NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 oil pan comparison pictures

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 oil pan comparison pictures
    Posted: February-24-2018 at 10:20am
Since the question comes up every now and then about replacement oil pans to fit a marine 351w, I thought i'd post a couple of pictures comparing a PCM oil pan from a mid 80's 351w and an aftermarket replacement for a 351w.

Many times people have said that the Bronco, Econoline, F series truck oil pan from the mid 80's was thought to be the same pan that came on these engines.

Since I have a PCM pan in my collection of pieces parts and I was helping a friend with his mid 80's Bronco with a 351w, I figured I'd take a couple of pictures of the difference in these 2 pans.

The silver pan is the PCM and the black one is a Spectra FP-07B that fits the Bronco, Econoline and F series trucks from the mid 80's.

As you can see, they're not the same.

The low point of the Spectra is about 1 1/2 inches further back and the low point of the pan is the drain plug on the bottom at the very rear of the pan. The drain plug wasn't in for the pictures but with it in, the pan stuck down about 3/4 of an inch more than the PCM. The pictures can be a little deceptive but those are the actual measurements.

So that naturally would lead to the question of whether it will work as a replacement for your PCM pan.

Easy answer is ,,,,,,,,,,it depends on the boat. You'll have to figure that part out yourself.

Somebody like TRBenj might be able to tell you how much clearance there is on different hull and transmission combinations

Along with the pan, you'd also want the original Ford oil pump pickup tube and strainer to go with the Spectra pan. Something like a Melling 83S2

You can also find an old thread where Wideopen44 used a Dorman pan which is basically the same thing and it fit his 86 SN. Here's a link

link to old thread

That drain plug on the bottom may or may not leave any room for a drain hose either, meaning you'll be sucking it out through the dipstick tube in some cases.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2018 at 2:14pm
Just like to add the below from a Ford book I have for future reference -

As you can see in the picture the pan used on a PCM 351 is from an Econoline van. A 302 uses a pan from a 4x4 pickup and Bronco

Here is the pan on my 302 PCM,same pan is on my Holman Moody, part # D1TE-6675-BA -

Here is a PCM 351 pan late 80's -

Same pan used on GT40's part # D5UE-6675-BA or F4JE-6687-AA
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2018 at 5:28pm
I think there's a small problem with the 351 Econoline oil pan theory Gary.

The early 70's 351 Econoline used a front sump oil pan. The marine PCM 351 pan came into existence in the early 70's before the Econoline went to a rear sump pan.. Maybe it's a chicken or the egg thing   

In the 80's it used the rear sump pan that's the same aftermarket part number as the F series and Broncos. In the case of Spectra it's FP-07B and like the first post says, it's close and might work .................or might not.

Maybe an OEM 351 pan for an 81 Econoline van was pirated from the industrial/marine division. I sure don't know

I could be all screwed up on Econoline pans too
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2018 at 6:14pm
It's no theory Ken      Part numbers tell all, D5UE. In this case 5 tells the decade of design which is the 70's. D is introduction year or revision which is 5. U is model,Econoline/Club Wagon van 1961 and up. E is engine group.

F4JE is '90's, 4 is year, J is industrial/marine and E is engine group

D1TE is 70's,1 is year, T is Truck (1958-65), Light/Medium Truck (1966-82), Bronco (1966-82, Except 1970-73), Light Truck & Bronco I (1983-later) E again is engine group

As a side note that F4JE pan I just bought is a brand new take off from a crate engine that was going into a late 60's Mustang. It needed a pan that would clear so it was changed out.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2018 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

It's no theory Ken      Part numbers tell all, 5DUE. In this case 5 tells the decade of design which is the 70's. D is introduction year or revision which is 5. U is model,Econoline/Club Wagon van 1961 and up. E is engine group.

F4JE is '90's, 4 is year, J is industrial/marine and E is engine group

D1TE is 70's,1 is year, T is Truck (1958-65), Light/Medium Truck (1966-82), Bronco (1966-82, Except 1970-73), Light Truck & Bronco I (1983-later) E again is engine group

As a side note that F4JE pan I just bought is a brand new take off from a crate engine that was going into a late 60's Mustang. It needed a pan that would clear so it was changed out.

You need a little work on your first sentence

D is for the 70's 5 makes it 75. The 6675 means it's an oil pan too.

What's the 6687 mean in your F4 part number? I don't know, maybe you do.

But anyways where did the D5UE 6675 BA part number come from?

Back to the point of the thread as was mentioned in the first post, one of the readily available aftermarket replacements may or may not fit. depending on the hull.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2018 at 9:08pm
Oops got that bacards That D5UE was a pan that was for sale on a web site someone had posted earlier,identical to the one I just bought,F4JE and the same as the late 80's pan I have that has no part number on it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2018 at 2:29pm
On further review part number F4JE-6687-AA shows for a windage tray. It is the only number that I could find on a pan I just bought for a 351 Ford. The windage tray is welded into the pan. Other than that tray it matches up perfectly with a pan I have from a late 80's PCM 351.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2018 at 3:06pm
GT40's used the pan with the windage tray... I would generally consider it an upgrade for any of the SBF correctcrafts that came before that point, particularly if compared to an original that is rusty or leaks. . I bought one to use in my 83 a while back but ended up not being able to use it due to some other minor upgrades I had made to that engine...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2018 at 10:00pm
After looking at this linkfrom G Mars thread looking for a pan and comparing the internal pictures to my mid 80's pan, I'd say Gary is right about the 351 Econoline oil pan from some unknown years but starting in 1975 being the same thing, if the pan in the link has D5UE-6675-BA (Econoline part)stamped in it and is from a 79 OMC 351,

My picture is an 87 SN 351 oil pan. Only difference would be the drain plug threads being 1/2-20 on the 79 pan and M14-1.5 on the 86 which would then have a different part number because of that.

None of them are available any more, but at least it's some info to use if you're looking for a used one.

NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2023 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Since the question comes up every now and then about replacement oil pans to fit a marine 351w, I thought i'd post a couple of pictures comparing a PCM oil pan from a mid 80's 351w and an aftermarket replacement for a 351w.

Many times people have said that the Bronco, Econoline, F series truck oil pan from the mid 80's was thought to be the same pan that came on these engines.

Does anyone know if PCM/Correct Craft had Ford Customize an oil pan to fit their models? It seems odd that there is no a specific number, (Ford OEM or otherwise), that ensures a proper fit. Or is it just a fact of life that one must use the tape measure and hope that whatever you buy fits into the bilge without bottoming out?  The other dilemma from searching and reading threads is that many of the pans that match the engine and look identical in the pictures, don't have a provision for the dipstick. Why would a mfgr sell one without the dipstick fitting?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2023 at 7:57am
Originally posted by NeilMcG NeilMcG wrote:

[QUOTE=KENO]  Why would a mfgr sell one without the dipstick fitting?

Starting in the late 80's, 351w blocks came with the dipstick hole in the block, so it wasn't exactly necessary to make a pan with a dipstick hole any more. 

Sometimes people have too many dipstick holes when they use a new block and old oil pan which both have holes and they need to plug the block hole.

What you need is for someone here on CCF with a mid 70's to 81 Ski Nautique to see if a 1 inch thick piece of wood will slide under his oil pan/bellhousing  since your engine is all apart and out of the boatWink

NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2023 at 9:06am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by NeilMcG NeilMcG wrote:

[QUOTE=KENO]  Why would a mfgr sell one without the dipstick fitting?

Starting in the late 80's, 351w blocks came with the dipstick hole in the block, so it wasn't exactly necessary to make a pan with a dipstick hole any more. 

Sometimes people have too many dipstick holes when they use a new block and old oil pan which both have holes and they need to plug the block hole.

What you need is for someone here on CCF with a mid 70's to 81 Ski Nautique to see if a 1 inch thick piece of wood will slide under his oil pan/bellhousing  since your engine is all apart and out of the boatWink 

I'll get on that. Wink

I think another crucial thing is clearing the pickup. This seems to have a center sump, although I assume it's a rear.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2023 at 9:28am
Back in the first post there's a Melling part number (83s2)  for the pickup compatible with the rear sump pan like a Spectra FP-07B or ATP 10340 or Dorman 264-003 or other stock replacements for an 84 F250 or a bunch of other models and years that use those pans.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic