Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help with My Horn

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BarracudaBay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarracudaBay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with My Horn
    Posted: August-08-2018 at 2:30am
I will start by saying I am an amateur so please take it easy on me ;)

I recently purchased a ‘68 CC Barracuda SS and I’m loving it. It has a rebuilt engine and it runs well but I am trying to make some minor repairs. One issue is my horn. The horn electronics are working (the button triggers the solenoid) but the horn doesn’t sound. The air tank is in my bow and it has a line running to the horn and to the engine. Can anyone provide me with some insight regarding how the vintage Hadley horns actually work on a Correct Craft of this age?

Any tips for how to trouble shoot my horn problem?

Thanks!

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2018 at 7:01am
Rafe,
The "air tank" you mention sounds like a replaceable Freon cartridge. I'd say it's empty. The replaceable "air source" was very common back then. Post a picture so we can confirm.

Speaking of pictures, how about some of the boat too. I and I know others would love to see it.

Welcome to CCfan.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2018 at 10:16am
My fix for replacing the Freon cartridge was to install a small air compressor. I also need to install a regulator as they are ear dealing loud with 120 psi!😬. As Pete said pictures are encouraged!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarracudaBay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2018 at 3:29pm
Thanks for your notes... Here are some pictures of the air tank. As you can see there is one air line running to a pump on the engine and one air line running to the horns.

Do other people have a similar setup?

The Hadley Horns

Air tank with 2 lines and one solenoid (for the horns)

The pump connected to the engine...
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2018 at 6:08pm
That is a different set up than mine was. Interesting to say the least. Different horns as well. I am not much help.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2018 at 6:50pm
Rafe,
What you have is a vacuum driven air compressor. Years ago I had one on a truck. They work great when the vehicle is going down hill producing the max vacuum but I question how it would perform on a boat. Since a marine engine is under load pretty much all the time plus there are no hills to go down, there's very little vacuum. I suggest going with one of the mini compressors for air horns or go with the CO2 conversion I did.
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

6 summers and still blowing with the first bottle of CO2 after the "Freon" conversion.

BTW, that original tank of CO2 is still working!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2018 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

BTW, that original tank of CO2 is still working!!!

I'll fill in for Ken -

Well when you only try it once a year.......
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarracudaBay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2018 at 7:39pm
Thanks for the input... Would you mind posting amazon links to the items you need for your setup?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2018 at 7:59pm
CO2 regulator
CO2 tank
Use your existing solenoid valve.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarracudaBay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2018 at 9:40pm
Did you tank come with air or did you fill it when it arrived?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2018 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by BarracudaBay BarracudaBay wrote:

Did you tank come with air or did you fill it when it arrived?

It came filled. BTW, it's not air but rather CO2.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic