NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

O’brien World Team Comp ski

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Cape Cod CC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cape Cod CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: O’brien World Team Comp ski
    Posted: September-23-2006 at 12:59pm
I used to have one of these skis and although it is not a high performance ski it is a good middle of the road ski that is a lot of fun. Great for a 44 year old to get back into skiing with...

I know one of you guys has one kicking around. So dig it out and let me know what you want for it.

Thanks,
Vince

O’Brien World Team Comp

Keith,

Great new addition to the site! Keeps things focused and will increase your site traffic once the word gets out in the skiing community.
Cape Cod
1980 SN

Kevin's '79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin's '79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 9:00pm
Vince,

I have one of these but don't know what the length is. It has a carrying case with it. It is at my lake home and will be this weekend before I can check it out in detail. I'll try to get some pics for you.

Kevin
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cape Cod CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2006 at 1:45pm
Hi Kevin,

I knew someone would have one of these...

I am not sure what size I need. I weigh 190 and of average skiing ability. I like to ski at 30 MPH. Perhaps someone could chime in on what would be the best size ski. At any rate I am definitely interested and hope you get a chance to look at it while at your lake house. Let me know what you find out and how much you would want...

Thanks for your time,
Vince
Cape Cod
1980 SN

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2006 at 5:41pm
With a cla$$ic like that available, buy it no matter what the size. It's like gold!
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
Kevin's '79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin's '79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 9:33am
Vince,

I picked the ski up and brought it home. If you will let me know your e-mail address, then I'll try to send you some pictures. The Ski is a 66". The bindings were replaced many years ago with new O'Brien binding and are in very good condition. The Ski has some paint fading and some scratches. I would say it is in good condition. The carrying case is an O'Brien case and is made of vinyl. The case is in fair condition. After you get the pictures then we can work out a price.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 10:30am
Vince,

The 66 is a bit short for you at 30mph, ideally a 67-68 would be correct at that speed. You would want to run around 34mph on a 66.

Have fun!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cape Cod CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 12:08pm
Quinner,

OK, Let say I dropped 30lbs and I weighed 160 ( I know I probably won't do it )how would that ski be at 32 MPH. Thanks for your input...

Vince
Cape Cod
1980 SN

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 1:01pm
Vince,

Typically 180 is about the recommended max for a 66 @ 30mph. The ski would probably be OK 190 @ 32mph, generally if the ski is too short it may feel less stable and you will have to work a bit harder getting up and while skiing.

Take a look at Ski-it-Again or even this one on EBay.

CQ
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2006 at 12:43am
I say 68" at 190 for 30 MPH. Especially if you are in warm water. I always find warmer water a bit more sluggish. I am 190 and ski a 68" at 30-32 MPH.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2006 at 4:07pm
Just noticed this in the want ad..It doesn't mention the length- maybe worth a call.

O'BRIEN WORLD TEAM FIBERGLa$$ SLALOM WATERSKI
Nice shape. Blue-grn. $100; Located in Fort Leydon, NY. (Boca Raton, FL) (cell) 561-703-0088 u
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2006 at 4:24pm
I don't know if it is still the same design, but OBrien does still make a ski which they call the World Team. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cape Cod CC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2006 at 8:49pm
Thanks for the replies guys. I will give the person in FL a call and see what size it is. If I am lucky it might be a 68". I think the 66 that you have Kevin may be too short but thank you for getting me the information.

I should also check out the new ones and see if they are similar.

I will let you know what I find out. What a great community…

Thanks again,
Vince
Cape Cod
1980 SN

Feelgood M.D. View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Feelgood M.D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2006 at 8:50pm
I weigh 210 and find my 68 is a bit big, I got an Obrien mapple, I skied my buddies 66 and found it to be a lot easier to cut and that I don't ride the tail as much, but at the same time it was slightly harder to get up. Unless you are a pro, there are no hard and fast rules. Try to demo a 66, 67 and 68 and see where you like it. Additionally you can move the the bindings front and back to find your sweet spot in terms of control. Also, do you ski double boots or a toe plate? I use a RTP and get up with my rear foot out and find that to be a hell of a lot easier, but thats just me.
2000 SN 196

"Tubing isn't even a sport, it just f**ks up the water for the rest of us" -Quinner to a tuber behind a fishing boat on his private lake.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2007 at 11:11am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic