NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to me 72 Skier

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 10>
Author
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2021 at 5:02pm
To date the only item to go through was a small drill bit through the ski tique bottom when we were doing that one. I won’t name names. But a quick patch with some thickened epoxy had it water tight. I have extra orange gel for small dings. Used it a little after the flip. Hopefully not much more.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2021 at 8:59am
This is a couple weeks delayed but thanks Tim, you jinxed me. I was working with the grinder around the exhaust backer boards to get them out and got a touch too deep on one edge. Had on goggles and they were full of dust. Didn’t go all the way through but enough to crack gel slightly. This week, from the inside of the boat I painted gel on to thicken the gel back a bit. Then followed that with thickened resin w chop and cabosil followed by a small mat patch followed by a large mat patch. The entire back will be strengthened further when glassing in backer boards in the future but this will allow me to now sand the crack out from the outside and touch up the gel. A goof for sure but never was too worried as we have gel in the fridge. Jesse and I are now even for going through the gel while working from the inside.
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2021 at 7:02pm
This is an awesome job, that orange is beautiful, been looking at skier, mustang and barricuda brochures, the oranges especially the tangerine has me looking for another hull already.

Post more pics.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2021 at 2:39pm
Ridgely wanted to stay in Winston this weekend so Jesse and I went to the farm Fri for 24hrs to get some progress done on the Skier.  We worked on cutting and shaping the Douglas Fir stringers.  Ran out of time yesterday and had to head home before getting the starboard secondaries finished.  Most of the cross blocking you see are just supports and place holders.  Ideally we would get all wood cut and fit this summer so we could do some glassing this fall while the temps are still good.  

****Also, we are looking for some commander motor mount feet like the ones in the last pic.  As you can see we have the 4 mounts but are two feet short.  Anyone with 2 they want to part with?  They will be used on this engine or another we have in the shop.  Still debating engines and mounting.  We have some nice PCM mounts from a 1977 donor boat that may go on the 302 for this boat.****

Hope everyone is having a great summer!

Marking a new Primary using an old yellow pine test stringer we made last time around.  We have this test stringer and an original Ski Tique stringer if anyone needs dimensions/drawing.

Shaping the hull side with the planer (great tool for hull angles!)

Progress from the stern

Progress from the bow

Commander motor mounts...2 feet needed

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2021 at 3:11pm
David,
Lots of engine mounts on eaby:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-21-2021 at 3:32pm
Got some time this past weekend to finish the wood work on the stringers including routing all of the edges with a round over bit. And CPES’d all of it too. Used epoxy from us composites thinned down with acetone. Next time we are there we plan to start bedding and fiberglassing. We got a big order from us composites last week. Going to use biax instead of mat this time. Let the fun begin. Finally time to start putting it back together.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 4:53pm
Got the boat off the trailer and onto low blocks.  Decided to try to make it easier to get in and out of then when we did the tique.  Masked all of the gel with plastic.  Bet you didn't know that budweiser makes you strong enough to lift a boat.

Bedded the primaries with thickened epoxy resin (epoxy, some milled fibers and enough cabosil til it is the consistency of peanut butter) and added 2" tape.  All of the tape we are using is e-cloth.  One thing we did different on this build is after cpes'ing the stringers, and while they were out of the boat, we put some fiberglass on the tough angles, ends, and cutouts.

Following day we sanded the 2" tape and epoxy smooth and acetoned to remove amine (sp?) blush and dust.  We then started laying 4" and 8" tape.  We have more to lay.  Then we will go to 12" and biax before starting to put in the secondaries.

With the loss of the pics due to the site hack and the talk of how this site is tough to post on (would be nice to be able to post pics on phone) I am going to try to keep up the posts and pics for future reference. I would have never taken on one of these projects without the knowledge and encouragement of folks on this site.  Much less been talked into another one...or more.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 6:26pm
Nice work. Looks great !!!!!!
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2021 at 2:58pm
While having the boat in the barn and on the floor was nice...we moved it back to my garage so it would be warm enough to epoxy and so we could work on it more regularly.  Used thickened resin to glue in the backer boards for the exhaust and swim platform and glassed them with cloth.  Bedded the secondaries and put on 2in tape.  Next up, keep glassing the stringers.  

Looking for Nautolex vinyl flooring in Shark Grey.  Seems that is out of stock most everywhere...if you have some you'd like to sell, we are on the hunt.  Or if you know where to find some at retail, let me know.  Thanks.  

Finally, if anyone near Winston Salem, NC would like to play fiberglass shop and drink beer or bourbon, all help is welcome.

samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2021 at 1:29pm
Boat is going back to the barn today.  Got the stringers glassed in.  Next up, cut the floor and ancillary pieces.  Need to get the garage back for a few weeks to keep the peace in the house.  Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year folks!

Also, had the opportunity to see Art (Audiodude) at a Wake Forest game.  Art toured us around the tv production trailer.  He does all of the sound for the tv broadcast and it was really cool to see.  The pic is of Arts studio in the back of the production trailer.  Forward of his studio was the tv production area with ~20 people and tv's everywhere in the trailer.  And, yes, he knew what all of those buttons did!  We were impressed.  Thanks Art!

Glass cutting station on floor.  We "may" have bought too much biax.

Glassed in stringers, wood for exhaust and swim platform backing, and blocking for floors.  (will do some sanding to smooth out some of the glass)

Last, our jack broke.  Seems to be bound and then the teeth on the gears stripped.  Thoughts on getting another?  I have researched A-Frame jacks and find similar but the metal plate that attaches to the trailer seems smaller on the new jacks.  Anyone know where to buy or will we have to buy and modify a bit?

67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2021 at 7:39pm
Your putting on a clinic. Nice work gents
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2021 at 8:08pm
Marty used to have a "contact" for the jacks.

Edit- Several of us bought them,he even painted them and put on a decal. Here is what he came up with- 

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-21-2021 at 11:22pm
Would love to have one. I’ll reach out to Marty. Thanks.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2021 at 9:25am
Let us know what you find out from Marty.  Thanks
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2021 at 9:45am
I wanted to get the jack out of the way of front winch area , easier to load on ramp when it’s out of the way
So got a side mount that swivels horizontal , no stubbie thing hanging down
Bulldog or Reese. Really like it
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2021 at 3:39pm
Got to the boat for a night and cut all of the plywood for the floors.  Brought that back to CPES and then will bring the boat back to glass in the floors etc.  Happy New Year!

Question: Want to use Nautolex on this build.  Trying not to have two floors like the original.  Any thoughts on a trim piece to hide the seam where the hull meets the floor.  Would love aluminum that could screw to the floor but flat pieces would not bend the curve of the hull.  A flat piece could be used on the hull side, but then screws can't be used.  Thinking rubber to hide it.  Other thoughts.  We will use T-molding like original for removable panels.

samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2022 at 9:32pm
Couple of updates:

Used some wax to pull a second seat off of our original.  Need to add quite a few layers of glass to the new seat, trim it up and then off to the upholster.  Need to figure out how the plywood bases work.

Finished the floor.  Used 5/8 ext ply cpes'd and attached with thickened epoxy.  Added a layer of glass over top the floor and up the hull side walls.  finished the bilge with Jamestown Epoxy Bilge Paint.  Next up Nautolex flooring but it will be a while most likely...summer is coming.

Took the boat back to the farm to get the garage back.  Took the day to compound the white gel top deck and dog house.  The shine came back nicely.  We plan to take the boat back to the shop to get the white gel touched up in places.  Then it will be time to put it all back together.  Hoping to take it to the shop in the coming weeks.

Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2022 at 6:19am
Outstanding Job Gentlemen. Clap !!! Can't wait to see this thing in person. Gotta admit...that orange and white Combo is BA!!!! Cool
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2022 at 6:31am
Very nice job.  

And with the effort put into the seat mold I suspect more to follow after this one...............
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2022 at 9:39am
Great work guys.  Really appreciate both the old school work and and old school documentation and reporting here on CCF. You are certainly demonstrating it is a labor of love vs flipping and making a buck.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2022 at 9:45pm
Anyone with a round style fender for this trailer. We are missing one and starting to think about options.

Just got a trailer jack from Marty and it is sweet!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2022 at 8:39am
Beautiful job. Thanks for sharing
I have a round fender, would need sandblasting you can have free
Shipping may cost
Send me pm I’ll send pictures
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2022 at 8:43am
My fender is 33 long x 14 tall x 7.5 wide
Also try ‘six Robles ‘ trailer supplies
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2022 at 3:22pm
Couple of questions. Planning to paint the boot stripe and racing stripe with paint. Thoughts on having our gel guy shoot them on? Good idea or no? Too thick? Harder to touch up in future bc can’t be buffed off and reapplied?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2022 at 10:16pm
Not worth the effort to gel - thickness is a bit of and issue - paint works but so does vinyl
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2022 at 10:03am
Cool. Going to paint! Have to get color match in the orange for the racing stripe. Will just use gloss white for the boot stripe.

Working on finding an orange vinyl to match right now. Tough as ours is more tangerine than orange. Have found some plain marine vinyl in good colors…still looking for pleated which we prefer for part.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2022 at 11:07am
Give these guys a call.  They heat stamped pleats in my Tique vinyl way back in 2014. Turned out great!  

Ask for Jim.  

The Jenard Corporation
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2022 at 2:23pm
Jenard now has a new name and no longer heat stamps vinyl. I was given the following names:

Carolina seal and quilt
And
H&R Fabrics

We will see
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2022 at 2:26pm
Got more glass on the new seat.  Turned out pretty good.  Also reinforced the old seat a bit. Took the boat back to the fiberglass shop for some more gel work on the white top deck.

Also got some airguides from Chad and they should work perfect!  May switch to the older glass lens with no center pointer to get them more period correct...think these are 80's.  Very happy with the condition of the chrome.  Will clean face and repaint the pointers.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2022 at 5:38pm

Here's a picture of what would be a couple of period correct Airguide tournament speedometers in 72.

The black faced ones you have didn't show up till 78ish.

I don't think changing the lense would do a whole lot  for "period correctness" and that little adjuster can be kinda handy  Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 10>
  Share Topic