Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Seat Skins

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
throttle out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seat Skins
    Posted: November-20-2017 at 10:05am
Those folks out there that have successfully sewn up new seat skins for the interiors of their boats, I'm looking to learn any tips or tricks from you that you learned along the way.
I know this is vague and that this process can potentially not be something you would recommend a complete novice to perform. I simply can't afford Christines Marine at this time and I still need to be able to enjoy my boat with my family. I have access to a commercial/industrial sewing machine, and to be honest my uncle is egging me on to do it as he did his 93 Mastercraft 190 a few years ago. Obviously he is a base point of knowledge for me however, about halfway through his he ran out of time and paid someone to finish it for him.
Big initial questions I have are;
- How much vinyl do you recon I would need roughly to do a complete 1989 Ski Nautique deluxe interior ( I understand that I will likely scrap many pieces in the learning process)
- As thread goes, what is that goods and what is junk for marine environments
- I will be using what I can from my current interior for patterns, do I simply cut the at the seams and pattern them directly?

I understand there is far more involved to replacing the seat skins than simply the vinyl, but I am simply trying to focus on what it takes to reproduce the skins ONLY. I'm not a pro when it comes to the other parts of a job like this but I have experience in those aspects of it.

Any help, tips, tricks, or pointers would be HUGELY appreciated!!!!

Thanks Yall!!!

1989 Ski Nautique 2001 351 PCM w/ 1-1.23

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2017 at 10:17am
Here is what my interior currently looks like!

Last year I did a complete exterior restoration on my boat, wet-sand starting at 600 taken up to 1200, days of compunding and polishing, all new decals the full bird! It looks like a new boat now but the interior looks that much worse now ( if you can imagine that) LOL!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2017 at 10:36am
Some exterior shots!
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2017 at 11:06am
I don’t have tips on upholstery but will be watching as we decide what to do with ours. Great looking exterior!
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2017 at 11:11am
Many threads out there on replacing vinyl. I believe even some good ones for 2001 Nautique on wakeworld. It's definitely doable if you do your research and get really good at sewing. Having access to a commercial machine is a must for the advanced sewing these skins require.

Your dealing with many factors beyond just vinyl. You have seat foam that is in 'okay' condition. Some build this back up or cut new foam completely. That will need to be address first. Second, you need to check all your seat bases as they are (mostly) made of wood and may need to be recreated.

As for the vinyl, in order to replicate the factory there are a few items to remember. One get high quality vinyl and get 25-30% more than your estimate. You will want foam backed vinyl to match the factory. You will be doing top stitching, curves, maybe adding some piping. I've also seen skins that are closed up on the interior with fabric to reduce water infiltration (not sure what this is called.) You will need Hide-Em once finished to hide the seams. You end up dealing with many layers of vinyl.

I guess my point is that there is a lot that goes into making high quality skins and many hours that go into the project. Overall, your project looks great so far and seems you have someone to help you through the skin making process. If you want a solid factory look be prepared to spend a good bit of money and time. The money it takes to buy all the correct materials is still about 30-40% of what Christine's would charge, not including your time. It's also a job in itself just installing new skins. Disassembly of your boat, 1,000s of staples, and hours of time. Not to discourage you, but I'd definitely consider saving up the money and using Christine's to get the professional look to finish off your boat.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2017 at 11:32am
^^^ what he said
You have the outside looking like new don't ruin all that work with a half assed looking interior. You may be able to do an OK job with the vinyl but it won't be as nice as a professional and when you factor in the cost of material and your time to me it's not worth it.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2017 at 12:20pm
Speaking of foam, what's the skinny on seat foam? Type, density? I have a cushion that's rather "set" that I don't want to recover and be left with loose, floppy corners.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2017 at 9:45pm
I did the rear seat bottom & the doghouse myself.     I would not do it again, as I spent about 2/3 as much as buying Christine's stuff & it definitely looks homemade.

If you want to proceed, here are some tips i learned:
Cut apart the old skins by the threads. Then you have exact patterns. You can also nest the shapes to minimize the material.

I got my material from Gary's in Tampa. I'm not sure they are still in business. There is one make & model of vinyl which matches 80's SN.

I used double sided carpet tape to hold the seams together while it went thru the machine.

The doghouse was a challenge because you have to wad up so much material to get thi thru the throat of the machine. You are also doing it inside out, so it gets pretty confusing. The 3-way corners on doghouse did not come out perfectly.

My take away from the project is that the upholstery shops are not overcharging.

Good luck on your project.

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2017 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

^^^ what he said
You have the outside looking like new don't ruin all that work with a half assed looking interior. You may be able to do an OK job with the vinyl but it won't be as nice as a professional and when you factor in the cost of material and your time to me it's not worth it.

Another what he and he said. Go pro with it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2017 at 11:42pm
Kevin - I built my observer's seat from scratch. I think I used a block of foam from an old sofa, but a pc of foam mattress would work too. The hard part is creating smooth corner radii - any mis-cut will show thru.

If you can find a used cushion & salvage the foam, that is the easiest path.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2017 at 12:43am
You've been to Wisconsin- ain't happening
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gnarlydude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gnarlydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2020 at 12:07pm
You have photos of it before wetsand?
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."
-Mark Twain
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2020 at 3:11pm
Flip flop did a series of write-ups on tips/tricks and DIY steps a few years ago.   You can find his thoughts in the FAQ thread with links.   I think it's 4 posts in.

FAQ thread
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic