Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tower Speakers

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
leftseat88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leftseat88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tower Speakers
    Posted: April-19-2018 at 10:27pm
It’s time to add speakers to the new tower. With so many options out there, which one to choose? Many out there are really for the ATV market and not really a marine application. Curious if you like or don’t like yours?
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2018 at 11:11pm
No clue whether I like them or not since I just got my tower this winter and haven't even installed it yet. However I've temp installed them to check out the system and they sound really good. They are Aerial bullets with the std. Polk DB652 speakers, which are marine grade. The upgrades are MM652, which are supposedly a bit better.    
I had MB Quart (marine) in my first boat - wasn't too impressed by those. Then Clarion, which weren't too bad, but really I wasn't really satisfied with any of the sound or performance from either till I did the system in my second boat.
I installed JBL marine coaxial in that one and they sounded great and could really handle some power - in boat install though, didn't have a tower. But then with 10 speakers, 2 subs and nearly 2000 watts you didn't really have a problem hearing it while in the water.   (The speakers I have installed in my SN (in the boat) are Kicker marine and are also very nice speakers that perform extremely well)

Though most tower speakers come pre-loaded, there are a few companies that will sell just the bullets and you can load them with whatever you want.   There are plenty of options with manufacturers and price ranges for the speakers themselves so if you have a favorite you could always go that route.
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2018 at 11:25pm

With tower speakers you need to decide what you want them for. Just some music off the back while swimming and nice coaxials (like Polk mm652) will do well.

If you want to have loud speakers that you can hear while boarding then you will need horns like the Wet Sounds Rev10.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 10:37am
Good point Paul, I hadn't really considered the sound projection while actually under way since this will be my first tower. I'm more of the back of the boat type guy so I'll be good with what I have. I'm going to assume that the horn type pods can handle much more power as well. Cost comparison?
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2018 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

Good point Paul, I hadn't really considered the sound projection while actually under way since this will be my first tower. I'm more of the back of the boat type guy so I'll be good with what I have. I'm going to assume that the horn type pods can handle much more power as well. Cost comparison?

I'm also more of a back of the boat person and put Polk MM651 on my last boat.

Polks will cost $300 to $400 depending on the enclosure you choose.

Wet Sounds Rev10s are about $1200.

96 Super Sport
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2018 at 3:27pm
I've got an original tower set from a 2005 SV211. Let me know if you're interested..
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

leftseat88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leftseat88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2018 at 11:33pm
Ok, here is the stupid question of the day. My speakers will be sitting out in the elements as I don’t have a covered lift at the moment. How do you protect the speakers from getting wet? Do you have to? Do you need to buy “marine” speakers? Polk makes some good speakers, so I’ve read. Can you put any Polk speakers in an appropriate “can”?

Thanks
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 12:04am
If you're worried about the weather, they make slip-on neoprene covers for most speaker pods. They will protect them from dust, sun and light rains - anything more than that and you'd want to pull her out anyway. Yes, you do want marine grade speakers, not automotive. Marine components are designed and built specifically for the marine environment and most automotive equipment would not hold up very long in those conditions.
Polk makes excellent marine speakers, but they are certainly not the only good ones out there. Generally speaking, the cheaper, generic stuff out there will not have the same quality sound nor hold up as well.   As with most things there are tiers of not only price but quality also.   If a company makes very inexpensive, so-so sounding automotive stuff their marine stuff will not be any better. Better quality will make better, etc. and prices will reflect that as well.

As Paul pointed out before, there are going to be differences in the TYPE of speaker you put in there as well - projecting loudspeakers will be the top dog, and priced accordingly.
Short of spending $1200 for a pair, you can get a great sounding, top quality pair of 'back-of-the-boat' speakers for between $80 and $300 depending on brand, size and performance level.

Some quality speaker manufacturers to consider would be (short list, several others not listed)
JL Audio
Rockford Fosgate
Polk
Clarion
Kicker
Infinity

If you are looking for that massive, sound projection from the tower while boarding, you'll be spending a lot more and there are much different options. You'll have to wait for someone with experience with this type of equipment like Paul to chime in on this because $$$ is about all I know about them
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 9:26am
I really don't know too much about the HDLCs (Horn Loaded Compression Drivers) other than these types of speakers are what you need if you want to hear music while riding or want to win loudest boat at the lake.

I like the idea of listening to music while riding but also think it's kinda obnoxious.

I do have wet sounds on my shopping list be for now I'll make do with my Polks.
96 Super Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 11:15am
Its all good advice above about deciding what you really want out of your speakers, I have a set of speakers with Horn Loaded Compression Drivers and a ton of wattage. They are ideal for being the loudest thing on the lake or playing music for a party that is located 100 feet behind your boat.   For music in the boat, or right behind the boat at the sandbar, not so much as they are super directional and really need some power put to them to fill out the sound.   I have found some of the JL stuff and Roswell stuff on friends boats to work better for hanging out.   When I am playing the music at the sandbar I literally anchor my boat 50-75 feet away from the raft up which is a PIA cause I like my boat and it has my cooler…    if you can try what you buy.   The polk marine speakers in my boat have been solid for 8 years pushed regularly at the limit of their rated volts.

Remember any speaker without a good well matched amplifier is not going to sound great – a great amp will make even junk speakers sound pretty good – for a while at least.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 2:55pm
My other boat has polks that have been out in the elements for over 5 years, maybe more. No issues. They occasionally have a wasp nest or something like that. I just hit with water, then crank them up.
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
s_kelley2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s_kelley2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by gt40KS gt40KS wrote:

If you're worried about the weather, they make slip-on neoprene covers for most speaker pods. [/IMG]

Here is a link to Speaker Sox if you are looking for speaker covers. As long as you have marine grade speakers I would not worry about the rain, but they are great for keeping the sun off the speakers if your boat is stored outside. Excessive sun exposure can cause the rubber speaker surrounds to break down prematurely.

I have had Kicker KMT 674s on my tower for 5 years and I think they provide a lot of bang for the buck.. You should be able to find a lower price than my link if you shop around. I am not an audiophile but they sound great in the boat and hanging out behind it. They do go loud enough to hear at wakeboard length but it's a stretch. My lake frowns upon loud stereos so it's not really an issue for me.
1999 Python Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic