NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringers

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 10>
Author
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2021 at 7:53am
At long last the interior is done. Front seat brackets made and seats installed . Rear seat made and installed . We are very pleased with the end result . We have a lot of hours in it but the actual dollar amount is still within reason. Next step is trailer and drive train.

Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2021 at 8:37am
REALLY Looking GREAT Mike!   Thumbs Up
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2021 at 9:34am
She is beautiful.
Drivetrain will be fun to watch too
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2021 at 2:59pm
I already have the motor and trans done and ready to go in I am thinking a water test this weekend.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2021 at 9:49am
WOW looks great !!!!!!!!!!!  Should pop in the Sun . 
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2021 at 12:08pm
On the platform, I think it really makes the boat more usable and a ton safer. As a compromise, you might consider simply making the platform just a touch smaller in depth, as opposed to the larger dimension rectangle platforms that were originally introduced. This may keep the boat more aesthetically pleasing and dimensionally more correct. Additionally, you might consider using a mahogany vs. the teak, and the former is less dense, but also very durable, and will keep the boat lighter, which of course is good when you're hanging it off the back of the boat.

Mark
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2021 at 8:11am
We have decided to put the original ladder back on . The aluminum frame was damaged and seemed too weak so I had it bent out of stainless. The teak steps are fine just need refinishing. Work continues one setback is a oil leak on the engine the brass drain plug fitting is stripped . I found a new one but 2 weeks delivery. I put a temporary plug in so I can continue with the install. 

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2021 at 8:30am
Tweety  may have to be renamed Speedy with that 351 in him. I can't wait to drive it! Heart Cool
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2021 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

Trying to get it done before the SJRR in march. If progress continues I just might make it.

Mike,
At the progress you are making, it looks like you will be able to get Tweety to the SJRR. Looking fantastic!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2021 at 10:27am
 The boat was a basket case when I got it engine was in pieces . It came with a 12x13 RH prop. The doner boat is a 1985 Supra comp 351 w and a 13x13 LH prop . I thought I would be ok because I am using the engine and trans out of the Supra. I read the post [ Barracuda strut to prop distance] and I am more confused than ever. If I move the engine forward to get about 1'' clearance between the prop and strut the 13'' prop is about 3/8'' clearance  between to the hull. I can move the engine back to get more clearance but that adds more distance between the strut and prop. I guess what I am asking is what is more critical distance between the prop and strut or distance between the prop and hull?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2021 at 10:40am
Hi Michael, someone will chime in with the exact spec, but you basically want to shoot for 1 inch between the prop and strut and 2 inches between prop and hull. Those numbers may be slightly different on the older boats, but likely not by a lot.

My guess in your application is you’re going to have to move the motor a bit more aft which may result is getting a new shaft.

Mark

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2021 at 11:29am
I would ask other Mustang owners what the distance is from the shaft log to the transmission flange and start there.  I think 1st gen Mustangs typically use a 12" prop and a 40" shaft. 
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2021 at 12:05pm
Much like putting a rear end in a car- you don't move the axle to match the driveshaft you have,you put the axle where it needs to go and shorten or lengthen the drive shaft as needed. I would adjust the engine mounts to be half way in their travel and go from there,it should sit where the old engine was. A 351 is 45 pounds heavier than a 302 anyway,a Mustang certainly does not need any more weight up front. Once the engine is mounted then the driveshaft can be fitted for length
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2021 at 12:21pm
Yep, simply put the engine where it needs to be to get the correct dimensions. Then order the correct length shaft.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2021 at 12:36pm
I would also tap into TRBenj's prop knowledge as well. You won't be fitting a 13" anything under that
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2021 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I would ask other Mustang owners what the distance is from the shaft log to the transmission flange and start there.  I think 1st gen Mustangs typically use a 12" prop and a 40" shaft. 

Don't now how long the shaft is on the 72'but I do know that it's a 12" wheel An ACME 1210 I think. Uncle Todd, Tim, Joe and Mars are way more verse in the realm of repowering or adding more horses under the cover than anyone. My .02 is to stay with the 12" prop since you're using the same strut that came of it. You may have to go with 1214 or 2068.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2021 at 1:43pm
Yep, you definitely need to have the correct size prop on hand, placed in the correct spot to determine the proper length of shaft.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2021 at 2:26pm
Mike,
Do you have the original shaft? If so, then there should be a witness mark where it ran in the cutlass. Getting the shaft in the hull lined up to match the marking would be a good start for position. I agree with Gary that the engine should go in the same spot as the original. Don't worry about the 13" prop diameter. The 12" or as mentioned the 12.5" diameter might be a great choice keeping in mind you will be cranking that prop at a higher RPM than the original. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2021 at 3:13pm
I don't know Pete- PCM rated their 351 at the same rpm as their 302-  4,400.  They also only rated it at 25 hp more. Maybe the 351 shines more in the torque department figures they didn't publish. 
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2021 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I don't know Pete- PCM rated their 351 at the same rpm as their 302-  4,400.  They also only rated it at 25 hp more. Maybe the 351 shines more in the torque department figures they didn't publish. 

All I know is spinning a SBF faster than the published has been mentioned many times. 5K?

Mike,
What if any engine mods were done? Did I miss that part?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2021 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The 12" or as mentioned the 12.5" diameter might be a great choice keeping in mind you will be cranking that prop at a higher RPM than the original. 

My guess is that Pete is saying the use of a smaller diameter prop may result in higher rpm per given boat speed.

I think using the original strut (and resultant shaft angle) might be one of the more important performance criteria. 

Very cool boat.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-18-2021 at 6:46pm
If you look at these pictures from earlier in this thread (in the quote below from December of 2018) when you mocked things up, it shows what you had for distance when using the rub/witness marks that the strut bearing made on the shaft like Pete mentioned earlier today.

Why not set it up with the same strut to prop distance and plop the engine in place. That would have the engine in it's original location (or really, really close) and you'd have what looks to be maybe 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches of distance between the strut and prop and a decent amount of clearance between the prop and hull with a 12 inch LH prop.

Kinda "just like CC built it"  

Is the strut to prop distance optimal............no, it could be better but CC built a whole bunch of boats with well over the 1 1/2 inches you have and they ran fine, without bending the shaft or vibrating you to death due to a little more "overhung load"  

Then you can run the boat and make sure it doesn't flip or violently eject you right out since it's a LH engine in a short skinny CC  Wink

You might even be able to test it with the 13 inch prop you have now even though a 12 inch diameter seems much better suited to the Mustang, at least to see how it runs, then make any prop and shaft decisions from there.

Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

Made some headway today . Set new 351 in the boat to check alignment so I can see if the original stringer design will work with the new engine and mounts without modification. . The good news is the distance between the stringers is the same on both boats and as far as I can see it should line up with the prop shaft. Only question is there a set distance between the strut and the prop I used the rub marks on the shaft to get me close. I don't have a pattern to copy since the engines are different and there are multiple holes in the stringers from the old engine. Not important now but will be needed after new stringers are installed and engine is installed. More good news I think I solved the picture posting problem.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2021 at 7:48am
Thanks guys once again you have set me on a clear path . I don't know what I was thinking it will be easy to set it up with the original rub marks on the shaft. It looks like I will be in the market for a 12 or 12.5'' prop . If anybody has one or knows where to get one please let me know.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2021 at 8:33am
Check the length of the shaft.  If it's a single taper and looks old, maybe even original, it should be 40".
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2021 at 9:04am
Sounds like a good time to consider a double taper shaft.  You will thank yourself later if you have to remove it.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2021 at 3:17pm
Hey Mike, was just thinking, are you adjusting the fore and aft position of the engine/trans to align with the angle of the current strut. As it occurred to me this will be a limiting factor as to where the motor is mounted. As was mentioned, you can re-insert the existing shaft, and place it where the original prop to strut dimension is. With the coupling end in the boat, you'll be able to determine the rest: 

1. how long the shaft needs to be.
2. where the engine needs to be placed.

As you know, you can use the fore and aft engine mount adjustments to control angle and somewhat where the engine gets placed, but enough adjustment needs to be left to fine-tune the alignment.

Mark
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2021 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

you can use the fore and aft engine mount adjustments to control angle and somewhat where the engine gets placed, but enough adjustment needs to be left to fine-tune the alignment.
Mark

Mike,
Careful with the position of the engine. I agree with Gary and I believe TRB mentioned it too.

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

a Mustang certainly does not need any more weight up front. 

You don't need any more weight up front. Shoot for the same as the 302. It shouldn't be a problem. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2021 at 7:21am
I set the engine in the same place as the original using the rub marks on the shaft as a guide . I will go with this and do a water test in the next week or so. The engine has been sitting on a stand for a year or more. When I uncovered it I noticed an oil leak . It turned out the brass adapter that screws in the oil pan is stripped . I ordered a new one but can't run it until it arrives.  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2021 at 6:34pm
Got a lot done today all the hoses, belts new starter and alt Ign switch died installed a new one .Throttle cable was in wrong had to remove all the interior panels on the driver's side to sort it out works now . I will start it tomorrow and set it up . If all goes well I will do a water test saturday. Still looking for a 12'' LH prop is any has one .
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2021 at 6:43pm
Can’t wait for the water test.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 10>
  Share Topic