NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Pylon

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
repifanio2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote repifanio2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski Pylon
    Posted: June-25-2018 at 10:28pm
How do I remove the ski pylon ring?
RKE
andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 7:15pm
What boat and year? I have an 86 silver nautique and i admit I've never tried to remove the ring from the pylon.

But if I was to try, I would remove the pin (or set screw, not sure which it is) that is 6" or so below the ring. Then I would very CAREFULLY heat up the pylon till it was just about too hot to touch and then spray the base of the ring with Super Cold. Then as quickly as possible while everything is hot and cold, put a piece of wood through the ring and CAREFULLY tap up on the wood with a hammer.

If nothing moves, grab a beer or sit with your wife, or both or vice versa and think about what you really want to achieve here and if it's worth doing damage to achieve it.
Builder
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 8:12pm
Andrew

He posted this twice, here's the thread with more info and quite a few responses

other thread

Grab your wife and a beer and have a good 4th.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2018 at 11:44pm
Guess he didn’t like the the way he has to do it, so he figured he post again and someone would post some easy miracle way to get it out.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote repifanio2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2018 at 11:45am
Hi Thanks for all the help. I like the beer part but I think my wife would run.
I am still having trouble with one of the pins. I think the ends have mushroomed. The ring itself is moving in place so I know that if I got the pin out. it would come our easy
RKE
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2018 at 1:15pm
All you need is a bigger hammer. Happy 4th!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote repifanio2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2018 at 3:29pm
Ok next question, I want to find replacement pins for the ring. Does anyone know where to find?
RKE
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2018 at 3:59pm
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote repifanio2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2018 at 4:05pm
do you know the exact DIA
RKE
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 8:19am
Take some drill bits and use them to size the hole, obviously you don't want it to tight that it's hard to get them in or out.
I want to say it was 3/16ths but not positive.
Try to get the length as close as possible to the ball just clearing that way you wont have a lot of lateral slop.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 10:36am
Originally posted by repifanio2 repifanio2 wrote:

Ok next question, I want to find replacement pins for the ring. Does anyone know where to find?

Ralph,

Do you want to replace the original roll pins or make the ring/finger removable with the pin Paul has suggested? If you're just replacing, roll pins can be found at practically any hardware store. The drill size used is the same as the pin which I believe is 1/4". If you want to make the ring/finger removable, then there's some more work needed. The pylon will need to be reamed for a slip fit. It can be done by hand in place and a machine shop should have a 1" expandable reamer.

Then the holes in the pylon and the shank of the ring/finger for the removable quick pin will need to be drilled larger. For a 1/4" pin, I suggest a 17/64" drill bit. The pin Paul pictured is great but I happen to like the T handle quick pins better. They are available at McMaster and also in stainless.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 5:36pm
Pete it doesn’t need reamed or anything, Just clean up the ring finger post and inside the pylon of any corrosion, and put a little grease or anti-seize on it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Pete it doesn’t need reamed or anything, Just clean up the ring finger post and inside the pylon of any corrosion, and put a little grease or anti-seize on it.

Paul,
It doesn't take long for the white rust to develop in the bore of the aluminum pylon. We all know how hard it can be to remove the ring/finger so I feel reaming a few thousands out of the bore will make it easy to remove. I recommend it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 8:20pm
Nope just a little anti seize does the trick
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2018 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Nope just a little anti seize does the trick

I have a feeling you got a loose one. Back then CC was never noted for their keeping tight tolerances.

BTW, Noalox should be used on aluminum.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic