NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternator vs Larry

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2019 at 4:55pm
I have the same type of starter trigger switch, find it very handy when working alone on engines, turn the key to on and activate the starter while doing whatever I am doing, or even key off cause the starter to spin. Strangely given Larry's injury I consider the remote switch to be a safety item.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2019 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

I have the same type of starter trigger switch, find it very handy when working alone on engines, turn the key to on .

And one of these so you don't have to jump back and forth to the ignition key switch.

Dave,
I have a close friend in the HVAC field and I always joke with him about how many jumper wires he and his men carry with them. You should have a few?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2019 at 5:51pm
We have one for setting the valve lash, but we don't use it to start the engine.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2019 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Dave,
I have a close friend in the HVAC field and I always joke with him about how many jumper wires he and his men carry with them. You should have a few?   

Cheap imitations. Here are official Bell System ones, jbear approved. 4 times the price same end result....

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2019 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Here are official Bell System ones, jbear approved. 4 times the price same end result....

That "official" jumper looks pretty heavy duty. Is that the one you use when you call into the office and ask them to do the zap and burn to "clear" the line when you can't really find the problem?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2019 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Here are official Bell System ones, jbear approved. 4 times the price same end result....

That "official" jumper looks pretty heavy duty. Is that the one you use when you call into the office and ask them to do the zap and burn to "clear" the line when you can't really find the problem?

Gary

Did you phone guys always use jumpers with the insulators over the alligator clips on backwards?

Looks like an invitation for that uncontrolled tingling twitching sensation with bare connections in the wrong application/situation

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2019 at 10:22pm
Actually they are very lite it's like numerous strands of thread with like copper thread individually wrapped around that. What your thinking of is having the guy's at the test board putting coin return on the pair. Normally if you needed to give someone in the company a short you just used your needlenose. but if you were doing a acceptance test for an external customer like a reseller you'd use those because the testing took so long. If you slipped they'd have to start the test over and get real crabby....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2019 at 10:30pm
Gary, I wonder how much longer there will even be direct wired home and business phones! With mobile/VOIP and coming 5G is there any hope for old Ma Bell copper 2 wire telephony?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2019 at 12:04am
Copper is still being used Pete. I'm not familiar with how the lines run where you live but lets just say it comes out of Antioch central office down 59 then down 132 to say a main box at 132 and Deep Lake Rd. Then from there to your house. Ideally on copper 12-13000 feet is the limit for data,the farther out the slower. What they would have done is run fiber from the central office to a new box at 132 and Deep Lake Rd. Now the "Central Office" is at that corner. Copper from there to your house probably no more than 3-4000 feet tops even to the Big CQ's house. What should concern people is what the company has accomplished political wise. Used to be as a communications company they were required by law,at least in Illinois most likely other states too, to restore the line in 24 hours or be fined. They managed to get that changed,they are now considered an entertainment company,it will be fixed when they get to it. Really dried up the OT. I hear the next step is wireless maybe thats the 5G? - that will even do away with the Direct TV divisions satellites.

Now back to Larry,sure hope the pain is subsiding by now.....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2019 at 2:03am

Copper is still being used Pete. I'm not familiar with how the lines run where you live but lets just say it comes out of Antioch central office down 59 then down 132 to say a main box at 132 and Deep Lake Rd. Then from there to your house. Ideally on copper 12-13000 feet is the limit for data,the farther out the slower. What they would have done is run fiber from the central office to a new box at 132 and Deep Lake Rd. Now the "Central Office" is at that corner. Copper from there to your house probably no more than 3-4000 feet tops even to the Big CQ's house. What should concern people is what the company has accomplished political wise. Used to be as a communications company they were required by law,at least in Illinois most likely other states too, to restore the line in 24 hours or be fined. They managed to get that changed,they are now considered an entertainment company,it will be fixed when they get to it. Really dried up the OT. I hear the next step is wireless maybe thats the 5G? - that will even do away with the Direct TV divisions satellites.

Now back to Larry,sure hope the pain is subsiding by now.....

Important phrase here (besides wondering about Larry's leg) is "Really dried up the OT".....glad that I am retired.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2021 at 2:38am
Larry, I hope your wound healed up well.  Just got to view this today thanks to Ken's link.  Wow you are lucky it was not even worse.

Back around 1981 we were in a jet boat with over the transom headers.  Had a carburetor issue while out on the river.  My buddy and I were both sitting on opposite sides of this 455 engine working on the carb.  A large boat motored by, I did not even think about it, focused on the carb problem.  When the boat wake hit this little Jet boat our boat rocked enough that I tipped over, directly on to one of the header pipes.  To get off that pipe I pushed with my forearm to lift my body up and away so more of my body did not hit the headers.  In about 5 seconds my arm burned about 1/4" deep.  Took about a year before that scar was really healed and the skin was looking better.   Dumb things happen very quick but the healing sometimes is not so quick.  Yep, it was June, messed up a lot of good ski opportunities.   Could have been worse.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2021 at 6:28am
You guys keep this up and the Carnage of http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26045&title=morfoot-vs-chainsaw       will make it's appearance again. Wink
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Smithfamily View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smithfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2021 at 8:26am
So happy I "tuned in" this morning to see all the blood and guts.......I hope all have healed well, although this could explain some behavioral issues??
Js
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic