Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bad day at the boat ramp

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
hspore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hspore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad day at the boat ramp
    Posted: September-17-2006 at 8:52pm
My well intentioned, but ignorant brother-in-law unhooked the rope on my 1980 SN, without telling me, and while backing down into the water the boat slid off prematurely. Go ahead and tell me "I told you so" about having a prop guard, but since the boat rarely gets trailered and stays in the lake/boathouse all the time, I never purchased an original CC trailer. In any event, I am in need of a rudder and a new prop. Go ahead and let me have it...recommendations that is, on what the best prop would be. It currently has a 4 blade on it....I want a good prop that will provide a lot of power out of the hole. Suggestions on where to buy would be helpful(Skidim?) and the rudder as well.   
Heath
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2006 at 9:20pm
It could be worse.My well intentioned,but ignorant brother-in-law just bought a Mastercraft.Seriously,sorry to hear about your incident.Unfortunately I do not have a prop recommendation,but I'm sure someone here will.Good luck.

Mike
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2006 at 10:00pm
sorry to hear it heath. I had an old Bayliner years ago that had the winch break while on the ramp. I watched in horror while it slowly rolled back and dropped the out drive on the concrete.

Guys on this site love the Acme 540 Check out this link and the OJ. Check out the Delta propeller add link on this site. Also just search on "prop" and you'll get many discussions on what prop to get. Good luck.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2006 at 11:52pm
skidim's not the best place to get props price wise do a search on yahoo or google and you'll find better prices, I used to have the best place bookmarked but don't have it any more I believe you can find an acme for around 275-300. Got mine for 250 but I don't use that source unless it's for me, sorry it's a personel friend that buys wholesale and doesn't buy alot of ACME props, if it was a merc ss that's different they have a bunch of extra's.

A prop guard would not have helped once it starts to slide back off the trailer it's past the guard and would have done the same.
92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92'NIQUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2006 at 6:25am
I bought a four blade Acme prop two seasons ago. Its worked very well for me.
I too was a victim of a snapped winch pin while taking my previous boat (Chaparral) out of the water. The bunk style trailers are so much easier to handle than the ones with rollers.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2006 at 7:37am
If someone new about the michigan wheel 4 blades for ski boats i could get you one for around $200.00 new in the box. all we use is michigan wheels on larger boats, i just dont know anything about the prop,
"the things you own will start to own you"
Mojoman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2006 at 11:26am
Sorry to hear of this "Lesson Plan", as my kids call it.... It'll hurt your wallet to know to never let that happen again..... Could have been worse.. Get her fixed and get her in the water....

Moj'
2_Nautiques View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2_Nautiques Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2006 at 2:06pm
Heath, what brand trailer do you use for your 1980 SN? I never tie my 88 down, only if I am going to tow a long distance. Never had it slid back, same goes for my 23' Cuddy. Just drive it on the trailer and take off. Just back it in and drive it off. Both are CC bunk trailers.
hspore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hspore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2006 at 3:32pm
...the trailer is a 3 year old Magic tilt..it came with the boat when I bought it, certainly not my choice....the previous, original owner bought it when the CC trailer rotted out years ago just for something to move the boat around when he had to. I keep it lifted in a boat house and have trailered it maybe twice in two years? It was out getting cleaned up when this happened. I used to work at Sea World Orlando years ago and watched an 86' slide off a CC trailer the same way - not a pretty picture.
...79' I took your advice and searched around but the best price I found on an ACME 540 was from SKIDIM since they give CCFan members 10% off - makes it about $329....anyone have another source?

Heath
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2006 at 3:43pm
We get discounts from both SkiDIM and Delta Propellor. Their prices should be pretty darn close.
hspore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hspore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2006 at 3:57pm
...yep, actually better, $308.75, no shipping charges.
Heath
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic