NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringers

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 10>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2018 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

I did a Supra Comp a few years ago . When it came to foam I decided to cut closed cell 2'' thick foam and loosely fit it under the floor between the stringers and bulkheads. That way it didn't block off the scupper holes I added to the stringers so the water could drain to the bilge.    

Sounds like a plan. Better than the pool noodles some have used! Have you considered just going without foam? Any luck finding LVL for the stringers? Did you check with the Cumming HD?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2018 at 9:10pm
HD was no help in Flowery Branch I will check in Cumming. I will do the loose foam I don't want to build an anchor.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2018 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

HD was no help in Flowery Branch I will check in Cumming. I will do the loose foam I don't want to build an anchor.

What do you mean they weren't any help? What specifically did you ask for? Did you talk to the pro at the pro desk like I suggested?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2018 at 11:29pm
Mike,
When you call again, do make sure you talk to a Pro at the pro desk but also it may help using the proper nomenclature for LVL's. Tell them you want ether a 1.55E or a 1.9E x 9&1/4". and then the 14' length.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2018 at 7:36am
I like that Pete is supportive of his place of employment but check Lowes. Much better store and since HD took the veterans discount away from many of us and Lowes gives it unequivocally to all I really respect that. If your a vet it will save you money. Seems HD wants the military person to be either maimed or on active duty so as a Vietnam vet with an honorable discharge, I don't qualify after I once did. To give and then take back is rather insulting. Sorry Pete but the truth. Lowes is very thankful to vets and offers discount to all who serve or have served.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2018 at 7:42am
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

I like that Pete is supportive of his place of employment but check Lowes. Much better store and since HD took the veterans discount away from many of us and Lowes gives it unequivocally to all I really respect that. If your a vet it will save you money. Seems HD wants the military person to be either maimed or on active duty so as a Vietnam vet with an honorable discharge, I don't qualify after I once did. To give and then take back is rather insulting. Sorry Pete but the truth. Lowes is very thankful to vets and offers discount to all who serve or have served.

Jack,
Sorry to hear you have a problem with the HD BUT, you are very wrong with the vet discount at the HD. You may what to investigate why you personally had the issue. What ID did you use?

BTW, I too prefer shopping at Lowes but the closest one to me is 90 miles.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2018 at 7:48am
Pete, I am not wrong about the vet discount. You should check for yourself. Use the same ID with Lowes as well. It is my VA card with photo ID. HD discriminates. against those who are not maimed or active duty. Believe me I have been around the issue with them to no avail. Only ended up frustrated and pissed off LOL. I do take every opportunity to inform other vets that there are other options less offensive. Just spreading the love around as is my way.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2018 at 8:21am
Pete, read the link below

There's one pretty big difference in the 2 discounts

Let's say you served 4 years in the Navy with an honorable discharge as an example. Which place gives you a discount?

link

Thanks Jack for pointing this out
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2018 at 8:27am
I think its the Flowery Branch location . They have never been very helpful . They are more concerned with closing aisles and stocking the shelves than customer service. They once told me to leave a closed aisle and wait for them to stock the shelve . I went to lowes.
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2018 at 12:49pm
I have been denied the veterans discount before at Home Depot, then again a few months later it was allowed. All of this happened at the same store. I've never had an issue getting the veterans discount at Lowes, even on sale items. Here in SC you can have your drivers license display your veterans status, HD didn't accept that when it first came out so I had to show my DD-214 form. All in all I'd recommend Lowes if you want the veterans discount. Blowers is also easier to navigate with better lighting.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2018 at 12:57pm
how should this affect non-veterans?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2018 at 2:20pm
Just a guess here but if we both went to Lowe's and bought the same thing for 500 bucks, we'd have the same thing except I'd have an extra 50 bucks in my pocket still that you the non vet wouldn't.

I'm kinda simple minded though and I can barely spell 'rithmetic

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2018 at 2:55pm
please repeat experiment with Home Depot. I'm still lost.
Nautique Newby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique Newby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2018 at 4:06pm
I also used LVL for my main stringers because I could not find Doug Fir around my area. I got my LVL at a local lumberyard. I think I got a 2" x 16" piece and cut it in half. That along with the clear pine for the secondaries was around $100.
I hope I don't screw this up!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2018 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jack,
Sorry to hear you have a problem with the HD BUT, you are very wrong with the vet discount at the HD. You may what to investigate why you personally had the issue. What ID did you use?

Jack,
I just got home from the morning shift. I got in this morning and after the morning readiness check for my department, I went and saw my store manager and then also talked with the head cashier. Being very concerned with your problem, I wanted to check the policy just as you recommended. The bottom line is all stores and all areas do not follow the corporate policy completely. My store doesn't follow the policy fully. It seems that the HD's asset management IT has detected fraudulent military ID's in certain areas of the country and those areas scrutinize the proper ID's. You mentioned you were honorably discharged so it sounds like you didn't serve full term. Per my store manager (also a vet) she questioned what your ID is. Is it the DD214? That's the one that can cause problems at some stores in certain areas. Was your discharge based on medical? The VA should issue you a different ID.

Sorry this happened,
Pete

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2018 at 5:20pm
Pete, the DD-214 is the official document that you receive when being discharged and it serves as proof of service. The honorable discharge is noted (or not) on the form. It's also possible to receive a General or Bad Conduct discharge. Depending on the service man (or woman's ) conduct they will receive one of these types of discharge. BTW to DD-214 doesn't have a photo on it.

My state and many others will issue a Veterans drivers license upon being presented with the DD-214.

Hope this helps.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2018 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

please repeat experiment with Home Depot. I'm still lost.

Just for you

Go back to my other post about somebody who spent 4 years in the Navy and got an honorable discharge. We go into Home Depot and each get the same 500 dollar item. We both walk out having paid the same 500 as compared to Lowe's where I only paid 450.

Lowes gives the discount to any veteran who was honorably discharged, you don't need to have been a career military guy who retired after 20 or so years. The guy who served 4 years gets no discount at Home Depot unless he meets some other conditions like a medical discharge as one example

It's in the link I posted earlier,

In 2017 Lowes started giving the discount to any honorably discharged veteran.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2018 at 6:59pm
Here''s another link with some info about Lowes program

link
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2018 at 7:01pm

You mentioned you were honorably discharged so it sounds like you didn't serve full term.

HUH??
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2018 at 7:07pm
so there are no financial implications for non-veterans at either store
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2018 at 7:21pm
Hey Hollywood, Great Lakes US Navy base is right down the road from you. MAGA and serve your country. Bonus Lowes has no limit of $500 like HD.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2018 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

so there are no financial implications for non-veterans at either store

Depends how you want to look at it
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2018 at 8:35am
I have a commercial pro HD credit card they used to give a 5% discount for contractors. They ended the program years ago so I don't use their card anymore . I am a very small business but still manage to spend 30 to 50 thousand a year in materials .[ That is 1500 to 2500 discount Hollywood.] I still deal with HD only because they are convenient to get to in areas I work. I wish they would lay out all their stores the same. Its really frustrating to find things in different stores .
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2018 at 9:26am

Jack,

Jack,
I just got home from the morning shift. I got in this morning and after the morning readiness check for my department, I went and saw my store manager and then also talked with the head cashier. Being very concerned with your problem, I wanted to check the policy just as you recommended. The bottom line is all stores and all areas do not follow the corporate policy completely. My store doesn't follow the policy fully. It seems that the HD's asset management IT has detected fraudulent military ID's in certain areas of the country and those areas scrutinize the proper ID's. You mentioned you were honorably discharged so it sounds like you didn't serve full term. Per my store manager (also a vet) she questioned what your ID is. Is it the DD214? That's the one that can cause problems at some stores in certain areas. Was your discharge based on medical? The VA should issue you a different ID.

Sorry this happened,
Pete
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2018 at 9:37am
Funny that you brought up the layout Mike. I stopped by one of my "local" HD's (it's 50 miles away) for a toilet shut off valve. Wandered the plumbing section finally had to find someone and ask. They were not in plumbing, but rather over where the toilet display was. Was informed that there is actually 3 places in the store where they could be. Could not find the actual one I needed,didn't feel like trying to find the help again so I left. Did buy a case of Mexican Coke though so it was not a wasted stop . Not being a vet I like Menards best then HD and Lowes in that order. HD for checkouts has them all beat though with Lowes being the worse.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2018 at 9:40am
Sorry for the unintended thread jack. Thanks Pete for your honest concern. HD deserves the bad review I give them when I can. Will try and answer your questions.
First off, honorable discharge means you served your duty to completion honorably. After 14 months in Vietnam and with my training time included I was released from active duty with the honorable discharge.
All those released from the military get a dd214. I have that but I presented my veterans administration card that shows I am enrolled in the program that supposed to help us vets with medical issues. That's another story LOL.
Glad you brought up how your store and others don't necessarily follow corporate policy. After the CT HD discontinued my discount and was was still getting it in FL I used to take my slips from Ct and get the discount reimbursed in Fl. That's a gas.
My VA card is current and with photo ID so no replacement needed and so you can see how the HD has tarnished their image over what prolly was a well intentioned policy to begin with. It has become downright offensive.
Really sorry for the jack here LOl.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2018 at 10:45am
Just being a handful of years younger than you Jack I understand where your coming from. Kinda like to think ole El BJ is in a special place......
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2018 at 11:02am
I look up the aisle/shelf location/inventory status before going to HD. Saves a lot of time.

BTW, I was there once (hadn't done the presearch) & I asked the customer rep to look up an item location & they couldn't figure out how to do this!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2018 at 11:27am
Jack,
Thanks for the reply and explanation.

For those of you that have those fancy phones, and use all those fancy features, there is a Home Depot app that may help you find items. I see customers using it frequently. BTW, my cell phone only makes phone calls!!

Chris,
Even though I know my store very well, I too will go to the HD web site and look up the item I'm looking for. Not so much to get a location but more so to check inventory and to see if my store even caries it. All HD's do not carry the same inventory and some may be seasonal. Like the Rhinelander store doesn't carry window air conditioners all year like Gary's down there were it's 600 degrees all year long!

I also use the buy on line and pick up in store very often especially if the item is large or not in stock. When it's available and or picked it's waiting for you up front. Small it will be at the Special Service end of if large it will be at the Pro end.

Mike, getting back on track with the thread, if you do go LVL, understand the actual thickness is 1&3/4" unlike a 2x which is 1&1/2" Also be aware that LVL's come with a water resistant coating so they can be exposed to the weather typical with construction. There are two types of coatings used. One is a wax and that needs to be aggressively belt sanded off. . The other is a clear coating similar to a poly clear wood finish. That needs just a light sanding. If you have access to a surface planer, then taking a 1/8" off each side is best plus it brings the thickness back down to the 1&1/2 like a 2x.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2018 at 12:22pm
Pete, is there a down side to leaving it 1-3/4?
Please support The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
1976 Ski Nautique 351 Escort
1993 Ski Nautique purple and black 351 HO PCM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 10>
  Share Topic