NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Fiberglassic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiberglassic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Pump
    Posted: December-13-2019 at 11:15am
Hey you experts out there! Could someone help me locate a new fuel pump like mine attached? Its out of a 1980's?? LM318 engine, CC is a 1965 Cuda. Pump shows Carter as mfg., maybe M6866, but cant find one with the vent pipe above diaphragm.

Thanks...Scott
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2019 at 11:29am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2019 at 11:39am
Hi. I have a 67 Chrysler LM318. I’m using a Sierra 18-7264 (2279913). Try ‘marine parts express’ there is a schematic with parts number. Check your year and verify. Always use marine grade. I’m not sure the vent is marine.
There is a CARTER rebiuldable that looks correct too (M2504)
I will check year for you too, be right back
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2019 at 11:44am
For up to 85. I see 3745414 (Sierra 18-7254) part number for your 318. Appearantly minor differences
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2019 at 11:47am
Yes I see a vent on 3745414 (18-7254).
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2019 at 12:00pm
Of course you can but it wherever is easy and best price as Pete’s then and now. I just bought mine so trying to steer you to schematic and part number   Check then and now too
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2019 at 2:08pm
Then and Now is a great option. They recently rebuilt a pump for me. They make a lot of the internal parts in-house.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2019 at 2:11pm
Since you're looking for a new pump, I think 67 ski nat has given you a good number with the 18-7254 pump that has the leak off line to the carburetor flame arrestor in case of a ruptured diaphragm.

His 18-7264 works with his 67 model year engine because the leak off line hadn't come into existence yet

Since you have the fitting, you must have the clear tubing line going up to the flame
arrestor I'd imagine.

Your old one may be rather hard to get apart,and back together but you could talk to Then and Now
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiberglassic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2019 at 5:04pm
Yes, clear tube connects to a barb off the carburetor riser. Can I block that off and not worry about the leak off port on the fuel pump? Or is that a safe to have marine thing? The engine is not original to the boat. Previous owner had the engine professionally swapped out after his daughter somehow blew it up in the 80's. I have a pic of it in diaries, 1965 Barracuda in Raleigh, NC.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2019 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Fiberglassic Fiberglassic wrote:

Yes, clear tube connects to a barb off the carburetor riser. Can I block that off and not worry about the leak off port on the fuel pump? Or is that a safe to have marine thing? .

Call it a marine safety feature

And keep it
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2019 at 8:05pm
Thanks keno. I was even confused why he has tube and I do not. I feel better now
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiberglassic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2020 at 5:49pm
Found a pump on eBay that'll work. The in fitting is a 3/8 barb instead of threaded which is better because I converted to marine 3/8 hose last year. The out side is the very same except positioned just a little differently. This is the only one I could find, and let me tell you, I worked hard to find it. There are lots out there but only a few with the fuel bleed line I needed, all but the one I got had a 5/16 hose barb which was to small for my setup. It seems Chrysler used this in a few of their V8 motor cars in 1976 - 1978 only. This is why finding NOS is next to impossible.
Scott
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2020 at 6:11pm
Good job    The search is half the fun.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2020 at 9:56pm

Found a pump on eBay that'll work. The in fitting is a 3/8 barb instead of threaded which is better because I converted to marine 3/8 hose last year. The out side is the very same except positioned just a little differently. This is the only one I could find, and let me tell you, I worked hard to find it. There are lots out there but only a few with the fuel bleed line I needed, all but the one I got had a 5/16 hose barb which was to small for my setup. It seems Chrysler used this in a few of their V8 motor cars in 1976 - 1978 only. This is why finding NOS is next to impossible.

May be kinda silly of me to ask. but where's the tube for sending fuel from a ruptured diaphragm back to the carburetor?

I don't see one in your pictures.

Or is this gonna become a do it yourself marine fuel pump?

67 SkiNat gave you a part number (18-7254) for a Sierra with the appropriate line that's pretty easy to find for sale.

Here's one in the link below

link
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiberglassic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2020 at 10:51am
The tube had to be removed from the old pump which is done, and will be inserted into the hole of the new pump which I haven't done yet. The hole of the new pump functions the same way as the original pump causing a suction when the actuating lever is pushed.

I didn't go for the Sierra 18-7254 because the actuating lever was not the same shape, the tube and the upper part of the pump was totally different from the original, and no one could tell me for sure that this pump would work on my engine.

Thanks for all the inputs from everyone...Scott
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2020 at 5:29pm

The tube had to be removed from the old pump which is done, and will be inserted into the hole of the new pump which I haven't done yet. The hole of the new pump functions the same way as the original pump causing a suction when the actuating lever is pushed.

I didn't go for the Sierra 18-7254 because the actuating lever was not the same shape, the tube and the upper part of the pump was totally different from the original, and no one could tell me for sure that this pump would work on my engine.

Thanks for all the inputs from everyone...Scott

So' I guess it is the homegrown do it yourself marine pump.

Now if you'd asked in this thread if the Sierra 18-7254 would fit and work right, you would have got an answer

For the next guy with the same question the answer is Yes.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2020 at 10:49am
I had to make a home grown do it myself marine pump as well. I ordered what I thought was going to have to vent tube but no such luck as it arrived with one in the box but not attached to said pump. Next time i will get the one referenced above!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiberglassic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2020 at 5:01pm
Painted, installed, and ran my new home grown fuel pump for 5 minutes, all went excellent, and the engine immediately fired right up. I would go this NOS route again if possible for originality reasons and the cost was 2/3 less than the Sierra pump.
Scott
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2020 at 5:16pm

I would go this NOS route again if possible for originality reasons ]

Scott,
Glad it worked out for you.
BTW, I wouldn't worry about originality on your new engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2020 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I would go this NOS route again if possible for originality reasons ]

Scott,
Glad it worked out for you.
BTW, I wouldn't worry about originality on your new engine.

I agree with Pete   

Do you have a manual for that later (1980's) LM series engine with a good section on that Quadrajet carburetor?

If the answer to the above is No, do you want one (electronically) ?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiberglassic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2020 at 9:44pm
Keno - Wow, what a nice offer!! Yes please on sending me a electronic manual of the Quadrajet! I do have a very vague Manual of the entire engine, but nothing in detail. Let me know if you need anything further in email address that I'll PM you if needed.

Thanks...Scott
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2020 at 10:05am
Scott

The link below has the manual. 123 pages of info on the later 318/360.

You'll notice some things missing such as fuel pump info, but good stuff on the carburetor and Chrysler electronic ignition and most everything else

There's a wiring diagram on page 82

link    

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2020 at 10:31am
Hey your motor looks very nice. Have you been working on it
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiberglassic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2020 at 5:52pm
Yes, cosmetically only. Took the exhaust manifolds off last winter to inspect and repaint. When they were off, I paint touched up the engine wherever I could.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic