Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Faded gelcoat restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Faded gelcoat restoration
    Posted: July-17-2018 at 1:19pm
I assume this is a common question...

Considering a sport nautique that has clearly been neglected, and stored outdoors under a tarp for a year or two. Here's a picture of the gelcoat... it looks totally faded/scratched.

I had an old boat that had red gel, that was in similar condition. I spent a TON of time and effort wet sanding and buffing, and never was able to get it looking good. Ultimately, I painted it (wasn't worth trying to do new gelcoat).

Question is, do you think this is salvageable? Does wet sanding typically do the job on these boats? Or is this a lost cause and would need a full gelcoat restoration?

throttle out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2018 at 1:28pm
The picture is real vague but a good rule of thumb I like to use is get it wet and observe. What it looks like wet is a good indicator of what you can expect out of a gelcoat resto.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001 351 PCM w/ 1-1.23
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2018 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by throttle out throttle out wrote:

The picture is real vague but a good rule of thumb I like to use is get it wet and observe. What it looks like wet is a good indicator of what you can expect out of a gelcoat resto.

Yeah it's all I have, the seller sent me the photo.

The wet and observe thing is interesting, but on my old boat (which was a wellcraft), the red gel looked great when wet, but I never was able to restore it with wetsanding... immediately faded again.
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2018 at 1:36pm
You can get most any color to come back if done right, even red. Some won't come back to the original color based on the overall condition. Wet sanding and several passes with a wheel is the process... Takes time and patience and the results should be way better then excepted !!!
Happy sanding.....
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2018 at 1:59pm

My boat prior to resto

After resto
It can be done. knowing the process and following it strictly will get er done every time!
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2018 at 2:01pm
That does look great, but I would think the gelcoat I showed in the picture looks quite a bit worse than yours did... hard to say though I guess. Not sure I want to put that much effort into a boat that's obviously been neglected, may have other issues as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2018 at 2:25pm
Lots of work for sure
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2018 at 6:35pm
Can't comment on newer boats but click on my avatar and check out the before and after shots of my Mustang. It is alot of work,you would have to get a good deal on it . Surely there are others to look at
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 11:22pm
I saw that same boat it’s roached out lots of work

DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

You did? Can you verify the make and model and approximate location? I was thinking about driving two hours to see it but I won't if you're saying it's a mess.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 11:48pm
I did not see it in person emailed for more pictures that’s all I needed.
It looks to be a 99 sport as stated in the ad
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 11:50pm

I did not see it in person emailed for more pictures that’s all I needed.

Ok... But convince me it's the same boat, what year? Where is it located?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2018 at 11:59pm
Not sure why I need to convince you it says ClaytorLake

https://blacksburg.craigslist.org/boa/d/1999-sport-nautique/6583915541.html

Here’s a nice boat for the money and I can vouch for the condition being excellent

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forsale/details.asp?ID=9793&sort=&pagenum=2
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 12:23am

Not sure why I need to convince you it says ClaytorLake

https://blacksburg.craigslist.org/boa/d/1999-sport-nautique/6583915541.html

Here’s a nice boat for the money and I can vouch for the condition being excellent

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forsale/details.asp?ID=9793&sort=&pagenum=2

Could you really tell from the pictures? I also asked for more pics, and got incredibly close up, pretty useless shots. Wondering if there's more there.

Your SN does look nice, but I'm really in the market for something bigger /deeper vee like the BFN / Excel breeds, or a sport / super sport. Open bow is a huge plus too.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2018 at 8:30am
Originally posted by DockDoc<br /><br />Could you really tell from the pictures? [/QUOTE DockDoc

Could you really tell from the pictures? [/QUOTE wrote:

Notice two shadows and water ring reflection

Notice two shadows and water ring reflection

sanoman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 7:58am
Originally posted by DockDoc DockDoc wrote:

That does look great, but I would think the gelcoat I showed in the picture looks quite a bit worse than yours did... hard to say though I guess. Not sure I want to put that much effort into a boat that's obviously been neglected, may have other issues as well.

That's what the gelcoat on my 89 nautique looked like when l bought it.I work around the auto shop bisiness and a painter buddy and l wet sanded and then buffed the boat out.l never would have thought it would look that good.
Yours turned out awesome for red gelcoat,but takes a lot of time to get there!
Goldcup101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldcup101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 1:49pm
I restored a 97 Ski last year which is a similar colour. Gelcoat was pretty faded and came up really well using techniques and materials suggested by fellow members on the forum.

DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 3:17pm
Awesome thanks! Sounds like there is hope for this boat, potentially.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 4:18pm

I never said it couldn't be restored I said it would be a lot of work and for the money it's listed for that's crazy.

Here's my '85 going under transformation

New graphics

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 4:23pm
Trouble is if he's starting off at 11900 your not going to be able to get it down enough to make it worthwhile IMOH. Dash looks a mess,interior replacement eats up money fast
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Trouble is if he's starting off at 11900 your not going to be able to get it down enough to make it worthwhile IMOH. Dash looks a mess,interior replacement eats up money fast

Probably right. Boat's too far away for me to easily go look at anyway. And I don't have a sweet shop setup like you to do this kind of work.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 4:34pm

You don't need a big shop you can do it in you're driveway just harder that way.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same boat I saw for sale a year or two ago out of DCL
Has the MD registration and the cover snaps going down the side (one of the reasons I didn't like it)
Goldcup101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goldcup101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 4:38pm
Agreed. At that price, it's too much work.

I only paid $3000 for my 97 due to the amount of work it needed. Also had 1800 hours on it so rebuilt the engine as a precaution (though it was in impressively good condition when inspected) . The fact that it had a decent trailer, PP and a brand new transmission sealed it.   

I don't fancy repeating all that sanding & buffing though.
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 4:38pm

You don't need a big shop you can do it in you're driveway just harder that way.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same boat I saw for sale a year or two ago out of DCL
Has the MD registration and the cover snaps going down the side (one of the reasons I didn't like it)

Yeah been there done that... pretty sure I don't want to do it again.

I bet it is the same boat, I was also wondering why the MD tags. The correct craft world seems to be a small one...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2018 at 7:53pm
Don't give up as long as you're willing to do the work.
Throw a number at him, most he can say is no and sit on the boat for another year.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2018 at 2:56pm
Did mine in my driveway!!
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2018 at 10:44pm
Some mail box is missing its numbers.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2018 at 12:47am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Some mail box is missing its numbers.

Now that's funny
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2018 at 12:22am
Doc,
I live up Hwy 16 ( North or Charlotte) in Denver, NC at Lake Norman, There is a boat dealer on Hwy 16 business , downtown Denver, that has a 1993 or so Sport Nautique with potential. It looks a lot better than what you are looking at in this thread. I stopped today to take some photo's and I will post them here for your review. The dealer is as follows:

KTR Motorsports, Inc. 3840 Hwy 16 Business, Denver, NC 28037. 828=312=1743.

They also have a early 70's Ski Tique for over one year. I walked up to a fence and snapped a few photos. I do not know anything about the boat or the price. However, it reminded me of Randy in Ohio who use to hang out on this site and attended some CCFAN events. I always loved his boat. He now hangs out at Winnebago Fan.com . Randy's ex wife was scared to death of bear attack at the Green Lake WS events. Too funny.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2018 at 12:30am
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Doc,
I live up Hwy 16 ( North or Charlotte) in Denver, NC at Lake Norman, There is a boat dealer on Hwy 16 business , downtown Denver, that has a 1993 or so Sport Nautique with potential. It looks a lot better than what you are looking at in this thread. I stopped today to take some photo's and I will post them here for your review. The dealer is as follows:

KTR Motorsports, Inc. 3840 Hwy 16 Business, Denver, NC 28037. 828=312=1743.

They also have a early 70's Ski Tique for over one year. I walked up to a fence and snapped a few photos. I do not know anything about the boat or the price. However, it reminded me of Randy in Ohio who use to hang out on this site and attended some CCFAN events. I always loved his boat. He now hangs out at Winnebago Fan.com . Randy's ex wife was scared to death of bear attack at the Green Lake WS events. Too funny.

That would be AMAZING! I would love to see this, please post pics or if you want to e-mail them to me that would be fine too... Mostly interested in the Sport. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic