NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prop and strut

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
DasBoot67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DasBoot67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prop and strut
    Posted: September-19-2018 at 9:06pm
I’m reinstalling my engine in my 16 ft Mustang because I replaced stringers and floor I misplaced my notes and measurements when I did a clean up what is the distance between the prop and strut I have a 289 with velvet drive with a 40 and half long shaft one inch max and min distance
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2018 at 9:28pm
40” shaft would be original. There is no min... the smaller the gap between strut and prop, the better. Figure 3/8” to get a puller on.

I wouldn’t use that to determine proper engine placement though... there are better ways to do it- though you’ll need to mock it up in the boat.

DasBoot67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DasBoot67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 9:07pm
I have 3 3/8 of a inch between my prop and strut after mocking the engine
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 9:21pm
3/8” or 3-3/8”?
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 9:25pm
Oops
Sounds like a lathe job in future to me
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Oops
Sounds like a lathe job in future to me

I'd say it's more like a engine adjustment. Per the list, a Mustang should have the 40" shaft so, the engine needs to be moved forward.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I'd say it's more like a engine adjustment. Per the list, a Mustang should have the 40" shaft so, the engine needs to be moved forward.

Forward and up then
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 11:32pm
That measurement doesn't surprise me too much. Having owned and torn apart several mustangs, I've noticed that they tend to have a long tail aft of the strut.
If the engine is back in its original position after the stringer replacement, I think your best bet would be to shorten the shaft on the coupling end. A maximum of of 1" between the strut and the prop would be best. My old '70 mustang will be retuning to me in the week or so if you still need measurements. However I know it has a long tail as well..
Old school goin back to school!
DasBoot67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DasBoot67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2018 at 12:19am
That would be great let me know
DasBoot67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DasBoot67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2018 at 6:47am
I would like to tell everyone that is trying to help that I went from the old style mounts to a set of commander mounts I bought from someone on this site
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2018 at 8:58am
And you are placing them on the same blocks that correct Craft did to replicate the geometry, right? If not, I can see how the engine would be placed too far back in order to align with the log/strut.

With so many changed variables, you really need some baseline measurements on where that engine goes.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2018 at 9:31am
You need the measurement from the log to the trans flange from a similar boat and that is where the engine should be located regardless of what mounts you have.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic