NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1999 Longhorn Nautique Restoration Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 131415
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by DHMcFadin DHMcFadin wrote:

The cylinder heads are made by Prestige. Check our their YouTube channel Prestige Motorsports. They do some pretty amazing work!

I hope the cylinder heads are in fact not made by Prestige. I just checked out their specs on crate engines - the 500 hp 427 is using a Dart head and they talk about it being fairly lopey idle as it requires an aggressive cam to reach 500 hp with that setup.   The 520 hp version uses an AFR head and a milder cam for a better idle and more hp across the board.   IMHO - That is the head/cam you are going to want not for the 20 hp but for just reliable well mannered boat use.   Worth the 10% premium over the dart headed engine as long was we are spending your money.   I would drop down to a 408 with AFR heads over a 427 with the Dart heads.   Actual installed hp with wet manifolds and some intake restriction might not reach 520 or even 500 but definitely a monster. Get the strongest prop shaft you can - and for my money avoid the ARE shafts for this application.

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 1:30pm
The cylinder heads are made by Prestige. Check our their YouTube channel Prestige Motorsports. They do some pretty amazing work!
1999 Longhorn Nautique
1995 Nautique Super Sport
https://www.instagram.com/longhorn_nautique/
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by DHMcFadin DHMcFadin wrote:

Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Wow, awesome project. I love the color. Hopefully it goes back to being a "sport" Nautique graphically though the extent of the Longhorn fandom is truly impressive.

New trailer too? Nice.

Since this is an open checkbook restoration why not just sell the whole GT40 and put a modern marine bobtail in there like a PCM 6.0? All the trouble to rebuild a Ford that they stopped making nearly 20 years ago into something totally bespoke to troubleshoot down the road. Plus you get ZO capability right off the bat which is worth it 10x over, maybe less so for boarding sports than slalom but it's still really really nice.

Graphically, the boat will stay Longhorn Nautique because that is how it was shipped from Correct Craft.

I had gone back and forth on engine choices for months, believe me. I looked at ZR409, ZR450, new 427 with dart block, etc. First thing I looked at was price vs performance. With a new 80 series transmission and either of the ZR engines, I was about 7k higher than if I were to stick with my current engine or have a new 427 built. The second thing that I kept in mind is that this boat is priceless to the family and I wanted it be restoration original as close as possible while improving the boat. I realized that the engine in this boat is still the original block and I thought, "how cool would it be to turn this original numbers matching engine into to something amazing". Since this boat already has a long story and a lot of memories behind it, I decided to stick with having the gt40 rebuilt into something special that way the "original" engine is still with the boat. Best of all, the gt40 intake manifold will be reused so it will appear stock.

From a reliability stand point, I completely agree with you. This was a big concern of mine when weighing my options. After speaking with Prestige Motorsports, they were convinced they could build me something that would be able to have the crap beaten out of it and still run 1000+ hours with no issues. Part of that reliability comes from forged internals and roller components. From a air/fuel perspective, the 427 will have multi port fuel injection to keep everything consistent and smooth and will be dynoed and tuned prior to arriving in Texas. The cam that will go in the engine will be very mild and to prevent reversion. It shouldn't idle any different than a normal GT40.

Last thing I considered was zero off. This boat was the first boat I learned how to slalom, trick, and jump behind. Hell, I landed my first "plop" behind this boat. From boys 1 to collegiate, I had the opportunity to use perfect pass, stargazer, and zero off. While I really wanted the newest tech (zero off) I realized that I skied just fine with perfect pass when I was growing up. Now that perfectpass is GPS based, I imagine its gotten even better. Yes, it's not Zero Off accurate but this boat isnt going to be pulling any world records lol. Perfectpass was what came in the boat so that is what I am going back to.

Thanks for your reply!

Good for you, hopefully the engine supplier has the skills and experience to get the application and tune correct for you. My only advice is to be sure that they use good cylinder heads... everything else they throw into that engine is likely to be wasted if they don't make the right choice on the cylinder heads.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 11:22am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Wow, awesome project. I love the color. Hopefully it goes back to being a "sport" Nautique graphically though the extent of the Longhorn fandom is truly impressive.

New trailer too? Nice.

Since this is an open checkbook restoration why not just sell the whole GT40 and put a modern marine bobtail in there like a PCM 6.0? All the trouble to rebuild a Ford that they stopped making nearly 20 years ago into something totally bespoke to troubleshoot down the road. Plus you get ZO capability right off the bat which is worth it 10x over, maybe less so for boarding sports than slalom but it's still really really nice.

Graphically, the boat will stay Longhorn Nautique because that is how it was shipped from Correct Craft.

I had gone back and forth on engine choices for months, believe me. I looked at ZR409, ZR450, new 427 with dart block, etc. First thing I looked at was price vs performance. With a new 80 series transmission and either of the ZR engines, I was about 7k higher than if I were to stick with my current engine or have a new 427 built. The second thing that I kept in mind is that this boat is priceless to the family and I wanted it be restoration original as close as possible while improving the boat. I realized that the engine in this boat is still the original block and I thought, "how cool would it be to turn this original numbers matching engine into to something amazing". Since this boat already has a long story and a lot of memories behind it, I decided to stick with having the gt40 rebuilt into something special that way the "original" engine is still with the boat. Best of all, the gt40 intake manifold will be reused so it will appear stock.

From a reliability stand point, I completely agree with you. This was a big concern of mine when weighing my options. After speaking with Prestige Motorsports, they were convinced they could build me something that would be able to have the crap beaten out of it and still run 1000+ hours with no issues. Part of that reliability comes from forged internals and roller components. From a air/fuel perspective, the 427 will have multi port fuel injection to keep everything consistent and smooth and will be dynoed and tuned prior to arriving in Texas. The cam that will go in the engine will be very mild and to prevent reversion. It shouldn't idle any different than a normal GT40.

Last thing I considered was zero off. This boat was the first boat I learned how to slalom, trick, and jump behind. Hell, I landed my first "plop" behind this boat. From boys 1 to collegiate, I had the opportunity to use perfect pass, stargazer, and zero off. While I really wanted the newest tech (zero off) I realized that I skied just fine with perfect pass when I was growing up. Now that perfectpass is GPS based, I imagine its gotten even better. Yes, it's not Zero Off accurate but this boat isnt going to be pulling any world records lol. Perfectpass was what came in the boat so that is what I am going back to.

Thanks for your reply!
1999 Longhorn Nautique
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 11:04am

New trailer too? Nice.

2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 10:51am
Throughout the next couple months, I will be putting a couple items up for sale:

-Complete GT40 fuel injection system with complete harness, ECU, fuel system, injectors, new FCC high and low pressure components, etc. The whole package.
- 1.23: 1 40 series transmission
-Complete exhaust system from the manifolds back. Hull hugger muffler and down pipes are in great shape.
-Possibly an FCT2 tower
1999 Longhorn Nautique
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 10:49am
This morning the boat will be taken down to McQueeney, Texas to have the engine pulled and start addressing all of the glass work that needs to be done. I spent the weekend taking the boat down to a bare hull and deck. All wiring and harnesses have been removed along with virtually every other part within the boat. Once, all of the glass, gelcoat, and seadek is done, it will go to San Antonio for upholstery and then back to my garage for final assembly and wiring. It's gonna be brand new when we are done!!!

1999 Longhorn Nautique
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2019 at 10:46am
Hey PN,

A couple months ago I posted in the new member section about a boat that was recently passed down to me. The official Nautique model is a 1999 Sport Nautique but we call it the "Longhorn Nautique" or "Ol' Horney". The reason being, in 99, my dad special ordered this boat from correct craft with a burnt orange color scheme and logos authorized by The University of Texas. Since taking delivery, my family has put over 4000 hours on this boat. As a result, the boat needs a lot of love. Now that the she is mine and after months of research and planning, I have officially begun restoring her. The goal is rebuild the boat better than when it left the factory while improving its performance and technology. Most importantly, the boat needs to remain tasteful. Here's a list of items we will be tackling this winter.

-The GT40 351 is the original numbers matching block (the engine has been overhauled twice in its lifetime but the block is the original). Engine will be rebuilt. Goal is 500 hp, 500 ft lbs, and maybe 60 mph with a 3-blade prop.

-The deck of the boat will be removed, all fiberglass will be properly fixed (lots of small repairs over the years, not all of them done right).

-New gelcoat over the entire deck, hull, and interior walls and floor will be sprayed.

-Complete Seakdek flooring will be installed. Floors, gunnel steps, interior walls, etc.

-Dash pod will be modified (after I make a mold of the original for future re-manufacturing ). It will be wrapped in a tan vinyl or marine leather of some sort with stitching.

-New gauges, switch, and radio panels with push button start built by New Wire Marine.

-New upholstery and new panels for every piece.

-Tower will be refurbished. There are some cracks and lots of holes from different speakers and lights throughout the years. Although, I have considered ordering a new tower from New Dimensions. We will see.

-Interior will be brought back to oem patterns but I will be adding some small details that should make it stand out when you look close. I'll also be incorporating an observer seat with flip down backrest for a Ski Nautique 206 so I can have more seating next to the driver. Lastly, I will be using a jump seat from a Ski Nautique 200 to add an additional seat behind the driver.

-Windshield, vents, and all metal parts throughout the boat including the engine support plates will be powder-coated black.

-All chrome will be restored.

-Ski pylon will be re-anodized.

-Complete JL Audio System with bow speakers.

-Full LED lighting.

-Perfect pass added (would love to go Zero Off but I dont want to mess with making a drive by wire throttle compatible with the Holley multi port fuel injection that will used on the engine).

Goal is to have this all done by May 2020 (I hope).

Here a couple photos of Ol' Horney in pre-restoration state:

1999 Longhorn Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 131415
  Share Topic