Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RH/LH rotation marine/auto parts

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Ubugarrity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ubugarrity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RH/LH rotation marine/auto parts
    Posted: August-09-2018 at 12:54am
Is there a good source to explain what parts are rotation specific and what parts can be auto and not marine?
Specifically for 302 and 351 both reverse rotation RH.
STARTER depends where it's mounted but if it's standard does it need to be marine?
FUEL PUMP does rotation matter? Doesn't seem like it. Can you use auto or marine?
TIMING CHAIN COVER seems like marine is cast with more places to mount accessories. Can you use aluminum from auto? Does rotation matter? Are the water holes different to match water pump?
WATER PUMP some seem to be rotation specific and some say bidirectional. Does pump have to match timing cover?
DISTRIBUTOR rotation specific
Any other parts?
I've found answers all around but not great explanations. So if you can explain the why and why not I'm just really curious. I have a 351w RH with marine block and cast timing cover. I have a 302 RH with auto block and aluminum timing cover. Any comments would be appreciated and maybe help someone else.
Thanks
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2018 at 2:45am
Safe to assume all small block Ford marine engines are Windsors,Cleveland's another Ford small block family rarely turn up as marine engines,not even sure if any parts are common between them,but figure that Cleveland and Boss 302 are not interchangeable with Windsor engines.
Starter needs to be marine,marine ones are sealed so they don't create an explosion hazard.
Fuel pump does not care what direction the engine is but it must also be marine,they have another set of seals and a sight tube in case the diaphragm ruptures. You don't want raw fuel in the bottom of the boat.
Timing covers are not marine specific other than the ones that have a water pump mount. Keep in mind these engines were used in all kinds of inboards,many used in salt water. Aluminum does not last long in salt,the engine builder might not know where the end product would be used so most were cast iron.
Bi directional pumps for small block Fords will fit their small block timing covers.
Distributors no matter the rotation,all turn the same direction,it is the gear that changes on right or left handed engines,oil pumps are driven off the distributor too,so they always turn the same no matter what the rotation of the engine is.
Crankshafts can be handed,right hand engines have knurling at the seal area this way \\\\ to help the seal keep the oil in. Left hand engines can be like this /////.
Harmonic balancers can be handed too only because of the timing marks put on them. A timing tape can be used to correct them though.
Core plugs,or some times called freeze plugs are brass to prevent rust out.
Alternator needs to be marine for the same reasons as the starter and distributor and sometimes the cooling fan on it is rotation specific also.
If you have a PCM engine for some reason the alternator mount is either right or left handed. Never had both in hand at the same time so I don't really know what the difference is.
Early Ford marine engines actually originate from their Industrial division, GT40's engine paper work says Ford Marine Power Products on it,don't know if that was still under the Industrial division though.
I think that's about it,someone will pipe up if I missed anything.
Any other questions just ask.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic