Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Problems

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
brad7114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brad7114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Problems
    Posted: June-11-2004 at 5:13pm
I need some help. I just purchased my first CC (1970 Mustang w/Holman Moody). I am very new at this so keep it elementary for me. After replacing fuel pump, oil, oil filter I finally got the engine running two weeks ago. In the process of replacing the floor of the boat I removed the fuel tank and replaced it the next day. I tried to crack then engine from there on and it will not fire up. It is turning over but will not fire on up. I know the carburator is getting gas. I do not think I am getting any spark on the plugs. I replaced the spark plugs, cables and still no go. I feel like it is a distributer problem (Mallory Electronic Ignition). What is my next step in going back from plugs and cable to see if it is a distributer problem or where else should I look? Again keep it simple. This is the first engine I have really dealt with on my on. I do understand that messing with a distributer can be risky if you do not know what you are doing. Please help.
Mustang Man
Opelika, AL
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2004 at 5:02am
Are you sure you are getting fuel to the carb? If so,run a jumper wire from the Positive Battery cable side of the starter solenoid or battery to the + side of the coil. Try cranking it again. Get a spark tester and hook it in line and crank to test for spark.You may want to rreplace the coil if you aren't getting spark after trying all of the above.
66polyhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66polyhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2004 at 5:31am
Let me get this straight. You had the boat running, tore out the gas tank, and floor, put it back together, and now it won't run. Did you disconnect any wiring besides the sending unit on the tank? Did you sever any wiring when you replaced the floor? Pull off a spark plug wire, stick a screwdriver in the boot and hold it close to a good ground source, and have someone turn the engine over to see if you have ignition spark>
brad7114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brad7114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2004 at 5:09pm
Alright guys I am have done all the test above. I put a spark tester on the end of the ignition coil were the distributor cable attaches. when the engine turn overs I get one spark and then nothing. I am going to show my ignorance on engine right here, but shouldn't there be more than just one quick spark there when the key is turned and held? Also should there be fluid inside the coil housing? Sorry for the dumb questions here, but I am trying to learn, so next time this happens I am knowledgable. Thanks
Mustang Man
Opelika, AL
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2004 at 5:36pm
Move the spark tester to one of the spark plug wires and try again but... this sure sounds like bad coil to me. There may be liguid in some coils but you shouldn't be able to tell The coil should be a heavy solid one piece coil.
brad7114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brad7114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2004 at 9:46pm
Rick,
I move the tester as you said and no spark. I can shake the coil and it sounds like it is 3/4 full of fluid. I will pick up a new coil next week and give it a try.
Mustang Man
Opelika, AL
brad7114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brad7114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2004 at 1:18am
Back to the drawing board. Replaces the the coil and ballast resistor tonight and the same thing engine turns over, one spark from the ignition coil and nothing else. As long as the key is turned shouldn't I be getting more than just one spark from the output plug on the coil? The coil I bought sounds like it is 3/4 full of oil also, so that must be how they are made. Where do I look next? Is there anything else between the ignition key and ignition coil that could be causing my problem?
Mustang Man
Opelika, AL
brad7114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brad7114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2004 at 1:55am
I finally got around to working on this today. I only have 12V to the coil if the ignition module is unplugged. As soon as the ignition module is plugged in voltage drops to 3V at the coil. Maybe a bad or shorted out ignition module? If the LED on the ignition module is not working it is not seeing the spaces in the rotor coming around so it is not telling the coil to fire. Right? Let me know if this make sense. If so is there any thing I can do to repair the ignition module or do I need to buy another one? And if I need to buy another one where is a good place to get one? The ones I have found online run about $90.
Mustang Man
Opelika, AL
brad7114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brad7114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2004 at 5:24pm
I retested after reading the testing procedure for the Unilite Module. The voltage should drop to under 3V only if the LED's have an obstruction between them(i.e. rotor is in the close position). I have 3V constantly. Which probably means a voltage spike probably zapped the module. I have another module coming in on Thurs. and we will see where that take us. Let me know if anyone has any other suggestions.
Mustang Man
Opelika, AL
jeff howell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeff howell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2004 at 11:37pm
I have a 69 mustang with a 273 chrysler. I had the same problem with the electronic ignition not firing. It had been installed before I bought the boat. After going thru all the pains of trouble shooting other things I decided to buy a new electronic ignition and it solved my problem. Some how it shorted out along the way.
jeff howell
brad7114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brad7114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2004 at 2:03pm
Replaced the ignition module and she cranked right up on the first try and is running like a champ. Thanks for the help.
Mustang Man
Opelika, AL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic