NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1956 Collegian restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567>
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2021 at 9:57am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

It sure looks good. I've never heard anything bad about their lumber. 

You have to make sure you tell them what you will accept and what will be rejected.  They have a skim cut service where if you are specific on grain and color they will skim cut a plank in the planer and accept or reject the piece based on your specs.  very inexpensive fee and well worth it to get what you want.

I sent them color and grain samples and they did a very good job with this load.  I've searched all around the midwest and they are one of the best.  I talked to Woodies restorations, they are going to start supplying premium lumber very soon with resaw capabilities.  Their stock looked very good and pricing was fine but the distance made it a no go.  They are boat restorers so they know what good lumber is.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2021 at 3:05pm
Think I'm at a stopping point for the summer on this one.  Pretty much got to where I wanted to be before pushing it into the corner for a few months.  Inner plywood bottom is permanently on.  

Hoping by the fall the material shortages start to ease up because everything I've needed has been quite a task to source.  I had to go with black 5200 because there is no Mahogany at my usual sources,  I can find it elsewhere but they want twice the normal price for it.   Same goes for screws.  We've been struggling with getting just about everything we sell at work also,  That's why we didn't run our typical sweatshirt sale on the CCfan webstore this spring, It's been very difficult to fill orders.  Reports show late summer we should start seeing inventory levels come back up but it has been a challenge.

Only thing I may do over the summer is get the motor home and dig into it to see where it stands, compression check, manifolds, etc.  I want to have it somewhat ready so when I flip the boat back over once the bottom is done I can test fit it before the sides go on.  Learned a lesson with the Hurricane so some mechanical work will get done before I close the hull up.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2021 at 7:07pm
Holy cow, I was pretty behind on this thread. Awesome work and I love the guitar amp cabinet too! 
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2021 at 12:21pm
Managed to string a couple of days back to back of free time so got started on the boat again.  Got all the bottom planks steamed and dry fitted.  Next will be to pull them all off and get everything CPES'd for install in a few weeks,  still some prep work to do before then.

Also plan to laminate the forward spray rails now while the chines are open and clamping is available.  Probably do that over the weekend.

Material problems still exist.  A 4x8 sheet of marine fir plywood that cost $65 a year ago now sells for $135,  almost no availability of stainless wood screws.  5200 adhesive is almost non existent too, I was able to find some in white which will be fine for the bottom since it gets painted but there is little to no Mahogany color left and where I did find it they want far more than it's worth.  Luckily I purchased most of my supplies last year but going forward might be interesting.

samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2021 at 6:08pm
Looking good.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2021 at 8:08pm
What David said
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2021 at 11:12pm
The Ghost of Christmas Past is smiling on you...

Really looks good.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2021 at 4:41pm
Thanks guys, good to be back!

Got one spray rail laminated today.  Only had enough clamps to do one side so we may get the other done tomorrow.  Decided to wrap it in wax paper, should make cleanup easier and certainly kept us from making a mess.
 Happy New Year Everyone!

Dry Fit

Glue up

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2022 at 10:27am
Finally got a couple of days together to get back to the boat,  this project has been dragging but when I do get time to work on it the progress is good.

I installed one side of the bottom a few weeks ago and got the other side installed Saturday.

The first side is faired in and with  a little luck will get to the other side in a week or so.

Everything laid out and Cpes'd

Bottom fastened and part faired.

illiniball2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote illiniball2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2022 at 3:01pm
looking good. can't wait to see it finished
Beer is my friend
87 Dominique
Had 67 Starflite
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2022 at 8:52am
2 wet coats of CPES and the bottom is done.

Next step was to sort out strut placement for the twin screw rig.

NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2022 at 9:54am
oh yeah - very nice

'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2022 at 10:24am

Why is it when we woodworkers, as we get older, develop more patience in taking projects like this on? It’s the love of the craftmanship we are capable of. We continue pushing ourselves to perfection. We don’t do it for the money. We do it for the satisfaction of a completed project to the best of our abilities. That is how we reward ourselves.

Fantastic Job! Thanks for sharing the progress of this beautiful inboard! And all the “little” fixes you had to correct. Been watching from the start.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2022 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by pjsmoreno pjsmoreno wrote:

Why is it when we woodworkers, as we get older, develop more patience in taking projects like this on? It’s the love of the craftmanship we are capable of. We continue pushing ourselves to perfection. We don’t do it for the money. We do it for the satisfaction of a completed project to the best of our abilities. That is how we reward ourselves.

Fantastic Job! Thanks for sharing the progress of this beautiful inboard! And all the “little” fixes you had to correct. Been watching from the start.

Thank you sir,  I am slowing down a little bit these days but I am enjoying this project quite a bit.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2022 at 3:05pm
So no bites on the twin screw huh?  You guys are either too sharp or sleeping, LOL

So locating the strut and drilling the prop shaft is always a little nerve wracking.  I saved the piece of keel with those dimensions and transfered them to the new bottom.  Then made a router template so I could get a nice landing for the strut.  Next was to use the drill extension that I borrowed from Pete B about 10 years ago and never returned  (Sorry Pete but thanks) to drill the shaft hole.

All went well.   Then 3 coats of Interlux barrier coat.  Will get a couple of coats of Hard Racing bottom on in the next few weeks and we'll flip her back over after 2 years of work.  That took a little longer than I expected but very happy with the results, absolutely rock solid foundation now.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2022 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

So no bites on the twin screw huh?  You guys are either too sharp or sleeping, LOL

I caught it Alan, I just figured you were going with the 1 in 2 out configuration for that little bit of extra umph.
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2022 at 8:59pm
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2022 at 9:01pm
Your craftsmanship is looking awesome !!
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2022 at 5:57am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I caught it Alan, I just figured you were going with the 1 in 2 out configuration for that little bit of extra umph.

Heck yeah... Go for that option Alan!! Big smile

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2023 at 3:34pm
Been a long time since I've made an update, lot's of reasons and changes so to make a very long story short here goes. 

I've actually been fairly sick for about 18 months, I had an auto immune reaction to the Covid vaccine and it made for a miserable year and a half.  It confounded 3 doctors as they performed just about every test under the sun to get me diagnosed.  In the end they feel that as my immunity started to wane my symptoms did also and over the last 3-4 weeks I'm really feeling good again.  Started working out regularly and am getting back on a ski this weekend,  it's been too long.

The other issue due to a lot of factors is we sold Action Screen Print back in January of this year.  That process was exhausting when not at 100% but we got it done and couldn't be happier.  We are both still working at the business but my last day of full time work will be July 20th.  

The boat hasn't moved in quite a while, I did manage to get the bottom painted and it will get flipped over as soon as I "retire".

This is where it's at right now.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2023 at 3:44pm
I also took on a small "warm up" wood working project to get me back on my feet and in the mood.  To add to the amp I put together for my son a few years ago I built a Baritone Fender guitar for him.  That was fun but a luthier I'm not.  It's in his hands now and he's finishing the assembly and electronics.

I'd like to take credit for the neck because it is absolutely beautiful but we purchased it pre made,  the body is all I did.  Fun warm up exercise and I'm ready to get back at the boat in August, promise to update regularly. enjoy

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2023 at 3:54pm
Sorry to hear of the illness and glad you are feeling better.  Looking forward to the progress come August.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2023 at 4:41pm
Well that's a scare for sure glad to hear your on the mend. You both certainly deserve a well earned rest. Projects are looking good but here is a tip - get as much done as you can before you retire in July, you will have less time to do things than you did when you were working. Can't explain it just is. Good luck to you both on your next chapter 
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2023 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

We are both still working at the business but my last day of full time work will be July 20th. 

Sorry to hear about the health issues and I'm sure the business issues were stressful as well, so glad all that is behind you.  So last day is July 20.  The timing of that is just about right to get the house sold and get moved down here to God's country.  You/we know you miss Quinner.
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2023 at 8:57am
Good luck on the retirement Allan.. glad your through the Covid after burnout with no energy, had the same for a good 6 months, your on the right track slow and steady to bring the energy levels back, as 75 said keep stress low,  you have plenty of time sometimes we are are own worst critic.

Good Luck Roger.    
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2023 at 11:43am

Glad to hear you’re doing better! What a bump in the road! The boat is starting to look much prettier!

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2023 at 1:16pm
Damn Bro. Sorry to hear that you've been ill BECAUSE of that Censored "Vaccine"! More and more I've heard more folks having serious health issues because of that Censored shot. Next door neighbor still having issues because of it. 
 Congrats on selling the Biz. I know y'all been wanting to sell it for awhile. Hope this doesn't mean the end of the Throw-Back T-Shirts. Unhappy

As far as the Collegian goes... You'd better get busy Magic. After July 20th You've got nothing keeping you in Illinois so It'll be time to load up the RV and everything else and head southeast to longer ski seasons, no white stuff and acloser to the Grand Youngins. Nice work on the Guitar. Wouldn't expect anything different from a master craftsman. Mayby you shoulda kept it and learn a few chords yourself. Guitar players always attracts the ladies but the Drummers Always gets the chicks. Huh Paul?? Wink
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2023 at 2:27pm
Sucks on the illness. Knew about the business. Glad you're doing much better. Lets get out for Chicago beers soon. If not, we'll see you up in GL in a couple short months. Retire??? and do what, make beautiful things out of wood??? Ha..
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2023 at 2:56pm
Beautiful Guitar, Alan.  Sorry to hear you were ill.  Hopefully, the shots paid off on the other end and you didn't get covid. Good deal for you and Dana selling the business. Happy retirement!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2023 at 3:24pm
Quick update, should start moving along quicker once the weather turns and I spend more than 1 day a week on it.

Bilge got one coat of paint and I started installing the inner plywood sides.  One side is complete and have begun filling/fairing it out.  Using a Total Boat epoxy fairing compound from Jamestown instead of mixing my own and I really like it.  Simple 1:1 mix and it stays on vertical surfaces very well.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567>
  Share Topic