Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need quick help on winterizing my new purchase.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need quick help on winterizing my new purchase.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2020 at 4:05pm
They screw into the block and hold. I used to winterize my neighbor's 377 Mercruiser. These plugs, which were everywhere, were the one thing that impressed me with it the most.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2020 at 5:06pm
For those that install anti freeze in the blocks, where does that product go when the boat is launched next year.
Anti Freeze is pretty toxic stuff to put in our waterways.
It think a system drain is safe and not toxic.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2020 at 5:07pm
Those are on my 95. The trouble I find with those Bruce is that the oring falls off of them real easy at the most inopportune time and into the most inaccessible place.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2020 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

For those that install anti freeze in the blocks, where does that product go when the boat is launched next year.

"Propylene Glycol based. Glycol based antifreeze is safe on your lawn, septic tank, and storm sewers. As it is a mineral oil it also will lubricate the seals as opposed to dry them out. But the most amusing fact about it is that there is nothing that suggests it is harmful to ingest. I wanted to back this fact up so I checked the MSDS and the only reference to health effects is it may cause diarrhea if ingested in large quantities. Many studies on rodents have shown no long term effect on them as well."

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2020 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

"Propylene Glycol based. Glycol based antifreeze is safe on your lawn, septic tank, and storm sewers. As it is a mineral oil it also will lubricate the seals as opposed to dry them out. But the most amusing fact about it is that there is nothing that suggests it is harmful to ingest. I wanted to back this fact up so I checked the MSDS and the only reference to health effects is it may cause diarrhea if ingested in large quantities. Many studies on rodents have shown no long term effect on them as well."

They say it's non toxic, but it kills my grass. Dump a gallon on your grass and see what happens.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2020 at 5:53pm
Like either of you two could find any grass when it's 100 below out....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2020 at 5:58pm
It's been a mild, warm winter. Grass will be sprouting in a few weeks...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2020 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Like either of you two could find any grass when it's 100 below out....

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

It's been a mild, warm winter. Grass will be sprouting in a few weeks...

Bruce,
Not here! I had -23 on the lezmobile thermometer on the way to work this morning. And, we still have about 18" of snow on the flat.

BTW, I don't have any grass to test the AF on come spring. I'll go to a neighbors and dump a gal to see what happens!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2020 at 7:27pm

These seem a lot simpler if you don't like using a wrench on the hex plug.. Harnden Marine make them out of stainless if you don't like plastic.

https://www.amazon.com/Mercruiser-Replacement-Drain-Plug-Kit/dp/B01LFS3KAC/ref=asc_df_B01LFS3KAC/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583932699466217&psc=1

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Those don’t look like pipe threads

That's because they're not

For something like the block drain that's usually a 1/4 NPT they use an adapter to go from the 1/4 NPT to the size of the plastic plug threads that are just normal ol' 1/2-13 straight threads with a little groove for the O ring that does the sealing
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2020 at 7:34pm
Is Canadian grass known to be fragile?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2020 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Is Canadian grass known to be fragile?

Must be, because the grass no sooner turns back to green after spring time fire up, then it turns brown again from winterizing. We blame it on Dave.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2020 at 8:03pm
Sounds like you’re winterizing too early?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2020 at 8:13pm
The 1st, (your favorite) got done beginning of August. The last beginning of December.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2020 at 8:23pm
Our winter has ended already, very strange for this time of year but I had to mow my lawn this week.   Usually don't do that till April.
I have not read the MSDS sheets but I was in Yosemete when a guy blew a radiator hose on the park highway and they had the police out there talking about him paying for an environmental clean up. They did not think it was non toxic.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2020 at 8:31pm
Mark, RV anti freeze is far less toxic than Prestone.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2020 at 8:34pm
Mr. D. the stuff they are talking about is called RV antifreeze and is developed / marketed for freeze protection of potable water and waste systems in RVs / cabins. Its ~3 bucks a bottle at wally world and universally used to winterize marine engines. This ain't ethylene glycol.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2020 at 9:35pm

I have not read the MSDS sheets but I was in Yosemete when a guy blew a radiator hose on the park highway and they had the police out there talking about him paying for an environmental clean up. They did not think it was non toxic.

Mark,
There are two basic types of antifreeze. The RV non toxic propylene glycol and then the toxic typically used in car engines which is ethylene glycol.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2020 at 1:29am
Boater still in training I guess.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2020 at 8:48am

Mark,
No, you just don't do as much winterizing in Californian as those who live in colder spots of the states.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2020 at 12:15pm
Why are you winterizing your grass Bruce
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2020 at 1:14pm

Mark,
No, you just don't do as much winterizing in Californian as those who live in colder spots of the states.

This is my 3rd boat but nothing like the other 2. I was in a pinch for time and all these kick ass people came through but one. Pretty good odds. I was able to drain all 5 drains and get 2 gallons of RV antifreeze through it before dark. It was 19 this morn and I feel confident that it will be ok. Thanks again!
1979 Calipso Runabout (the boat that got it all started)
1988 Mastercraft ProStar 190 (sold)
2000 Pro Air Nautique/GT40
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2020 at 3:06pm
Just to double check on you, how did you get the antifreeze into the engine?

In the video at about the 4:30 point he talks about sucking up the antifreeze and has a hose hooked directly to the water pump inlet but.........he talks about hooking the hose in the back by the strainer or transmission cooler inlet.

That's so that whatever you're sucking up goes through the strainer, transmission cooler and the line from the cooler to the RWP.

Hopefully you hooked it up back there, otherwise your strainer, transmission cooler and the line to the pump didn't get antifreeze through them.

If you just hooked it to the pump, before you get to excited, if you think about the hose from the cooler being disconnected at the pump, and you laid that down in the bilge it would drain the hose and the cooler but the strainer would need to have the housing unscrewed and drained.

Why only 2 gallons?, most people do 5 gallons to get the antifreeze run through everything and coming out the exhaust with the suck up method

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2020 at 3:39pm

They say it's non toxic, but it kills my grass. Dump a gallon on your grass and see what happens.

Bruce,
Are you sure it's not your dog?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2020 at 4:12pm

Bruce,
Are you sure it's not your dog?

Good call and I noticed that. I went for the inlet hose from the lake but I could not get that hose off for anything. I was able to get the hose off just past the strainer. I believe that hose also had the 2 tranny cooler hoses running back to the tranny. The only thing that I couldn’t get was the strainer itself but I was able to flush it. I also added 2 more gallons of rv a/f this morning. We don’t have much more cold weather in the forecast I don’t think. At least as far as I can see out. Maybe 3-5 more nights of freezing temps and it should warm up. Thanks again!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2020 at 4:39pm
I think you'll be fine then.

By the way. you'll get this quoting thing figured out eventually   

Seancc1988 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seancc1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2020 at 4:57pm
That's funny
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2020 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by C_Heath C_Heath wrote:

Mark,

Haha what a comment. 99.9% of helpful people and one with little mans syndrome. It’s ok I got it. Thanks to all that helped. This is my 3rd boat but nothing like the other 2. I was in a pinch for time and all these kick ass people came through but one. Pretty good odds. I was able to drain all 5 drains and get 2 gallons of RV antifreeze through it before dark. It was 19 this morn and I feel confident that it will be ok. Thanks again!

Chris, not sure whose remark you didnt care for, since I think MrMcD was referring to himself, not you and Pete was just poking him. Not sure if you have been lurking here for a long time and know how we get along, or if you just discovered us, but keep in mind, some of us have been on here together as many as 15 years. (wow, hard to believe, isnt it guys) and one of the rules of conduct we live by was stated nicely on this little meme(?) I stumbled across recently..

So, dont take offense to anything said, no harm was intended, welcome aboard, and glad you got the info you needed to get through this little, albiet annoying, cold snap. We've had a mild winter and when it warmed up last week (in the 70s for those of you not paying attention) I thought we had turned the corner toward spring, and then we get clobbered with low to mid 20s   Ugh.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2020 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Mark,

Chris, not sure whose remark you didnt care for, since I think MrMcD was referring to himself, not you and Pete was just poking him.

Larry,
I wasn't trying to "poke" at Mark at all. In Fact, I was trying to make him feel better about his boating and antifreeze knowledge since as mentioned, parts of California don't need to worry about winterizing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2020 at 12:57am
[/QUOTE]

Chris, not sure whose remark you didnt care for, since I think MrMcD was referring to himself, not you and Pete was just poking him.

[/QUOTE]

Lol sorry guys it’s NC for North Carolina. 🤪. My bad for not being clear. I didnt think about that. It’s all good men! The forum has Ben super helpful so far. I’m just thankful for the help. I’m sure it won’t be the last I’ll need. Have a great rest of the weekend.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2020 at 11:52am
Thank you ‘75 tique’ for your comments, well done
We should welcome all newbies with CC’s

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic