Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Brass drain plug vs rubber

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jay_L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay_L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brass drain plug vs rubber
    Posted: February-28-2020 at 5:37pm
I have a 1987 Ski Nautique 2001 that I picked up a few months ago.
The last owner was using the traditional rubber drain stop.

I read someplace that since the drain plug is threaded, it is better to use a brass, screw in style drain plug.

Does anyone have an opinion on this ?

Also, the new brass style only turns about 4 full rotations before it won't turn anymore. Is this normal ? I have cleaned the threads and they are clean. It almost seems like the plug is tapered ?

Below is an image. ( excuse the oil around the drain plug. The last owner did a sloppy job of changing the oil )

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2020 at 5:44pm
Yea it’s pipe thread, which is tapered. I don’t think using a rubber expansion plug is a good idea at all (which is not for tapered holes). 4 turns is plenty.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2020 at 5:47pm
Jeremy,
Evidently the PO lost the plug and went back yard hack with the rubber. Go with the brass threaded. Yes, the threads are tapered since they a 3/4" NPT (pipe threads). The taper is what seals pipe threads.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jay_L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay_L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2020 at 6:53pm
That makes sense. Thanks for all the great info !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic