Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1999 Longhorn Nautique Restoration Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1112131415>
Author
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2020 at 8:34pm
The exterior of the hull is completely done! Now we just have to finish the inside, floor panels, and then place the deck back on. This morning was exciting! The hull was set on the new trailer and I got to see the boat wheeled out into the sun for the first. Even the bottom of the hull is looking incredible. The boat really turning into something special.

Also, engine rebuild 2.0 is complete. As shown in previous posts, the damage was terrible but I found a shop to re-rebuild this engine but this time with pride and attention to detail. Now the engine is back home and I prepping it for a nice fat black glossy paint job. Then I will rewire everything and take it back to the dyno.

I also posted about my desire to reinstall the original GT40 Intake. Despite the loss of power above 3500 rpm with the original intake, moving to something more exotic that made more power just didn't feel right. This boat needs to maintain originality with subtle improvements not drastic changes.

I started researching the GT40 intake and found the mustang guys have had great success porting this intake and making incredible power. It just takes a lot of work and the knowledge of where to grind and where not to. I researched and came across Larry Ordonio of Precision Porting Services. He was very familiar with this intake. I explained flow issues and we went over the dyno numbers. He felt confident he could make this flow more thane enough for 408 cubic inches. After about a month, Larry transformed the upper and lower manifold. He ported and streamlined each runner. He also opened up the mouth to fit an 80 mm throttle body. This thing should flow like crazy. I then had the upper manifold powder coated by Jose at Diamond Powder Coating. They've done all of my powder coat work including the windshield and did phenomenal job as always! Excited to have the engine back on the dyno in the next month. Can’t recommend Larry and Jose enough, great guys to do business with.

1999 Longhorn Nautique
1995 Nautique Super Sport
https://www.instagram.com/longhorn_nautique/
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2020 at 9:26pm
WOW! Thumbs UpThumbs Up

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2020 at 9:57pm
Yes. Nice to see the Longhorns back
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2020 at 11:27pm
From me also, WOW!!!   That is really coming along now.  I hope you get to do some boating this year.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2020 at 11:44pm
Damn!  Nice looking work, Horns.  Well done.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2020 at 12:39am
Looks nice, yes I have made 800hp with same lower intake ported, since you already powder coated it not worth welding it up for a max effort and straightening out the runner. The upper intake is typically called the explorer model gt40 intake which you can send off to extrude hone worth 10-15hp is easiest way to do it. otherwise you have to cut it open and reweld it. I would think 70mm or even 75mm throttle body is about max the inlet can handle.  Glad you found someone to straighten out the mess in the motor, that sucks.  Looks like your getting closer!
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2020 at 9:40am
This looks great. I always thought stroking the motor and making it breath better was the way to go, given the requirement to remain stock-appearing. Will the restriction on power now be the exhaust?

I can't wait to see the deck go on!
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2020 at 4:26pm
Exhaust does flow ok. Not really options for better manifolds for windsor except of these that I found they are NOT cheap plus freight from Aussies. https://www.marinedirect.com.au/stainless-steel-marine-manifolds/
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2020 at 9:41am
Wow. That is beautiful work.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2020 at 11:27pm
Thanks everyone! It is getting there!
1999 Longhorn Nautique
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2020 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by rosconole rosconole wrote:

Exhaust does flow ok. Not really options for better manifolds for windsor except of these that I found they are NOT cheap plus freight from Aussies. https://www.marinedirect.com.au/stainless-steel-marine-manifolds/

I looked at those. I just couldn't justify the cost. I did go with a larger diameter manifold. The ports are bigger and the hose is 4". Definitely not a high flow design like a true header but bigger ports have to equate to more volume right? Maybe not.Regardless, I needed new manifolds anyways so we will see how it goes! The manifolds are GLM 56250 and the risers are GLM 56140.
1999 Longhorn Nautique
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2020 at 5:54pm
Yea the cost is pretty far out of sight.  Those GLM manifolds look like better than stock open chamber design, they say they run 30% cooler should be interesting .
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2020 at 6:23pm
Cost me around 2k all said and done with mine a few years ago. With what has been spent on the boat already it’s a drop in the bucket. Where the real problem comes in with them is the very severe restriction to spark plug access. The other minor problem is they are not bolt on and go. Mine required dremel work so that the bolts did not bind on the tube welds. Not a problem if I had known before hand but trying to accomplish that in the boat with limited tools and workshop made the job difficult. You cannot beat the “bling” though when you open the motorbox.....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2020 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Cost me around 2k all said and done with mine a few years ago. With what has been spent on the boat already it’s a drop in the bucket. Where the real problem comes in with them is the very severe restriction to spark plug access. The other minor problem is they are not bolt on and go. Mine required dremel work so that the bolts did not bind on the tube welds. Not a problem if I had known before hand but trying to accomplish that in the boat with limited tools and workshop made the job difficult. You cannot beat the “bling” though when you open the motorbox.....

It’s definitely still on the table as maybe. I am going to run gt40 2.0 on the dyno with the glm and then swap them for a set of short tube headers just to see how much power I am losing as a result. Depends on how big of a difference it makes.
1999 Longhorn Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2020 at 7:26pm
FYI when I bought mine awhile back while Alan is in Australia he has them built in China which so far has not been a problem. If you decide to get them PM me before you order them   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2020 at 7:50pm

Got to see the boat for the first time in a few months. All hatch and floor panels are complete. Gaps are nice and even. Entire floor was block sanded, wet sanded, and polished. It's like a mirror and about as level as you can get for a floor. I almost don’t want to cover all that pretty gelcoat with Seadek. The deck should be going back on within the next couple weeks. From here, I may put the boat on the back burner for a bit. Now that we bought the 95 Super Sport, I am not in such a rush to get Ol' Horney done. The delays due to Covid have actually allowed me to re-think a couple things on the restoration.

1999 Longhorn Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2020 at 7:58pm
That is some impressive sheen. I wouldn’t want to cover it up either...however, you’re committed. I might have rethought having the floor dimpled/checkered (non-skid) to allow it to be used as-is, such as a modern boat today and then simply made provisions for a snap-in removable carpet or similar. While you can still do the latter, it doesn’t makes sense in-as-much as the current surface really isn’t usable if wet. The surface needs to be covered full-time. Hmmmmm.....
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2020 at 8:03pm
What a beautiful deck! You’ve done a phenomenal job of craftsmanship that the factory would never undertake. This vessel will be a showpiece beyond compare. Great job sir.
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2020 at 12:38am
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

What a beautiful deck! You’ve done a phenomenal job of craftsmanship that the factory would never undertake. This vessel will be a showpiece beyond compare. Great job sir.

Thank you sir!
1999 Longhorn Nautique
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2020 at 12:45am
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

That is some impressive sheen. I wouldn’t want to cover it up either...however, you’re committed. I might have rethought having the floor dimpled/checkered (non-skid) to allow it to be used as-is, such as a modern boat today and then simply made provisions for a snap-in removable carpet or similar. While you can still do the latter, it doesn’t makes sense in-as-much as the current surface really isn’t usable if wet. The surface needs to be covered full-time. Hmmmmm.....

I was always planning on laying down Seadek or something similar. Pretty much any material I use will have breaks between sheets. I wanted to make sure the breaks looked as nice as the rest of the boat. I want the stuff you don’t see to be just a perfect as the stuff you do see.
1999 Longhorn Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2020 at 8:03am
Well, DOM, it’ll be beautiful! Already is. And strategically placed flooring will definitely let that floor show through.
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2020 at 8:44am

Well, DOM, it’ll be beautiful! Already is. And strategically placed flooring will definitely let that floor show through.

Thank you!
1999 Longhorn Nautique
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2020 at 7:37pm
Wow! That is astounding.Thumbs Up
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2020 at 6:35pm
The deck is finally back on. Next step is to start glassing the deck to the floor. There is an area in the walk thru where a carpeted inlay was used to hide the transition from the bow walk thru to the actual floor of the boat. Since there will no longer be carpet of any kind, the walk thru will now be glassed to the floor making a seamless transition into the cockpit area. Also, had to get "screw #1" photo :)

1999 Longhorn Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2020 at 7:03pm
Astonishing!

Engine exhaust?
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2020 at 7:11pm

Astonishing!

Engine exhaust?

I am going to use a fully stainless exhaust system with x-pipe and in-line mufflers. I won’t know exactly where those pipes will run yet. Once the engine, trans, water hoses, rudder tiller arm, etc, are installed, then I will work on the exhaust. Then cut the holes.
1999 Longhorn Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2020 at 7:45pm
Gotcha Don. It's been a long thread, as I remember that mentioned now. So yep, made sense to fill that in and then drill where needed. Dual exhaust? Let that baby baby breath! It'll need too.
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2020 at 8:43pm

Gotcha Don. It's been a long thread, as I remember that mentioned now. So yep, made sense to fill that in and then drill where needed. Dual exhaust? Let that baby baby breath! It'll need too.

Yes sir. Dual is the plan.
1999 Longhorn Nautique
Fabcon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fabcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2020 at 8:48pm
Looking good
1976 Ski Nautique 351 Escort
1984 Barefoot Nautique (Parting Out)
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2020 at 3:49am
That boat is going to be the finest 20 year old boat on the planet when you finish.  Looking great.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 1112131415>
  Share Topic