Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM 40 A Transmission Problems

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MonsterSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonsterSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM 40 A Transmission Problems
    Posted: August-01-2018 at 10:35am
Hello everybody and greetings from Germany!

I’m new to the Forum and do have a problem with my 75 Years Anniversary Ski Nautique Boat. It was build in 2000 and has the standard 5.8 Liter carbureted engine with the PCM 40 A 1.23/1 transmission in it (Boat has about 500 hours on the clock). I bought the boat about 4 weeks ago and didn’t have the chance to test it on the water when I got it. After I did a whole bunch of maintenance stuff to it, I took it for a spin on Sunday. Now the problem, the transmission is making a loud rattling noise when put in gear. In neutral no noise at all. When increasing speed while in gear the noise will get less to a point where it’s not noticeable. But while in idle and in gear the noise is really loud and present. Already detached the drive shaft to check that the noise is definitely coming from the transmission and yes it is.

First I thought of a bad bearing or a missing tooth of a gear. Pulled the Transmission out and took it apart. I can’t see a single bad bearing, every gear looks fine and even the clutch plates seem to be in good condition. Really don’t know what to do next. I don’t want to put the whole transmission back together without finding a problem. Already thought that it might be so worn out that it’s gear and bearing tolerances got too big, but the boat only has about 500 hours of run time. Could play between clutch plates or the pressure plate be a problem and make the loud noise that the transmission is making in gear?

Here’s a link to some running videos and pictures of the transmission:
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B17GgZLKuGjZV6g

Thank you so much in advance for your help!Running video and pictures
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-01-2018 at 11:34am
Ugh, i wish you inquired her first prior to taking it apart.

Its likely as simple as your idle is not smooth enough, and the planetary or clutch pack rattles

or worse case the damper needs replacement (you should do this now with the transmission off)

but I suggest you make certain the output bearing is noise free, and put it back together, throw it a new damper, and fix your carburation.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonsterSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 6:03pm
Thanks for your answer GottaSki!

Had to wait quite some time for the new parts to arrive. I am pretty sure that you were right with the defective damper plate since the old one had kinda loose springs that are making rattling noises even when moving the damper plate by hand.. Ordered a new one and put it in yesterday. The carb didn’t have any problems but I had to put in a new set of spark plugs and a new coil. The engine runs absolutely perfect now!
I have rebuild the transmission even though nothing was broken. I did put in some new bearings, new gaskets, o-rings, seals and clutch plates. Thought if it is open anyways, it won’t hurt to invest in some new parts (well it did hurt my bank account).

After I’ve finally had the time to put all back together today, I filled up the tranny with two quarts of new Dexron type 3 through the dipstick hole. Started the engine and put it in gear. Nothing. Absolutely nothing.
Thought of some air being trapped in the pump and tried to force oil trough the lower cooling line, hoping it will make its way to the pump. Also filled oil in the upper hose to fill the oil cooler. Started the engine again. Coupler turned for a short moment right after start up, even though the transmission was in neutral. When putting it into gear nothing happens. Reved it up to 2000rpm but that didn’t change anything. Let the engine idle at 1200rpm with transmission in neutral to work the pump a little bit but that didn’t help either. I am kind of concerned to let the pump run to long because I am not sure if it has any oil at all. Will try remove the really rusty allen screws tomorrow to see if there is any oil pressure. Also going to remove some of the oil in the transmission since it’s probably filled with 3 quarts by now.

I will keep you updated, however if anyone knows a solution for my problem you’re very welcome to share it with me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonsterSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 6:09pm
By the way, I did check the control valve twice to make sure it’s assembled the right way. And it definitely is. Already thought that one of the two little o-rings in the assembly might have gone lost when assembling the pump. But since I worked very carefully I will rate that possibility as low.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2018 at 6:25pm
2 qts seems pretty light for a full drain and refill. I’d fill it up to start.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic