NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stringers

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 78910>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2021 at 7:59am
Mike,
Permatex makes several. Your local auto supply should have it. I like the oil based better. I feel the water based compound dries out too quick. 

I recommended the lapping since it's likely an older used prop will need it. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2021 at 9:08am
Not to mention that at -13 it’s frozen solid and won’t be thawed out til August. But Mike doesn’t have that problem so he can use the more environmentally conscious version if he chooses
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2021 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Nautiquehunter Nautiquehunter wrote:

I made a play on that 100.00 12x15 prop . I figure If it doesn't work out I can always resell it. Carb wedge comes today prop tomorrow should have some answers by the weekend. What is a good lapping compound I have never lapped a prop before maybe I just got lucky?

Sounds like a reasonable plan on the hundred dollar prop Wink

What are the driving and behavior issues Morfoot sorta mentioned ?
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2021 at 7:19am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I made a play on that 100.00 12x15 prop . I figure If it doesn't work out I can always resell it. Carb wedge comes today prop tomorrow should have some answers by the weekend. What is a good lapping compound I have never lapped a prop before maybe I just got lucky?

As most of you know I have a soft spot for early Supra's. I currently own 3 two comps and a Sunsport and then there is the 210. I have never even driven anything as small as the Mustang. Its like having a canoe with a big engine. Any weight shift will tip the boat to the side and when you turn at speed the gunnel is pretty close to the water. It seams to ride nose up going straight . Its just different and a lot smaller than I am used too . Having that 13x13 prop makes it lunge forward as soon as its put in gear.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2021 at 7:43am

Its like having a canoe with a big engine. Any weight shift will tip the boat to the side and when you turn at speed the gunnel is pretty close to the water. It seams to ride nose up going straight . 

Mike,
Nose high is good. You don't what to dig the stem in the water. Early plaining hull designs which includes the 1st gen Mustang ran nose high. The danger with planting the nose/stem in the water is flipping the hull. When the nose plants with any deviation from straight ahead, you end up with a chine lock.Be very careful. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2021 at 9:40am

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

As most of you know I have a soft spot for early Supra's. I currently own 3 two comps and a Sunsport and then there is the 210. I have never even driven anything as small as the Mustang. Its like having a canoe with a big engine. Any weight shift will tip the boat to the side and when you turn at speed the gunnel is pretty close to the water. It seams to ride nose up going straight . Its just different and a lot smaller than I am used too . Having that 13x13 prop makes it lunge forward as soon as its put in gear.

Sounds about normal for a Mustang from back then

I don't think the prop change will really do anything to make the lunge into gear any better..
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2021 at 11:41am
Sounds about normal for a Mustang from back then   [/QUOTE]

Not in my experience - once they get going they ride flat. Marshall's is the only one I have seen of the early hulls that rides bow up,the picture of his on a header page here is a good example of how his runs. I suspect it has been reworked at the BBC. I also think that Mike hasn't opened his up yet either.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2021 at 12:16pm
Planing and bow steer, not planning and chine lock.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2021 at 12:45pm
Compared to the Supras that Mike is accustomed to, I'd say it rides bow high, is a lot more weight sensitive and rolls more in the corners along with being kinda junior petite in size  Wink
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2021 at 5:59pm
Bow up is faster Wink

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2021 at 7:57pm
My understanding is that Marshall’s hull hasn’t been touched. Some hulls run much more bow high than others- and I’ve noticed it seems to correlate to whether you have the padded transom or not. Pad = fast... not that the pad itself has any effect, but I’m guessing there were multiple molds, and they weren’t quite created equal. The clean transom boats run noticeably more flat (and slow).
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2021 at 8:53pm
That's surprising considering where it lives Tim. Does it at least have the higher HP valve cover decals Wink This is one of my favorite pictures- you can see the bow rise even with two aboard,mine is no where near that with only one. I have not come across the picture of mine at speed when I do I will post it. Until then-

This is not the picture I was thinking of but it does show the more bow down mine runs-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2021 at 7:35am
Sea trials continued yesterday. I installed the used 12x15 prop huge difference, New 143 degree thermostat temp steady around 160 . Carb wedge also made a big difference I was able to lower the idle speed so no more lunging when put in gear also the black stains on the transom from the exhaust are gone. Overall it went well  except for the rear ladder. I went with the ladder instead of a platform because of the fuel tank being so close to the transom on the outsides the ladder mounts in the center and was there when I got the boat. I rebuilt it using stainless tubing instead of the thin aluminum . I think I put the lower step too far down . I set it 1'' above the bottom of the transom but during sea trials it caused major high speed driving and turning problems . It was forcing the bow to ride lower and driving water up and over the transom. It was a scary ride especially during a right turn. lesson learned this boat needs to ride high in the bow. I removed the lower step and eliminated the problem. I have seen Mustangs with rear mounted ladders if you have one can you measure how high the step is above the bottom of the transom?

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2021 at 9:48am

We don;t own the boat anymore, but I'd say the top of the bottom step is about level with the top of the exhaust through hulls.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2021 at 10:26am
Ok I will try that . How hard was it to get on the ladder with it being so far up?
Sam.morrison010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam.morrison010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2021 at 10:35am
The bottom of the lower rung on my '73 is 3 inches from the bottom. It's not that bad to get on. 
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2021 at 12:47pm

Ok I will try that . How hard was it to get on the ladder with it being so far up?

I was probably about 58 the last time I did it and it wasn't easy.  Easier than climbing up over the side, but  to have your feet higher than your hips and be able to grab the bars and pull your self up was a reminder that I wasn't as young as I used to be, (or as my son would tell me, I just need to work out more.).  
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2021 at 1:19pm
Hands on ladder then toes of one foot over the top of the rudder and then the other foot to the bottom step is how I remember it being pretty easy. However, just as Bruce mentions, that was in my younger years. Big smile

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2021 at 6:18pm
Yea and now days Pete with a Acme prop you'd slip and end up cutting off a toe LOL  If I had some gel coat left I'd just remove the dumb thing. Mike lay on the floor of your living room with your butt against the wall,put your feet up the wall with your knee's back by your ears. Now imagine trying to pull yourself up Embarrassed   
Here is the best picture I have of mine.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2021 at 8:08pm
A nice one-step folding section would be a excellent add-on, you know, as we're not getting any younger or any more flexible...  Wink
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2021 at 8:31am
I made a rope sling to hopefully help with getting on the ladder without it dragging the water. It loops over the rear lifting fitting. 

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2021 at 8:49am
That's a good idea that will be a big help.
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2021 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

That's a good idea that will be a big help.
this right here is why one NEVER boards with then engine running!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2021 at 8:57am
I was at a sign shop and mentioned I was looking for a piece of metal to rebuild a trailer. He suggested I check with a boat repair shop down the street. I asked and he couldn't help but there was a guy there that said he had a Ski Nautique trailer he would sell me . The next day I went to see it I ended up buying the boat and trailer. I am more interested in the trailer its too long but the Mustang will fit on it. There is not much left of the boat it does have a good windshield ,Morse control, steering parts and gauges. If you need anything let me know.

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2021 at 9:17am

I made a rope sling to hopefully help with getting on the ladder without it dragging the water. It loops over the rear lifting fitting. 

Thats a lateral load on the lifting ring!!!!  Lifting ring is only made for vertical loads!!!!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2021 at 9:23am
Mike,
Great idea on the sling. Gary could even make one up so he wouldn't need to worry about cutting his toes off! 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2021 at 9:45am
I already have one. About 6 years ago Davis instruments made an adjustable step rope ladder much like Mike has made. When you are in water where things are bigger than you - you can't be worrying if your foot is on the rudder LOL
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2021 at 9:49am
That’s not a correct craft trailer, but a copy. If it’s the same size as the #3 that came under the SN, it won’t fit the mustang well- and will cause significant grief when loading. Ask Morfoot about that.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2021 at 11:17am
Hopefully it’s narrower than a real #3. If it’s too wide you’ll just stab the boat between the bunks, not up on them.

Tim posted incremental widths of #3s and #2s a long while ago, maybe someone can find them.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2021 at 2:37pm
I’m calling your bluff nautiquehunter
After all the hard beautiful work you’ve done, I’m guessing your not going to be happy with that sling thing.
Do a folding extension
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 78910>
  Share Topic