NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedbuffing gelcoat

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
weitekampt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: buffing gelcoat
    Posted: September-08-2006 at 8:50am
Can a person buff the boat too much. I have a craftsman car buffer from sears. It is a low speed orbital jobber. Does a fantastic job. I use a polish/sealer on the boat and it looks great. I am concerned that I can buff too much. I know I have waxed my truck too much and I have taken the pigment out of the paint. BAD.

Any suggestions?
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2006 at 9:41am
You'd have to do a LOT of buffing with some serious compound to go through the gelcoat. Gelcoat is much harder than paint, and CC puts it on pretty thick (1/16" maybe?). I wetsanded my top deck, starting with 320 grit and ending with 1000. I then hit it with several grades of compounds and polishes on a rotary buffer.

I dont think you have anything to worry about. Polish away!
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2006 at 10:48am
The only real damage you can do to gelcoat is burning it with a high speed polisher but then only if you work at it. Nothing to worry about with an orbital buffer.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2006 at 1:10am
Right you are DavidF...you can put burn marks in...but you have to be using a real heavy cut compound and leave it in one area too long or too dry!

Buff the hell out of it! I use a high speed buffer with 3M perfect it III...great results...follow it up with micro finish and wax. High speed rotory will do much more than the orbital(if you want that gla$$ look)...orbital buffers are nice for waxing!

Todd...it just so happens, that I emailed you on this subject about a hour ago (before seeing the post)....using a good compound and finish with a high speed buffer will make it easier to clean your hull...taking down the pores left by oxidization! That Minn. river Green Sh*t will go away with little effort!
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

weitekampt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2006 at 11:59pm
Thanks guys! I am sorry for being late on replying, but I am in Iowa on business. Just figured out the hotel wireless. I will consider looking into a high speed buffer this fall (or maybe before the mini-reunion at Shelbyville). Will it tear up the decals? I am only concerned about the "ski nautique" on the side. I don't really like the flag on the side. Already took the smaller decals off. I am really discouraged about the color difference after removing the small decals on the side. If you could give me some sunshine on the decals and grit compound I would appreciate it!

Later!
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
1993 Ski Nautique
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2006 at 10:06am
Todd...yes be carefull around decals and graphics...you can go over them with the finishing wax and buff...but at the slowest speed and keeping the buffer moving! Or to be safe...by hand..or use your rotory! The rotory work nicely for finishing wax and graphics!

I'll give ya all the product lowdown at the lake!

Grit...if wet sanding? Depends on what you want to do...my guess on a 93 you won't need to hit it that hard. I would start with one small section using 800, followed by 1000...high speed buff with compound and see how it looks. You might get the results you want using just a heavy cut coumpound and no wet sanding...I have a 3m coumpound that is equal to 800 grit.
stang

The Super Air

92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2006 at 6:16am
Thought I'd revive this post, since some of us northerners (like me) are pulling their boats for layup and doing some cosmetic work before we tuck them away. I just pulled my weathered decals off the boat (so far everything but the large "SKI NAUTIQUE" letters) using a heatgun (at low temp) and a small putty knife. I'd recommend not using any razors, it tends to dig into the gelcoat to easily. The vinyl decals heated up real quick and they scraped off very easily. I then used a light solvent (mineral spirits) with one of those green scrubby pads and lightly removed the sticky scumm. Clean with soap and water, then used a Turtle Wax rubbing compound by hand to bring back the original color. Took me about 2 hours per side. Fading wasnt too bad, no need for any type of mechanical buffer. Now that the compounding is complete, I could use some tips (sounds like Stang72 might have some) on a few good products for waxing and polishing. Thanks.
88skisupreme View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 1:19pm
something with teflon like 3M or Starbrite polish should be a good finisher and last a little longer than old fashioned wax.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2006 at 1:48pm
You'll want to polish, then wax. Polishing is still smoothing the surface by removing (very small amounts of) material. Wax goes on last and builds a protective layer over the gel coat.

I buffed my top deck this spring/summer with great results. I wetsanded and compounded to bring back the white color, then used 3M Finesse-It II polish on a rotary buffer (twice). This brought out a great shine. I then used Collinite liquid fibergla$$ wax (#925), which I applied by hand. I didnt get enough hrs on the boat this year to really comment on the Collinite's longitivity, but its supposed to be pretty good stuff.

92'NIQUE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 10:10am
Good info TRBenj. I went with a more aggressive rubbing compound on the other side of the boat. The Turtle Wax compound was just too light. I suppose I want to apply the new decals that I bought after I polish, but before I wax (?). Seems like it would make more sense to apply the decals to a non-waxed surface.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 10:31am
Yes, decals should be applied after polishing, but before wax.
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 8:54pm
For oxidized gel, try 3M "Imperial Compound and Finishing Material" it starts out as a fast cut compound (able to remove 800 grit scratches) them breaks down to polish. Follow up with 3M "Perfect It III" machine glaze.

You'll need a high speed rotary buffer for this. I used a $30.00 Harbor freight model , it worked well.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2006 at 9:59pm
I'm in agreement with Gary...add one more step,3M micro finish after the perfect it III and then wax!
A high speed rotory will really get the shine you want!
stang

The Super Air

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-29-2006 at 11:54pm
Any comments on PoliGlow?

I dug up some old threads, and some people seemed stoked about it.

My 95 is very dull right where TRBenj has the sweet shine. I get real nervous abour wet sanding, power buffers, etc. I've seen some bad work over the years and don't want my sweet 95 to be one of them.

Suggestions.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2006 at 10:08pm
I hear it looks good...I am guessing it would look like clear coating. Take a wet rag to the hull...and thats how I think it would look!

I do wonder though...over time will it start to flake? Anyone know? If so then it could be a pain to remove??? Just guessing though.

High speed buffing is nothing to fear... gel coat is so much harder than paint! Unless you use heavy compounds...it's hard to make burn marks.

On a 95...I would think a light cut would do wonders...and is a VERY easy grade to work with! You buff it well and your good to go quite a while.
stang

The Super Air

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2006 at 11:12pm
When you use a buffer, do you use one pad for application and another for taking off? Of do you put on by hand and then buff off? Or what?
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 8:48am
The Dude, you'll want to use a specific type of pad for each product, then remove by hand with a terry cloth. After polish and before wax, you'll want to give the boat a quick wash to get rid of any residue- it'll help the wax stick better.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2006 at 9:00pm
There are pads for compounding and pads for finishing. 3M has a good selection.I think the foam ones are easiest to work with...very forgiving and you can get contours...can use the edges.
Agree with TRBenj...remove by hand with soft towel.
stang

The Super Air

jhlewis10 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2006 at 7:21pm
Poliglow worked well for me. Easy to do. I have a maroon Century Sabre. Badly oxidized. Go to http://www.trailersailor.com/ and use the forum search function and search for poliglow. These guys have been using it forever.

Jeff
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 3:35pm
Does anybody know where to buy:
3M Imperial Compound
3M Perfect It III Machine Glaze
3M Micro Finish
I cannot find it in my small town and I'm having trouble finding it online as well. This sounds like a good combination to use on my new (to me) 88 Nautique. The 3M website is so confusing and when you go to the "buy it now" section of the site, those products are not offered. 3M has a horrible web site if you ask me. Thanks....
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 4:04pm
west marine or boaters world
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by 88 Nautique 88 Nautique wrote:

Does anybody know where to buy:
3M Imperial Compound
3M Perfect It III Machine Glaze
3M Micro Finish
I cannot find it in my small town and I'm having trouble finding it online as well. This sounds like a good combination to use on my new (to me) 88 Nautique. The 3M website is so confusing and when you go to the "buy it now" section of the site, those products are not offered. 3M has a horrible web site if you ask me. Thanks....

The best place for 3M stuff online is here:

Smart Shoppers Inc.

Their prices on the quart sizes are comparable to the pint prices elsewhere.

You didnt ask for it, but Ill give you my recommendation anyways. I got great results using these products:

3M super duty rubbing compound
3M imperial microfinishing compound
3M finesse-it II finishing material (polish)

I used the perfect-it III glaze after that, but I dont think Id do it again. I was extremely impressed with the super duty compound and the finess-it II stuff- the microfinishing compound was a good step in between. You may not need to go as strong as the super duty, but my deck really shines. I got a great deal on all the pads I used from this place as well- let me know if you need recommendations on those.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 4:39pm
Thanks... Any advise you can give me about polishing pads will be appreciated
I checked on the site and they didn't have marine 3M stuff. Just polishes and compounds for auto paint. Is 3M marine stuff different or is it a marketing ploy?
Why wouldn't you use the Perfect-It Glaze again? Didn't need it?
Also did you wet sand before using the super duty compound? If you did, give me an idea how long you sand/rub out a 2 foot by 2 foot section. Seconds? Minutes? I'll be using a polisher for the task. I don't have major scratches or anything but my finish is really dull. I don't think the boat had ever been polished. Just picked it up a month or so ago. This is my first experience with gellcoat.
Thanks
Kurt
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 4:58pm
Kurt, gel coat is much easier to deal with than paint. Its harder and much thicker, so you have to be a little more aggressive- but you dont have the risk of burning it or going through the clear coat like you do with automotive paint.

I did wet sand the entire top deck- a total of 5 times. Its exhausting and time consuming. Unless you have scratches you want to remove, have serious oxidation, or want to bring old color back (like I did) then I dont recommend wet sanding. All of the shine can be brought back with a good rotary buffer and the materials I listed above (and good pads).

I wouldnt bother with the glaze because you really dont need it. The surface looked incredible after the finesse-it II. The glaze went on best by hand, but I didnt notice any improvement. It was also a pain in the a$$ to work with in 95 degree heat since it kept drying on me.

Here is a pic of the deck after I hit it with the finesse it II for the first time (I did it twice):

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2006 at 5:31pm
TRBenj
I added a couple questions to my previous post. About 3M marine stuff & how long to wet sand/rubbing compound, buffing pads.
Kurt
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 7:27am
Kurt, from what Ive read a lot of marine finishing products are the same as automotive and just re-labeled. I did a LOT of research on what products to use, both on boat forums and detailing sites (autopia). I got great results with these products.

As far as time goes, Id say I spent about 40 hrs on my deck. That includes all the surface above the rub rail (even the interior surfaces). I wetsanded the entire thing 5 times (320, 400, 600, 1000, 1000), then I hit it with the products I mentioned (twice on the super duty compound and finesse-it II polish) and waxed it. Wetsanding was the least fun and went the slowest. It sounds like you dont need to be that aggressive. Only go as aggressive as you need- try the finesse-it first, and if you need more grit work progressively towards the super duty. I would be very surprised if you got that far and decided you want to wet sand.

For pads, I bought Lake Country pads from the same website I mentioned (great prices on these as well). I will update this post with the part numbers when I get my list in front of me.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 8:33am
Here are the pads that I liked for the products listed:

41-015     LC 4-Ply Wool Cutting Pad     7.5”/1”   (SD compound)
41-125     LC 4-Ply Wool Cutting Pad     7.5”/1.5”   (microfinishing compound)
41-625     LC Wool/Acrylic Blend Knitted     7.5”/1.5”   (finesse-it II)

I did the glaze and wax by hand using microfiber applicators and towels. The wax I used was Collinite 925 Marine wax.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 10:07am
If you going to wet sand it don't waiste your time with the smaller grit stuff because all it does is rough up the surface, Get a DA use 1000 grit then follow with 1500 grit paper and you'll spend a couple of hours wet sanding instead of days.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 10:23am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

If you going to wet sand it don't waiste your time with the smaller grit stuff because all it does is rough up the surface, Get a DA use 1000 grit then follow with 1500 grit paper and you'll spend a couple of hours wet sanding instead of days.

I agree... sorta. If you wet sand, only go as aggressive as you need to. Start with 800 or 1000 and only try more aggressive grits as necessary. In any case, you will need to work your way back to 1000- so being less aggressive will save you some work. In my case, I needed to go to 320 to get my color back- even 400 wasnt enough. However, you may not even need to wet sand at all.

Theres no need to do finer grits than 1000 though- the super duty will remove scratches left from 1000 grit (it says so right on the bottle).
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2006 at 11:30am
you can do it the hard way if you want, doing it by hand is the wrong way IMHO.

All your doing is removing more of the gel-kote and making it thinned and thinner, the color is already there the shine is what is missing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic