NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM Roller Block?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM Roller Block?
    Posted: March-14-2019 at 1:25am
My S.N. has the Pro Boss H.O. engine -- 1994. Did PCM use the Ford 351W roller block in their marine conversion engines?

I assume that the casting location on my block is on the starboard side of the engine block, down by the starter. I used my inspection mirror, but I can't quite make out the block casting numbers.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2019 at 2:00am
It's possible- all blocks after a certain date were roller capable. You really need to check the casting. I'm not sure you can see it unless the starter is removed. Your looking for F4TE cast into it. I have a picture but cant at the moment get it off the phone to the PC. The number is on a ledge that faces down toward the starter
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2019 at 10:11am
I think I have the answer now to around when Ford marine blocks went roller.

I picked up a GT40 core from a 1995 SN. No roller block there. Just pulled apart a 1996 carby PCM 351. Roller block in the 1996.

Your 94 is likely a flat tappet block.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2019 at 11:59pm
Well...off to the junk yards to find an F4TE block. No real hurry, I'm just thinking about next winter's project.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2019 at 9:45am
JQ

Here's one all done up in your favorite color, or was that somebody else's color?   

That "somebody else" just mixes them all together.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2021 at 7:50pm
To resurrect this old thread I started a couple of years ago...Back then, I had a 1994 high-output non-GT40 SBF engine.  Now my 2001 model SNOB year has the GT40.  I've been toying with the idea of warming the engine up with new aluminum heads, cam, etc.  Running at altitude has decreased my HP to-the-wheel by 25%.

Is this 2001 block roller ready?  If so, why did PCM choose to NOT go roller valve train?

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2021 at 7:59pm
I figure they wouldn't change something that was about to disappear from their lineup and besides, they bought the engines from Ford, they didn't turn a 351W into a Gt40 themselves, Ford built the engines and sold them to PCM, OMC/Volvo with minor differences.

You should toy with the idea of finding someone who's done what you're thinking of and didn't have tuning issues because of the tuning limitations of the ECM with substantial power changes.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2021 at 11:52pm
Ken:  I'm aware that ECM tuning will likely pose a challenge when dealing with significant performance upgrades.  This may seem bassackwards to some, but retro-mod from MP-EFI to a conventional distributor and carburetor may provide the best net results.  The performance upgrades won't come cheap...I'm guessing $3,500 to $4,000 for cam, lifters, intake, roller rockers, fully-dressed heads, dizzy and carb.

I may get the bore-snake camera and pull a valve cover and see if I can get a look into the lifter valley and determine if I have a roller-ready block.

How bad do I really want to do this?  (Please make the voices in my head go away...)
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2021 at 5:31am
Now I get it

You're suffering from DUI/QF separation anxiety.

You and only you can make those voices go away Jonny Wink

If it was me, I'd probably spend some more of your money and build a whole new engine and keep this one as a spare or sell the engine whole when you're happy with the new one. You might come out ahead dollar wise selling it afterwards

I'm a real big help aren't I ?

Need help with any other decisions, just let me know Wink

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2021 at 8:02am
As long as we can watch!

Seriously, came to the wrong place to be talked out of it

Yeah I think answer the roller block question first

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2021 at 8:08am
Why not just pull the starter and get the block casting number? F4TE is a roller block. If I recall correctly any block after 94 is a roller block. Why not consider something like a Megasquirt conversion? What did Dominic end up with on the Longhorn boat? Seems to me he stuck with FI
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2021 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

You're suffering from DUI/QF separation anxiety.

That made me laugh...probably more true than you realize.  I haven't touched a 4-barrel carburetor in over a year and now I get the sweats when I see an empty rebuilding bench in my shop.

"Hello.  My name is Johnny and I'm a carbaholic"
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2021 at 3:56pm
I vote build another engine and leave alone what you got. My friend had a very weathered Moomba Outback with a carbureted 351 HO in it. Pretty sure it was a PCM. Would have been a perfect donor for you. Hydrodyne was also using PCM Fords.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2021 at 5:42pm
You ain't no carboholic unless you keep one on the nightstand Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic