them as a router cutter grinder polisher any where time or place.

They're always trying to twist out of your hand especialy when your just barely holding it for doing surgery then bam !  grooves chunks and burns on the fingers arms knees and legs whatever it gets a hold of.

While grinding the ski boat my 4 inch rattled it self apart (they don't like fiberglass dust)

Out of desperation i used the 7 inch polisher from harbor freight as a grinder, and i't's my plan to never buy or use a 4 inch 12000 rpm grinder ever again.

The slow speed 600 to 3500 polisher torques like mad to give you the rpms selected no matter how hard you lean on it. It doesn't throw dust as far, it routes cuts grinds sands polishes and is sugical X's 10 over and above the 4 inch every day of the week.

You can get 7 inch and  4 inch foam backing pads for velcro discs and they are way less expensive than the  flappy discs.     right now i got 36 thru 1000 grit,  another trick is to hole saw out a beat up pad to 2 inches and cut the centers out of the discs that have been used up along the outside, it's like having a 7, 4 and 2 inch grinder all in one, and for 40 bucks 

https://www.harborfreight.com/corded-7-in-10-amp-variable-speed-polishersander-64807.html

ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2021 at 9:53pm
Don’t sweat it Dan. Nothing a small angle grinder won’t take care of. I’d love to have a welder to learn that. BTW, nice detail routing out to flush-mount the dog house hinges. Can’t wait to get down there to check the beastie out!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2021 at 9:22pm

There are welds to die for and drool over, These are not those.

These i call em pepto bismo beads.    

Maybe if the tig welder was set up in the dining room i'd be more comfortable and could spend more time on it every day.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2021 at 7:55pm
The dishwasher trick is next level gents
However I have put mopar blue painted engine parts in oven to ‘bake on’
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2021 at 1:14pm
JQ, we installed a new Dishwasher because my wife insisted.  Our 25 year old washer was working fine.  My son lobbied hard for me to install that in our garage for parts cleaning.  Many times I wished I had done it.

I can see it working well to clean a manifold, valve cover, timing covers etc.   Just don’t get caught!
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2021 at 10:15am
Originally posted by 67 ski nat 67 ski nat wrote:

Only ‘gear heads ‘ take there carburetor in the house, and dismantle on kitchen table
Well done

Agreed.  It clearly shows your priorities.  My wife gets pi$$ed when I put engine parts in the dishwasher for deep cleaning.  She hasn’t yet caught the vision.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2021 at 9:43am
Only ‘gear heads ‘ take there carburetor in the house, and dismantle on kitchen table
Well done
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2021 at 7:28am
The screws are controlling fuel flow during idle and contribute to the flow during the transition on to the main jets.

If you can bump it into gear at your desired RPM and have a slight drop in RPM (like around 50 or so) and idle around like that and if you can after idling like that, accelerate quickly and take off with no hesitation, things sound pretty good. Your accelerator pump supplies a shot to help here too.

If you're happy (and not curious) about the way it runs with things the way they are, you could leave it alone..............or you could note your settings on the mixture and speed screws and open the mixture screws and follow the video.

So.................I figure there'll be an update with how it is after your adjustments Wink

PS    All this is really saying is that you may be idling on the transition slots with fuel from the idle and main circuits and not on the idle circuit only

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2021 at 4:35am
In my case at least the accelerator pump transfer tube was a 729 dollar part. 
Oh well maybe the old carb is or could be a good if properly rebuilt.

It's easy to lose parts in the dining room when the table in there is the only clean and uncluttered workbench on the property.

I watched some youtube, i didn't start with the idle mix screws opened to 1 1/2 & 800 rpms.
I started from where the idle mix screws were at out of the box & 800 rpms.

Should i redo it?  
Is it bad they are closed that much ? (port 3/8 open, strb 1/4 open)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2021 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by wayoutthere wayoutthere wrote:

Want a good laugh ? Look what i found !
My windows in the dining room go all the way to the floor, 1959 jalhousie's original to the house.
I sweep every day, vacuum couple times a week, i don't always open the blinds but today on the floor in the corner of the front window laying in the grout line was this, wouldn't be surprised if it was the culprit pouring gas down the primaries but not real sure which side of the carb it's from.

Umm...............what are you doing losing carburetor parts in the dining room?

That your accelerator pump transfer tube, there's only one on your 4160 and it's on the primary metering block.(or at least it would be if you didn't lose it ) Wink 

Earlier 4160's had an orifice and a different gasket between the metering block and the body instead of this tube..

In your carburetor, with that not installed you have a huge unmetered internal opening and the engine runs crazy rich, so I'd figure that was your problem

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2021 at 6:11pm
Yesterday 3 adults 2 1/2 hours with 1 1/2 between 3000-3500, some idling, couple times for a few seconds up to wot and 1 hole shot.
Nice to have someone drive so i could crawl around the engine and eyeball everything up.
It 's smooth as a sewing machine and responsive like an injected engine.

Got home hooked up the multimeter and vacuum.
Port started at 5/8 from light seat
Starb started at a heavy 3/8 from light seat.
Vacuum was at the bottom of green at start with engine at 800-820 rpms (tack is off by 150 -200 high)

Should i re do it at a higher say 900 rpm ?

Port idle mix turned in 1/4
Starb idle mix turned in a light 1/4, heavy 3/16
Vacuum is 19 ish.

I want to run the boat with the multi meter attached up to wot so i can mark the tach at 4400, seems like it will keep revving if allowed. I'll film the tach next time out.

Is it ok to run the boat up to wot with the multimeter hooked up and measuring rpms ?

https://youtu.be/6FRd2nJzVyo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2021 at 5:48pm

Want a good laugh ? Look what i found !
My windows in the dining room go all the way to the floor, 1959 jalhousie's original to the house.
I sweep every day, vacuum couple times a week, i don't always open the blinds but today on the floor in the corner of the front window laying in the grout line was this, wouldn't be surprised if it was the culprit pouring gas down the primaries but not real sure which side of the carb it's from.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2021 at 5:04pm

Yesterday i used the same brush as on the left, today the brush on the right painted twice as fast.

same thing, followed the original razor blade slices with fine line painted and pulled as i went along
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2021 at 1:17am
It is funny how you see the little things in a boat.  Your bumper rail has the rope insert, my 1978 did not have that rope, I always thought the 79's looked so much better because of the rope insert.  The boat is really coming along.  A custom 1979 Nautique.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2021 at 2:27pm

i followed the razorblade marks from the original shadowing exactly with fine line and brushed on rustoleum gloss black, peeled the tape as i went along. Do the other side tomorrow. Is what it is, couldn't be sanded off, every letter and shadow the gelcoat is all sliced up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 12>
  Share Topic