Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Swim platform

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Stuckers Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuckers Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swim platform
    Posted: November-03-2019 at 12:33am
I have a swim platform I have cleaned it the way it suppose to and then when I put the teak oil on then it drys up and leaves white spots on the wood. What would be causing this to happen. I have put 2 caots of oil on the wood.
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2019 at 3:04pm
Post a few pictures of it. How old is it? What product did you use to clean it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuckers Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2019 at 3:10pm
Teak oil and teak cleaner and brighter won’t let me post pictures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuckers Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2019 at 7:17pm

I use the teak oil and Teak cleaner and brightener
Mille1sj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mille1sj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2019 at 10:27am
I can see around the edges where it looks like you go a better finish, I would go back over it again with the cleaner and use a scrub pad or one of the star brite teak scrubs to remove any discoloration. also make sure when you wash it with fresh water to remove any cleaner before applying brightener or teak oil. If you still have discoloration after that, you may need to lightly sand the entire platform.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2019 at 10:31am
Mike,
It looks like you didn't let the wood dry enough. It may take several days depending on the conditions. IE: out in the sun or not.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2019 at 10:37am
What did you use around the edges that are a lighter color? Pressure washer? the white reminds me of my wood deck when I have tried to use a cleaner/brightener. Its like is bleaches the tiny pieces of wood white and has to be removed. Me thinks it needs more sanding or scrubbing as mentioned before prior to the teak oil.
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2019 at 11:03am
I was thinking similar, likely the water-based steps raised the fibers and created bleached filaments that need to get knocked off with a light sand after its dried, before the oil step
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuckers Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2019 at 11:05am
Thanks everyone and I did let it sit out in the sun after I cleaned it for about a week when it was 80° Or higher outside. I will try to go back and maybe sand it down again.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2019 at 3:41pm
Board is not clean enough.... power wash it + light sand or steel wool+ lots of oil= perfect
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2019 at 5:38pm
Don't sand it smooth or you'll have a very slippery swim platform.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2019 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Don't sand it smooth or you'll have a very slippery swim platform.

+1 on that.
I didn't even sand mine. Brushed it well to get it clean but kept applying Teak oil till it would not absorb anymore last winter. Tooooo much, Very slippery this summer, but hell, it looked great..

84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuckers Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2019 at 11:17am
Thanks everyone. I am going to do a light sanding and then power wash it.
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2019 at 9:01pm
Kind of changing the subject but still talking about swim platforms. I just wrapped my wife's birthday present on the swim platform in the garage because I knew that I wouldn't get caught. Platform has many uses in these parts.
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuckers Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2019 at 8:37am
Is there a certain steel wool pad I should use. Or will any steel wool pad work
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2019 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Stuckers Nautique Stuckers Nautique wrote:

Is there a certain steel wool pad I should use. Or will any steel wool pad work

Steel wool should never be used on wood. Small pieces of steel will break off, get stuck in the pores and then rust. Ether bronze wool of a non metallic like "Scotch-brite) should be used.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Otto Throttle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 12:03am
Sand, blow off with compressed air, and a couple of coats of Sikkens. Did it 3 years ago and still looks new. NOT slippery....

I have 3 great photos but the system will not let me post them

Otto
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2020 at 11:22am
Just started on mine but I have it off the boat with the hangers /brackets attached.
Question if I remove the brackets do they go back on and stay secure or should I just leave on??
If so suggestions on how to seal holes in back of boat so I can put in lake for a water test?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2020 at 11:48am
Not sure I understand your question about the brackets. As to filling the holes for a water test, this is just me, and I would never recommend this to someone else , but if I had a bilge pump that was working OK I would just stuff something soft in the holes, like foam,drop the boat in and water test. Call me crazy.
jterr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2020 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Not sure I understand your question about the brackets. As to filling the holes for a water test, this is just me, and I would never recommend this to someone else , but if I had a bilge pump that was working OK I would just stuff something soft in the holes, like foam,drop the boat in and water test. Call me crazy.

Its the 4 brackets that mount the platform to boat. I was just thinking of removing them off platform and put back on boat, but scared platform may not fit when I put back.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2020 at 3:30pm
No need to remount the brackets just for the water test. If you don't like my suggested method, then put the bolts by themselves back in, preferably with a rubber washer on the outside, and just snug, not tight.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic