Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water strainer installation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water strainer installation
    Posted: December-28-2019 at 6:47am
My boat does not have a water strainer, but considering the amount of debris that came out of the trans oil cooler when it was last inspected, I want to install a water strainer. Two questions:

1. I've read on some forum posts here and elsewhere that the strainer has to be installed above the water line. Why?

2. Is it important where a flushing connection (like a 'Timmy T') is installed relative to the strainer - i.e. before or after?

Thanks a lot for the help!
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2019 at 10:02am
If you want to empty the bowl while in the water, it would be ideal to not have water pouring in while doing so.

Tee location relative to strainer doesn’t matter, but try to put it at the highest point to help the pump prime when the system is dry.
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2021 at 8:45am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

If you want to empty the bowl while in the water, it would be ideal to not have water pouring in while doing so.

Tee location relative to strainer doesn’t matter, but try to put it at the highest point to help the pump prime when the system is dry.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but Tim, just to clarify, you meant one should install the T (not the strainer) as high as possible, correct?

The local Sherwood importer eventually got me a strainer recently, but I haven't installed it yet.
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic