NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Really Dumb Question - I'm sorry

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
escmanaze View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escmanaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Really Dumb Question - I'm sorry
    Posted: December-24-2019 at 4:12pm
Ok, so first, I'm embarrassed to even ask such a dumb question. I apologize. Somehow I've skied my whole life and never learned this.

Can I start my boat and run it for a minute or two when it's not in the water? Maybe I just watch the temperature and be sure to shut it off before it gets hot?

Or is that not ok because my impeller will be running dry in there and it will ruin the impeller? Or is it not ok for some other reason?

If the answer is no, then I guess it is officially time for me to buy one of those "fake a lake" things. Any recommendations on those would be great.

Sorry I'm so clueless. thanks for the help.
bfootr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2019 at 4:27pm
Speaking from experience, you will most likely destroy the impeller by running it dry. Then, like me you’ll have to replace the impeller and remove the broken vanes in the lines.   Also fyi, even with water hookup to the engine, you don’t want to spin the propeller or you’ll run the risk of destroying the carrier bearing in the strut. Hopefully, this will save you the learning pains that I went through.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2019 at 5:01pm
Scott:

A better option is to install a "T" with a garden hose attachment. Very simple to do with Home Depot items. Probably less than $10. Call me and I'll help you build/install. For reference, you can look at the thread shown in the LINK below:

Timmy "T" LINK

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2019 at 7:13pm
Go with the Timmy T, it works very well and easy.

Thank TRBenj for perfecting it and sharing the how to details.

Less than $20 in your local hardware store will have you up and running with one.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2019 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

As promised, I did some shopping today in the plumbing dept. before it got too crazy with customers.

Here are the "Timmy Tee" components available at the HD. If your local store doesn't stock them, all are available on line at the HD website.

The actual tee is SKU: 1002-245-987 This is 1" barb x 1/2" FPT

Here's the garden hose adaptor. SKU: 0000-865-599 It's 1/2" MPT x 3/4" FGHT

Finally the hose valve. SKU: 0000-442-559 3/4" MGHT x 3/4" FGHT swivel

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2019 at 8:29pm
Also speaking from experience, with a standard impeller the quick & simple answer is no. In some cases I've heard of guys burning through a brand new impeller in just 15 or 20 seconds of running without circulating water.   Having said that, I've personally run the engine on previous boats for a few seconds as well when pulling the boat from the water - most times anyway. I only had to replace the impeller once with either boat and both times were after several years of use (not that I'm recommending this ...).   Now I have a 'run dry' impeller which is suppose to be able to run dry 15 minutes or so. I still do not do this, nor recommend it, but for me it's just an added piece of mind.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-25-2019 at 6:11pm
I had the habit of turning the key and starting the boat before every trip years ago. As soon as the engine fired I turned it off, I just wanted to know the battery was strong and the engine would fire at the ramp.
It worked for a while and then one day I heard strange noises when it fired. The noises turned out to be a torn up impeller. Totally my fault. Starting one dry is a crap shoot, it will damage the impeller and sometimes they just tear apart.
Use the Timmy T and you will be good.
The T also has the advantage of testing your vacuum on the intake side, if the T works you know the system is sealed tight so it will work in the lake or on the T.
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2019 at 9:00am
Take the belt off the raw water pump . Don't run it more that about a minute.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2019 at 10:57am
The TEE garden hose connections are a must for longer tuning runs in driveway etc
Borderline genius to loosen belt for 1 minute firing up checks
I also place a toilet plunger under boat to block scupper and keep garden hose water in system
bfootr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2019 at 11:08am
I used a 3-way diverter valve with some 1”
barbed fittings. Works great!
3 way diverter valve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2019 at 11:17am
Love that 3 way divert valve, do they come in brass
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2019 at 11:19am
Originally posted by bfootr bfootr wrote:

3 way diverter valve

Besides being simple and allowing running out of the water, one of the great features of the "Timmy T" is it being an open system, it will not mask problems with the RWP. With a closed system, the pressure from the hose will mask RWP issues.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2019 at 11:37am
Great point. Not intuitive but makes sense
bfootr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfootr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2019 at 3:28pm
I haven’t seen a brass version.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2019 at 5:20pm

3 way diverter valve

I haven’t seen a brass version.

Actually pretty common.

Try McMaster Carr

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
RealDeez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2019 at 7:28pm
I was looking at this one. They even suggest you bundle it with barb fitting adapters. At least they suggested it to me...

Amazon 1 inch brass diverter

I was planning on running it out of a washtub filled by a hose or something as a way to run/ test out of the water.
Lake James, IN
93 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2019 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by RealDeez RealDeez wrote:

I was looking at this one. They even suggest you bundle it with barb fitting adapters. At least they suggested it to me...

Amazon 1 inch brass diverter

I was planning on running it out of a washtub filled by a hose or something as a way to run/ test out of the water.

Keep in mind:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Besides being simple and allowing running out of the water, one of the great features of the "Timmy T" is it being an open system, it will not mask problems with the RWP. With a closed system, the pressure from the hose will mask RWP issues.

I highly recommend going with the "Timmy T"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
RealDeez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2019 at 7:51pm
Right. Wasn't necessarily going hook it straight to the hose though. And gives me the controversial option of sucking antifreeze through the system.
Lake James, IN
93 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2019 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Scott:

A better option is to install a "T" with a garden hose attachment. Very simple to do with Home Depot items. Probably less than $10. Call me and I'll help you build/install. For reference, you can look at the thread shown in the LINK below:

Timmy "T" LINK

JQ

Scott, you ski with JQ so why not just take him up on his offer?

Don't let him use any RED parts though
escmanaze View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escmanaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2020 at 1:16am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Scott:

Timmy "T" LINK

JQ

Scott, you ski with JQ so why not just take him up on his offer?

Don't let him use any RED parts though

correct, yes. I didn't want him to see me in my shame on here asking such a dumb question, but now that the truth has been exposed I might as well take him up on his offer for help.   Super good guy on the forum and IRL.

Thanks again everybody for the discussion. I appreciate it. I'm a little less dumb today than I was a month ago.
Ryjamsan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryjamsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2020 at 11:53pm
Where exactly would on place this on a 1975 ccsn
302ford
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2020 at 7:41am
Originally posted by Ryjamsan Ryjamsan wrote:

Where exactly would on place this on a 1975 ccsn
302ford

James,
Between the sea water thru hull and the trans cooler. If your engine has been equipped with a sea strainer, then I suggest between it and the cooler. In 75, strainers weren't coming from the factory.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic