NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to me 72 Skier

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 10>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2018 at 1:55pm
No it’s a conqueror crusader by thermo electron... a few of the accessories were common to the interceptor (rwp/bracket/etc) but not all. Interceptor was out of the game well before 72/73.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2018 at 2:55pm
I don't know that plugging passages is a long term solution. You may be constructing flow and building internal pressure.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2018 at 1:13am
Updates. Got some goodies from John, a fellow Ccfan in NC including commander logs and a new thermostat housing. Going to make some changes. John has some great boats, parts and an awesome shop. He is into Chris Crafts too and I can’t wait to see some of his current projects progress! We had a great day looking at treasures and talking boats.

Worked on the boat this past weekend. We have spark and she fired a little with some gas down the carb. Stopped there for now as we don’t have the logs on yet and didn’t want to run. Also blocked the prop and the boat turned over well and the trans seemed fine. That said, the plates are warped or rusted. Rebuild or run to see if they go back to normal? We are thinking of rebuilding no matter to learn something.

Also checked the instruments. They jump nicely on power. Hope they all work. Horn didn’t work. Traced the issue to the push button switch. Can it be rebuilt? The horn was tested and works like a champ.

Next up, pull the engine and strip the boat. Hopefully this coming weekend.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2018 at 1:48am
Is this what your looking for? ebay link
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2018 at 9:45am
Did you put another starter in it or was there some other reason for the smoking solenoid issue you had earlier?

Rebuild depends on how adventurous you are. It just might work fine with a little dirty neutral for a long time.

If you decide to rebuild, there is a lot of info on the site and it's easier with the right tools, but you can do some improvising too.

They're all listed in the Borg Warner manual

Besides snap ring pliers, a pair of lock ring pliers comes in handy.

Duane in Indy made all the special tools needed a few years back, with an offer to make them for people at a reasonable price Send him a PM
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2018 at 10:02am
Here's a link to Duane's post mentioning the tools

link
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2018 at 11:19am
Thanks for the link Gary! Exactly what we need.

Used the same starter. Once the prop was blocked the engine turned over fine.

Used the key this time, no smoke from the solenoid. Must have been a connection issue when we were jumping it with the remote starter trigger.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2018 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

Used the key this time, no smoke from the solenoid. Must have been a connection issue when we were jumping it with the remote starter trigger.

David,
The remote starter switch simply mimics the key switch feeding power to the coil on the start relay (solenoid) so the smoke is confusing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2018 at 8:52pm
Confusing only because who knows what a PO backyard hack has done. Possibly has used some Lucas components. If that's the case you will need to top off the smoke.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2018 at 10:08pm
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2018 at 10:22pm
That jar has to be fake. Lucas smoke is black!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2018 at 10:27pm
Lucas the prince of darkness!
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2018 at 3:42pm
Regarding Lucas Industries...

One of my Brittish friends says: "Do you know, mate, why the Brits drink warm beer?   Because Lucas makes refrigerators, too".

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2018 at 8:24pm
Happy New Year to all. We had a good weekend with the boat...no deer though. Got it striped down, everything off except the underwater gear that will remain. Washed her and drained (cool pic of draining the water out the back). Measured it all up and ready for stringers. Before that we plan to work on some sanding and buffing to see how we can get the gel. That will determine whether this will be a coosa (most likely) or a doug fir build.

Following is what the gel looks like now. There has been some test sanding done by someone previously. We are trying to mimic this and having a tough time.   See the pics below. Today we buffed with super duty and didn't come close to the results of these test spots. Then we used 1000 grit on a block and then 600. Nothing close. Any thoughts on how to get the results that are in the test spots?

Also, a quick how to on this throttle control:

Best pick I have of the before:

1) unscrew the black knob (gear/neutral knob)
2) pull the lever straight off...ours was stuck on there so we used a bearing puller which worked great...we were left with this (two bolts are removed in the pic)

3) remove the snap ring on the shaft and unscrew the retainer nut (round inner disc)

4) remove bolts from previous pic and remove the outer disc

5) remove the control device from behind the fiberglass

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-31-2018 at 8:32pm
If you’re trying to restore faded color, you’ll need to be aggressive in my experience. I’d skip right to 320grit and consider going to 220grit if that’s still too slow.

Teleflex control, right?
wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2019 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Gary checked his book and said the one on it was marine approved. Not being a carb expert by any means but I guess there was a change in the rules somewhere in the mid 70's that said marine carbs must have J-tubes installed. Joe, Tim, Pete probably know. New ones ain't cheap so I'd stick with the one ya got.

The 4160 on my '76 is a marine model without the J tubes. I verified this with Holley. Externally adjustable float. What are the other functional differences between marine and automotive Holley's of this era?
1976 Martinique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2019 at 8:08pm
Wisco

Here are a couple of questions you got asked in old posts that never got answered

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

List 6576 is definitely, 100%, absolutely and whatever other adjectives you want to throw in there a Marine Holley.

The original paint on the carburetor probably disappeared with a dunking in some good cleaner over the years or it may never have been painted.

By the way, that's a 600 cfm carburetor.

You say you have a 302, are you sure of that?

They normally came with a 450 cfm Holley.

Wisco

Sometimes a picture or 2 or 3 lead to all kinds of shall we say discoveries.

I think from the picture of your engine tag , that the big hunk of metal under it should be a 351 not a 302.

That blue color on the tag and the engine is 76 vintage color.

Maybe somebody swapped engines and put the old tag on or swapped tags.

Why don't you measure across the intake mounting bolts from one side to the other.

A 351 is about 9 1/4 inches center to center and a 302 is about 7 1/2 inches

The P tells you that it was built by Pleasurecraft R is for reverse rotation and D is for a 255 HP 351 (that was the 1976 HP rating)

From an old post

If you want an easy way to distinguish a 302 from a 351 measure from an intake manifold mounting bolt on the left side to the right side. It's easy to check on the engine with a tape measure.

If it's a 351W, the centerline distance will be about 9 1/4 inches

If it's a 302, the centerline distance will be about 7 1/2 inches

The picture is a 351w

So..........what's the story, is it a 302 or a 351 you have there?   

Here's a link with some info on throttle shaft differences between a marine and automotive Holley back then, you'll see pictures

link
wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2019 at 9:37pm
You’re a hawk Ken. But the advice is worth the abuse so I keep coming back here. . I played the 302 vs 351 with an old timer Air Force mechanic at work and he told me that because there are 3 sets of bolts on each timing cover that’s it’s a 302.   I was confused when I found out the carburetor rating months ago wasn’t consistent with what I was seeing on other 302s both marine and auto applications. PO is a pretty savvy heavy duty diesel mechanic (obv not marine) and also told me 302. So I just took it at face value.   I broke off one of the boosters fishing out a dropped wing nut   In the one of the secondary barrels and have been trying to figure out my best path forward. Holly will swedge in a new one for $55 If I mail it in.

I will go measure now. Can only post photos during business hours.
1976 Martinique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2019 at 3:47am
The only problem is that timing covers are interchangeable between a 302 and a 351.

302--

351--

Both back to back-

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2019 at 10:55am
I meant to say valve covers. I measured the intake manifold and the mounting bolts are 9.25” center to center.
1976 Martinique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2019 at 11:08am
Well so much for the old mechanic......
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2019 at 11:10am
Originally posted by wiscofoot wiscofoot wrote:

I measured the intake manifold and the mounting bolts are 9.25” center to center.

So, it's a 351. Better get someone else to help other than a Air Force mechanic and a diesel mechanic.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2019 at 11:35am
Originally posted by wiscofoot wiscofoot wrote:

You’re a hawk Ken. But the advice is worth the abuse so I keep coming back here.

Aren't you glad I ask these silly questions?

Cheapest power increase ever

49 absolutely free cubic inches

PS your friends were probably thinking about a 351C or a 351M as far as number of valve cover bolts                          
wiscofoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiscofoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2019 at 1:41pm

Aren't you glad I ask these silly questions?

Cheapest power increase ever

49 absolutely free cubic inches

PS your friends were probably thinking about a 351C or a 351M as far as number of valve cover bolts                          

Yes you are right as (almost) always. There is no replacement for displacement! I asked the gentleman today about the bad advice and he said “measure the intake bolts”...he has his moments.
1976 Martinique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2019 at 1:45pm
Cole,
Aren't you glad you get correct advice here.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2019 at 11:52pm
A little update. Summer came and slowed us down (ok, boating season stopped us dead in our tracks). Was/is a good summer. And the Badin Mini is coming up. Hope we see old friends and meet new ones.

So we tried all sorts of stuff to get the gel to match the test areas that were there prior to us...no luck. Tried superduty, aqua buff 1000, on and off, and then wet sanding more and more aggressive (down to 150). We could still see the difference even though we got close. We decided to gel the boat. Plan - do it ourselves. Knowledge and experience - none. Should be a learning experience. May not go well but here's to hoping.

Needed to get it flipped so we could concentrate on the orange first...

Boat Flip Time Lapse

Tough to see but there is a frame we built inside the boat so it would rest on the top of the stringers and so we could sit it on the trailer.

Next was grinding out all major blemishes, filling them with vinylester resin (suggested to us over epoxy for sticking to gel coat), and sanding smooth. There were holes all the way around for an old snap cover...they gone. Still have some refilling and sanding to do.

After this step we will sand the boat to get it prepped for gel. Looking for a place with a booth and large compressor for gel. Plan is to tint gel to similar color orange and paint boot stripe. We shall see...who knows when. Stay Tuned! And come play at the Badin mini. Water was great this past weekend!
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2019 at 12:54pm
Putting in a little time on the skier...we have fully sanded the orange gel and are hunting down a paint booth to rent. Plan is still to shoot new gelcoat. We have done some tests and they are pretty good. Fingers crossed.

We also put the engine back together. New to us Commander manifolds, therm housing and water pump. Rebuilt the carb and tested it out on the Tique. Tried to start yesterday on the stand and a few issues. Couldn't get the fuel pump to prime. We tried two pumps. Is there a secret? Running out of a 5gal gas can. If they are shot, easy rebuild? Greg suggested an inline ball primer to get it started.

Also, while cranking we noticed oil leaking out of the bell housing. Strange. Thoughts on these drips? We missing plugs in these holes? Rear main seal shot? Pics below.

Thanks.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2019 at 1:37pm
David,
On the oil, was the rear main seal R&R'd?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2019 at 2:39pm
Not sure what r&r is. We didn’t take the bell housing off. I think this engine was running when the prior owner had it and I don’t believe the engine was opened. Parts were taken off but they were all bolt ons.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2019 at 3:16pm
In this content, R&R is "remove and refit"

I wonder if the PO of the engine has the wrong rear main seal?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 10>
  Share Topic