NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringers

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910>
Author
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2021 at 7:32pm
Yeah we're excited for you
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2021 at 6:44pm
Well things didn't go as planned today . Engine install complete, throttle and trans cables working , new belts ,alt,starter fired it up and all seemed well until I saw the temp gauge rising and low flow out the exhaust. That started the days escapade . Impeller looked good but I replaced anyway ,Pulled the thermostat when hot  it was open so I put it back in. Checked for flow through the exhaust manifold seemed low ,removed manifold took the front end off found a piece of old impeller. Tried to remove the rear end broke 2 bolts striped one. Spent the next couple hours drilling out broken bolts. Flushed out the other side . Still ran hot pulled the thermostat and bingo runs around 120 with good flow. Just about the time you think you know something things have a way to humble you. So what do you guys think should I go with a 160 degree or a 143 degree? 
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2021 at 7:12pm
Michael, are you running it in the driveway with fake a lake or similar? Inadequate water pressure will cause the temp rise. I get the same on my SN in the driveway as I
am on well, and a good ways from the hose bib. The RW pump is pulling more than the supply pressure.

Just a thought.
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2021 at 10:37pm
Carb engines use 143 degree thermostat, fuel injected engines use 160.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2021 at 6:33am
Thank you DVskier
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2021 at 6:59am
Mike,
This is just a caution. How are you suppling water to the engine? The reason I ask is because a direct connection to the hose can mask cooling system problems. It's the pressure from the garden hose pushing water through that's the problem. The "Timmy tee" is the best since it allows the RWP to just suck like it normally does. 

I have a feeling you still have chunks of old impeller in the cooling. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 6:36am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Mike,
This is just a caution. How are you suppling water to the engine? The reason I ask is because a direct connection to the hose can mask cooling system problems. It's the pressure from the garden hose pushing water through that's the problem. The "Timmy tee" is the best since it allows the RWP to just suck like it normally does. 

I have a feeling you still have chunks of old impeller in the cooling. 

I put a bucket on the floor behind the engine then put the intake hose and water hose in the bucket. The bucket acts like the lake so the raw water pump must suck up the water like its supposed to.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 6:51am
At long last SEA TRIALS . 70 degrees and sunny a perfect day for a boat ride. Over all it went pretty well a small list of tweaks and repairs ,carb needs an overhaul , The 13x13 prop I think is too big . Spent about an hour testing getting farther and farther as my confidence grew.  No overheat but no thermostat . All gauges work ,sounds like a Harley. The trailer is next it needs a lot if help.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 7:16am
ClapClapClap

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jimsport93 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsport93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2021 at 7:54am
The boat looks great Mike 
And the smile on Gail’s face says it all !
Looking forward to seeing Tweety in person. 
Awesome job 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2021 at 6:03pm
I reworked the trailer so it doesn't scratch the bottom of the boat loading .I also rebuilt the carb . Sea trials today the carb is running way too rich. Looks like the secondaries are leaking. I had the same problem with a holley because of the angle of the carb . I ordered a 5 degree wedge plate I will start there before I get into the reseting the floats . I am not that familiar with the Edelbrock if you know any tricks let me know. Still looking for a 12'' left prop tons of rights out there the left looks to be rare. Can a 13'' be cut down to a 12''? 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2021 at 7:50am
Here's an EBAY link to a 12X15 LH prop for a 1 inch shaft and it's cheap

I think that checks all the right boxes for ya'  Wink

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2021 at 7:57am
Contact Tim Benjamin about a new Acme.  I've found those old Federals aren't worth spending any money on.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2021 at 8:36am
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2021 at 8:55am
Mike, have you considered reversing the direction of the Tranny? The Supra it came out of spins a lefty and CC's spin Right so reverse the direction and go with a RH Prop.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2021 at 9:05am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Mike, have you considered reversing the direction of the Tranny? The Supra it came out of spins a lefty and CC's spin Right so reverse the direction and go with a RH Prop.

The engine rotation is what determines what hand the prop is. Indexing the trans simply matches the engine rotaion. It can not reverse the engine rotation. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2021 at 9:16am
 I thought the transmissions output direction rotation could be reversed....See...you can teach a dumb old airplane mechanic something new. Embarrassed
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2021 at 9:21am
Nope, velvet isn’t capable of full power reverse. Prop rotation must match engine rotation (and trans indexed accordingly). Correct craft wasn’t buying RH engines for the fun of it.

Acme 1215.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2021 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Contact Tim Benjamin about a new Acme.  I've found those old Federals aren't worth spending any money on.

Bruce,
For $100, I don't feel Mike can go wrong. Considering he has a LH 351 in a small gen 1 Mustang performance may not be the best as is.. Also, I feel there are times that Tim gets very protective regarding CNC props. Yes, they certainly are superior but not needed on Mikes Mustang. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2021 at 9:31am
I just talked to Morfoot about reindexing the trans to RH rotation . Is that a better way to go ? I can then use the original 12x13 RH
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2021 at 9:40am
No need to be “protective”, no vested interest on my part. They just work the best- and I’ve collected a lot of data. Have run plenty of old federals too, every once in a while you find one that isn’t flexy and it actually tops out pretty good. But the holeshot is always crap and they vibrate like crazy even when they’re in perfect shape. Half the time they perform terribly, even up top- the chance you take with a used prop from an unknown source/history. My tolerance for poor performance and time wasting is lower than it used to be, federals are best suited for mantle ornaments, IMHO. I wouldn’t spend $10 on one unless my wife was short on candle holders.

Mike, see above- you can’t run a RH prop.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2021 at 10:14am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Bruce,
For $100, I don't feel Mike can go wrong. Considering he has a LH 351 in a small gen 1 Mustang performance may not be the best as is.. Also, I feel there are times that Tim gets very protective regarding CNC props. Yes, they certainly are superior but not needed on Mikes Mustang. 

Pete, we had a 2001 we fixed up for resale, as well as our Tique which we sold, and they both had Federals on them that I had re finished by Delta, which is a great company and does a good job, in my experience. Both of those Federals ran so poorly that I'll never send one out to be refinished again.  We put an Acme 1214 on the Tique and gave the buyer the option to pay more for the boat and he did.  I think the 2001 got an Acme as well.  If they're free, I'll try one, but I'm not buying them any more.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2021 at 10:18am

Pete, we had a 2001 we fixed up for resale, as well as our Tique which we sold, and they both had Federals on them that I had re finished by Delta, which is a great company and does a good job, in my experience. Both of those Federals ran so poorly that I'll never send one out to be refinished again.  We put an Acme 1214 on the Tique and gave the buyer the option to pay more for the boat and he did.  I think the 2001 got an Acme as well.  If they're free, I'll try one, but I'm not buying them any more.

Bruce,
I've got hand worked Michigan's on two of my boats and an OJ on the 3rd. All have been reworked at one time and all run fantastic. Years back I did try an Acme on the Tique. From the start I didn't like it so the OJ went back on. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2021 at 10:23am
Huge difference between the OJ legends and Federals.  We have a few OJ Legends and I really like them.  The Federals I've had are junk, unless you're running a 6 banger like our Mustang, then it doesn't matter. Like I said, for free no harm, but I wouldn't spend money on one.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2021 at 11:35am
Bruce is finally coming around. I agree that the 12” oj legend 3-blades on the smaller boats are pretty decent. The 13x13 3-blade isn’t bad on a 2001 or similar either. Nice upgrade over Federal for sure.

Still, if buying new, the price difference to go to Acme over OJ is small, and the performance advantage is enough for me to choose Acme every time.

I do not like the larger diameter OJ’s nearly as much, especially the 4-blades. That goes for both hand finished Legends and XMP’s... the performance edge the Acme’s have are even larger here. At least in terms of top speed, acceleration and smoothness (the last being fine on an XMP).
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2021 at 3:26pm
Well...........it seems like the 100 dollar "candle holder" in the EBAY link got sold at 9:39 this morning, right smack in the middle of all the discussion in this thread.

I wonder who might have bought it?  Wink

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2021 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

I reworked the trailer so it doesn't scratch the bottom of the boat loading .I also rebuilt the carb . Sea trials today the carb is running way too rich. Looks like the secondaries are leaking. I had the same problem with a holley because of the angle of the carb . I ordered a 5 degree wedge plate I will start there before I get into the reseting the floats . I am not that familiar with the Edelbrock if you know any tricks let me know. Still looking for a 12'' left prop tons of rights out there the left looks to be rare. Can a 13'' be cut down to a 12''? 

Good Edelbrock "trick".................. mount it pretty much level with a wedge plate like you're planning, and leave the floats alone since each float bowl serves a primary and a secondary nozzle, so you'd be lowering the primary level as well as the secondary level.

Here's a link to the 8 degree wedge plate that Chrysler used when it was called a Carter carburetor

Your 5 degree wedge will probably be OK

You can find 12 degree wedge plates too from Holley and some others, but the price says they're way too proud of their plates so I didn't put a link to them Wink

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2021 at 7:31pm
Mike,
When you get that prop, don't forget to lap it to the shaft. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2021 at 5:48am
Took Kermit over to Mike's last night so Gail can start making him a Ginko Green cover for him so when his in the slip the late afternoon sun won't dry out his Skin and got a chance to see Tweety in person. The boat looks fantastic and I can't wait to drive it. He called me an instigater as he never would have taken on the project as it doesn't drive and behave like a traditional SN. Said I may end up with it but my wife quickly responded with a No he isn't! The 351 in that little boat is a Beast! Told him I'd ski behind it too when the water warms up from a chilly 51'F. Mentioned a "new" 12x15 wheel he scored after a chat with TrBenj, Keno so if it's the same prop?  Stern Smile
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2021 at 6:49am
I made a play on that 100.00 12x15 prop . I figure If it doesn't work out I can always resell it. Carb wedge comes today prop tomorrow should have some answers by the weekend. What is a good lapping compound I have never lapped a prop before maybe I just got lucky?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910>
  Share Topic