NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to me 72 Skier

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 10>
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2023 at 1:52pm
Not an expert, never have done it, but I remember JoeinNY saying he bent rub rail around the bends by pushing a 2 x 4 around it to push it against the hull.....if that helps at all.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2023 at 2:25pm

When I did mine I used the exact same holes that I could that were already in the boat. I started and ended in the same spots that Correct Craft did. This is about the best picture I have. You can see a screw directly in the front. Tapping with a rubber and plastic hammers help but don't skip a screw when trying to bend your curve ie place screw in rail,attach then bend. The actual hardest part is across the stern you have to bend the rail horizontally across the back. Get yourself a hinge drill bit- it centers the drill bit in the center of the countersunk pre drilled hole in the rail making the screw sit flush when done.  2 person job take your time 

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2023 at 4:21pm
Like the 2x4 tip.

Gary.  I see your screw in the very front.  So it can be done.  I have a set of those drill bits, good advice.  We will put in screws as we go.  Who is that driving your boat Wink...haven't seen that guy in a bit.  

78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2023 at 7:19pm
I would grind a line through the gel above where the screws go and below the top of the rub rail as is the current production method of preventing straw cracks making their way from the new screw holes up onto the deck.   Rubber hammers, wood forms, and patience. Reid has probably done it more replacements than anyone at this point take it over to the bbc on a work night and have him supervise
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2023 at 8:45pm
And I might add leave the Coors Light and CQ at home too LOL
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2023 at 9:26pm
I can assist with some Bud heavy’s at the launch
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2023 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

Who is that driving your boat Wink...haven't seen that guy in a bit.  

No kidding.  He can be pretty elusive.  I even stopped in at his shop (work, not BBC) one day when I was in Mooresville on business (well monkey business, picking up a seat at the upholstery shop).  His person up front said he wasnt there, was out "on a job site" (wink wink nudge nudge)
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2023 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Who is that driving your boat Wink...haven't seen that guy in a bit.  

No kidding.  He can be pretty elusive.  I even stopped in at his shop (work, not BBC) one day when I was in Mooresville on business (well monkey business, picking up a seat at the upholstery shop).  His person up front said he wasnt there, was out "on a job site" (wink wink nudge nudge)
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2023 at 9:32pm
It doesn’t seem quite believable but every time I talk to him lately he is on the road to a job site doing work for Quinner - it doesn’t make no damn sense and yet it’s true
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2023 at 6:07am
David when I replaced Kermits rubrail I followed the above with the exception of NOT having a screw in the center of the bow I started on the stern first since its a double bend meaning you have two corners to bend around. You damn sure don't want the end/start of a new piece on a corner or just after a corner, If I had to do it again I'd use some 3/16 rope or paracord and tape it in place all the way around where your rubrail is gonna go Pick a starting point and mark the rope with a sharpie every 12'  ( I think a stick is 12 feet long) and that will tell where the seams are gonna land. On the last shortest piece don't measure and cut it before you install it. I did that and when I installed it I ended up about 3/16" short leaving a gap. CensoredCensored. Looking great! Gotta start working on a name for it if you haven't aready. "Tangerine Dream!"

And as far as the driver goes.... I did manage to talk to him this past weekend. No surprise but he is still on the go. Daytona for the race, Working on his tan in the islands Mon'. He'll be at the Ruckus so I'll see him that copilot with him so I'll get in person confirmation that he still exists. Word has it that CQ may end up at the Ruckus too but he's harder to get  hold of than Pinky.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2023 at 8:12pm
Spent the weekend at farm/lake. Got the rubrail done, steering installed, throttle on (the lever was in my truck in need of a set screw). Also bent a rope minder out of a 3’ half round stick. Not perfect but a decent first try. May try again. Think 2.5’ would be better as it would be a little shorter. Also got new step pads from jet on eBay. They are awesome. Have the old ones that are in decent shape if anyone wants to make an offer.

Tried to get the wiring started but the 10’ wire harness we bought from skidim seems short. I remember it being tight on the Tique but it seemed even shorter this time. Thoughts?  EDIT: It is short.  Last time we used a 16' harness from Ebasic Power.  Ordered one and will do elec soon.

Another question. Can’t see the tique gas tank right now. What fittings should be on fuel tank to connect fuel line? Right angle>>check valve>>barbed fitting??? Thanks.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2023 at 9:11am
You would just screw the anti siphon valve into the 90 degree fitting.

The anti siphon valve is barbed and has the spring loaded ball check inside of it

samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2023 at 9:40am
Thanks Ken...I'll look for an anti siphon barbed fitting...see that Skidim has it for our next order if I can't find locally.  And just to confirm, since these fittings are NPT, NO yellow tape is needed, correct?
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2023 at 11:36am
Another item we are looking for...there is a plastic shoulder washer on our morse control.  These are wear parts and were not used in later style controls.  The later style has the brass pivots in the metal arm hole.  This style has the shoulder washer between the pivot and the arm.  With Ron's help at SkiBoatPartsOnline, I found them at McMaster http://www.mcmaster.com/products/shoulder-washers/.  Will probably order them (100pk).  Anyone have some?  Or does anyone need any?  

samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2023 at 8:17pm
Got the gas tank installed along with some T-trim. Also mounted the throttle. The upholstery is ready and unfortunately we didnt get to pick it up. Hoping to hear the engine is done soon. We will see. Next up, probably start wiring.

NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2023 at 6:24am
Looking good fellas.  How is he comparison of empty Bud heavy's compared to the Tique rebuild measuring up?

'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2023 at 8:46am
I'm going to have to take the time and review this thread from the beginning, you guys do great work.  That gel work looks amazing and the flooring is classic.  This is going to be a great looking boat when done. 
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2023 at 1:33pm
No can pile this time around...wasn't a compressed time frame like last time.  Heard from our engine guy this morning and he is talking 2-3 weeks.  So fingers crossed.  We would then have to paint some ancillary parts and put it all back together and wire it.  Sooooo...plenty left to do
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2023 at 5:07pm
Jesse was able to pick up the seats today. See pics below. The white tabs on the rear cushion will be orange vinyl in a few weeks.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2023 at 5:57pm
OK...............somebody has to ask why that rope guard is so tall Wink

O

Here's one on a 72 SN.  More curve, less height

72 brochure

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2023 at 9:18pm
Part of a roll cage Ken- these boys are from NC after all !  I think it's a work in progress-

[QUOTE=samudj01]  Also bent a rope minder out of a 3’ half round stick. Not perfect but a decent first try. May try again. Think 2.5’ would be better as it would be a little shorter. 
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2023 at 6:06am
Just wanted to give them a gentle reminder and a couple of representative pictures to work with Gary Wink
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2023 at 9:20am
On our minds but a project that is on the back burner. We need to find better aluminum stock. Half round just isn’t right and that is the best we have found (found that at McMaster).
Tomrupp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomrupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2023 at 10:20am
Does the high rope guard make it a 3 seater while pulling for water sports?
Tom
94 Ski Nautique Open Bow 351 with Carb
95 Double Decker Aqua Patio with 50hp Honda (3 carbs).
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2023 at 10:37am
David the original was made out of stainless- don't know if that makes it easier or harder to find if it matters. I just looked up Taco but it is pre drilled on 6" centers like their rub rail.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2023 at 1:47pm
Need help. How to hook up this tach (pics below). We are used to 4 wires. This has 3 obvious hookups: the light, positive and negative. Thoughts on hooking up all 4 wires (pos, neg, light and signal)? Will the signal wire be doubled up on the pos or neg?

Also, heads done. Block was cracked in the back of the jacket so we are testing another one.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2023 at 7:01pm

Need help. How to hook up this tach (pics below). We are used to 4 wires. This has 3 obvious hookups: the light, positive and negative. Thoughts on hooking up all 4 wires (pos, neg, light and signal)? Will the signal wire be doubled up on the pos or neg?

Hey I've seen that picture before Wink

I'd probably hook the battery positive to the light bulb wire and touch the negative wire from the battery to the metal case and see if the light comes on (assuming the bulb is good)

That might tell you that the case is the ground and the ground wire could be hooked to one of the threaded studs for the mounting bracket.

Who marked the positive and negative on the back with what looks like some white paint? It doesn't look "factory"

Do you know if the tach works?
If the case is the ground then using the connections on the noise filter, I might try 12 volt power to positive and signal to what's marked as the negative with a running engine to see what happens 

In one picture you have a handful of original Teleflex gauges and I'd say the tach wasn't original and was a replacement at some time

Since you're going for period correct and not originality (speedometers, steering wheel etc), I'd look for a period correct looking tach that matches the rest of the gauges pretty good, if you can't get it figured out or it starts spitting out smoke Wink

Here's a picture of a 72 Skier dash that's mostly original with a Teleflex tach and gauges (Except for that depth finder where a speedometer once was)

Or get in touch with AutoMeter

Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2023 at 12:21pm
So what are your thoughts/impressions of using the Nautolex?
would you recommend it?
did you figure out the 88 glue? post said it wasnt making you happy?
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2023 at 1:18pm
To be honest, I’m not sure I have an answer. I love the Nautolex but not sure we found a glue we love. One issue is that it is a vinyl so air doesn’t get in once it is laid. Our favorite was contact cement bc it is basically dry when you lay down the product. The 88 glue wasn’t drying after a week or so. And I don’t think I’d recommend the outdoor carpet glue we used either. I may try a vinyl flooring glue or use contact cement again. Sorry I don’t have a better response. If you do use the 88 give it plenty of time for the water to evaporate as per the instructions. I think that is what gets trapped and doesn’t let it set up.
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2023 at 3:11pm
appreciate the feedback, thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 56789 10>
  Share Topic