Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barefoot vs 2001 differences?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Crmaverick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barefoot vs 2001 differences?
    Posted: July-17-2019 at 4:13pm
I've been curious what the differences are between the mid 80's Barefoot and 2001 model. What are the handling/wake differences of the two?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 5:44pm
I'll take a stab at it, but there are others a lot more familiar than I.

Speed: 2001 mid to upper 40s   BFN upper 40s to low 50s
Handling: BFN has v-hull, straked, 2001 is essentially flat bottom from about windshield back. Hence, BFN is better/smoother in rougher water. You won't slide a BFN in a tight power turn, I would guess.
Wake, in terms of skiing. 2001 wake is not awful, but its not great. Its hard, not huge. Need a real good edge (which I dont have) to not have your ski bounced in the air.
BFN wake is terrible for skiing. Hard, big. you kind of go up one side, across the table, which is kind of high, then drop down off the far wake. That being said, the BFN is a dream to barefoot behind. Smoooooooooth table. My 2 cents, having skied behind both this season.
Wake, in terms of wakeboarding. I dont do that, so this is hearsay. 2001 is known for good wakeboarding wake when weighted down. BFN, or in general most v-hulls are not real good for wakeboarding, kind of mushy as I understand it.
Crmaverick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crmaverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2019 at 9:54pm
Was the barefoot alittle faster because of the big block or different hull?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 11:38am
Yes. Both. Tho here is something I never really thought about. The strakes on the BFN hull are referred to as lifting strakes. But its not like they lift the boat up out of the water to the point of less hull in the water. The chines are still in the water at speed. its not like Steve's Bass Nautique that at 75 is just running on the keel. There is still as much wetted surface in the water in terms of width. Difference may be that the bow of the boat is lifted so not so much of the hull lengthwise is in the water. Having thought it through now, for the first time, that is obviously it. The 2001 has all the hydrodynamics of a brick. The BFN is a little more streamlined.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 12:56pm
Not sure I agree with all that. BFN chine is barely in the water at rest, it’s out once the boat is on plane.

Stock vs stock, with consistent engine selection, 2001 and bfn return near identical top end performance (need to compare boats of the same year as speed potential for both hulls changed in 87).
Kat Daddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kat Daddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2019 at 12:27am
Reading the post, I get what you are saying, but my BFN is also a 2001? Did each 2001 have its own design? I love my barefoot, the raw power of pulling out of the hole, and the throaty sound at idle. Would you perhaps know what the top RPM is for that big block? My prop is an OJ legend 4 blade 13x16
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2019 at 3:40pm
The only hull feature that the 82-89 SN and 86-89 BFN share is the “2001” decal that Cc put on both. Wildly different hull designs.

That 13x16 will turn even a 454 boat into a slug. 14x14 was original, and 13x13 Or 13x14 modern (Acme) designs will run better. 4400rpm is the stated max RPM but optimal top speed falls off little when letting it spin to 4600 or so.
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2019 at 7:31pm
You can't exaclty reach in a barefoot if its on the trailer because of the V puts it that much higher out of the water. 24" draft vs 30" . owning both I can say the 2001 SN is a the crescent wrench of the ski world. Barefoot is more of 5lb sledge. There is some ever so slight differences I have noticed in the rear deck for what ever reason.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2019 at 9:09pm
There are certainly similarities in the deck styling and they share a lot of hardware (windshields, most running gear minus the strut, vents, lights etc)... but since the hulls are so wildly different, the decks certainly weren’t coming out of the same mold.
Kat Daddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kat Daddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2019 at 11:44pm
At 4k rpm im getting 47-48 mph with the 13x16. I do have an oj 4 blade 13x13, but never tested it to see what it was doing. Wld a 3 blade be better?
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2019 at 3:36am
I have OEM 3 blade didn't really like it compared to 4 blade OJ I have now.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2019 at 9:06am
The original 3-blade federal and the 4-blade OJ Legends are both very mediocre props compared to modern cnc Acmes. The most appropriate sizes for the big block DD’s are 3-blades and they work very well.

I suspect your top end speed isn’t gps confirmed? That’s a pretty optimistic top end if the boat was dialed in with the right prop... and that’s not the case with it lugging down at 4000.
zwoobah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwoobah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2019 at 12:02pm
Tim recommended an Acme prop for my Mustang. It transformed my boat. I previously had a Federal, which looked fine but didn't perform well. You won't regret spending money on an Acme.
1968 Mustang 16 - 351W powered
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2019 at 3:19pm
Some pics to help the discussion. This Barefooter showed up on Badin Lake recently. Good looking boat Greg! I even saw some barefooting behind it on Friday.

78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2019 at 5:50pm
Yup, good looking boat. Skis pretty good too, as shown in this video that David captured. Now, if we can just get the fisherman to call it a season.   

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2019 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Yup, good looking boat. Skis pretty good too, as shown in this video that David captured. Now, if we can just get the fisherman to call it a season.   

Are you just trying to see if anybody tries to look at your "private video" ?

I'd look but you have to get rid of that "private thing"
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2019 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I'd look but you have to get rid of that "private thing"

Stupid new Google/youtube posting procedures, terms, conditions....blah blah blah. Try it now. If still not available, I'll have to dig deeper into a solution. If things aint broke, why mess with them, but it was apparently some new regulations about posting "kid safe" videos, or something like that. In one place it says its private, in another place it says public and there is no way I can check it because, of course, it lets me see it. Argh.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2019 at 7:59pm
Whatever you did , it's good now
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2019 at 8:17pm
I set it so kids could see it.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2019 at 5:41am
It looks a little cold for a Barefoot run but more power to you.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2019 at 9:46am
Greg, that BFN looks beautiful!

David, nice job skiing!
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2019 at 10:23am
Wish I could ski like that. Larry skiing in that take. I was photog.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2019 at 12:06pm
So Larry, now I have to warn my kids not to watch the video? Totally irresponsible to make that public.

Awesome boat, impressive chilly run. We are waiting for our foot of snow to arrive tonight through Tuesday morning, and you are out on the lake. Just not fair!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2019 at 3:08pm
I suspect lots of fuses are on board on this one!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic