NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

312 Y Block Winterizing/Draining

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 312 Y Block Winterizing/Draining
    Posted: October-30-2017 at 10:16pm
Since I used the Classic a whole 1 time this year it is going to need a drain before winter, Being very new to me, no idea how the 312 plumbing works, will I be looking for (2) block plugs, (1) trans cooler, (2) exhaust manifolds and (1) J-Tube/Hose extraction as a starting point. Any advice/pointers would be much appreciated. Also do I need any pour-in or is drain only OK?? Thanks!!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 10:27pm
Shouldn't you check with Charles?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 10:31pm
Pete should be able to help you out since he has a 312.

I think I'd drain and then pour a gallon or 2 in the engine to mix with any residual water and let everything drain again
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 10:34pm
That is where I started, He suggested reversing the battery cables so it runs standard rotation and sucking in the pink stuff through the exhaust, I would have done that butt cant find the battery plus I forgot where I parked the boat??
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 10:41pm
Pure Genius

Good thing you lost the boat
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 10:49pm
You've been around this site long enough to know that there's a reference section with some good manuals written by the engineers who designed these things

The 68 Interceptor manual in said location has what look like really good instructions on laying it up.

Probably the same as for your 64 .......maybe
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 10:53pm
One small problem, that manual was for the new fangled 289 engine and not the y block engines but I'm sure they had block drains
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 10:58pm
Riley is logged in right now, I bet he'll be able to tell you everything you need to know
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 10:59pm
There's a manual for that actual engine with the yellowish cover in the reference section.. Pretty much like any Ford. There's a plug on each side of the block, a drain on each exhaust manifold, and a plug on the bottom of the raw water pump. I remove the intake hose off the bottom of the raw water pump. Getting the anti freeze in the engine is a little different, although your set up may be easier as you only have one thermostat.

I always pour in that special -100 stuff and make sure it runs out with good color, then I pickle it. I'm beginning to think pickling is a waste of time and money, but can't break myself of the habit.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 11:02pm

Those drain points match my '64 312:
(in S F Bay Area) i run until warm, then suck up 50/50 coolant mix while running in some fuel stabilizer.
Also do an oil/filter change so any fuel contamination doesn't affect bearings.

Boat is stored inside. Seems to be working out.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 11:46pm
You guys really made me work for this one, lol

Since mine is a downdraft, which both Zach and Timmy believe is original, I referenced that motor, looks to be pretty straight forward. Is there any Diesel oils left that have the ZDDP I need, motor is leaking pretty bad so hate to use the high dollar VR oil until I really know the true health of this motor??

Pretty sure Pete mailed the cap, rotor & points last year, so should have those any day now

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 11:52pm
I'd use straight Rotella 30W. Best deal for it is at Walmart.. $16/gal last I saw.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2017 at 12:43am
VR-1 is at Farm and Fleet for 4.50 a qt and at Menards for 4.99 after 11% rebate, 4.44 if you don't want to get all dressed up to go to Walmart
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2017 at 6:49am
Chris,
Glad you found the engine manual!

How did the Classic run the one time you had it out?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2017 at 8:27am
After Zach and Timmy messed with it she ran well enough to pull Boziel on a slalom. Going to give it some loving this winter, needs a good scrubbing and then a physical, likely a complete tune-up and then a full rubbing/polish. Eventually try and do something with the bottom paint or finish and finally get my new to me trailer from Bruce up here from Reidland for it's resto.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2017 at 12:40pm
Last time I visited Uncle Wally ( couple of hours ago) I checked out the 15w40 stuff and good ole' Supertech 15w40 still has the CJ-4 rating and plenty of zinc (And cheap but good $ 9.88 a gallon)

The latest Rotella T-4 15w40 still has plenty of zinc too, but some people just can't get past the lack of a gas engine rating like SM or SN. Others can and still use it

Click on Shell Rotella T4 Triple Protection tested on 3/30/17. That's the CK-4 rated stuff

They update it as they test stuff so you have to pay attention to dates and ratings.

PQIA diesel oil link
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2017 at 10:06pm
No I did not search because I know you guys have the answer, what oil filter does this block use? The one on there now is some crazy off brand and looks like it was installed with a hammer.

The drain plug on the water pump is a disaster, going to try a vice grip to get it off and then replace it, thank you HW for looking at it for me as I could not contort enough to see what the heck it was, lol.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2017 at 10:21pm
You should have Hollywood remove the pump and replace the impellers while he's down there..

We use a NAPA Gold 1521 oil filter.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2017 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Or a Napa Gold 1068 which is the shorter version if there is a clearance problem to a stringer like my X55 has.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 8:29am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Or a Napa Gold 1068 which is the shorter version if there is a clearance problem to a stringer like my X55 has.

I figure your 1068 is the shorter version of something but it's not the shorter version of a 1521.

The 1521 is 3.78 inches long

Your 1068 is 4.33 inches long

A 1515 is 5.19 inches long so you would have the shorter version of that.

So Pete, yours is longer than Riley's
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 8:32am
Definitely going with the 1515 then as I need every inch I can get!!

Thanks Guys!!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 9:05am
Let us know how that 1515 works out. You may want to pick up a Sawzall while you're at NAPA.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 9:14am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Definitely going with the 1515 then as I need every inch I can get!!

Thanks Guys!!

Well big boy, if you're lookin' for length you might want a NAPA 1773.

It's the length enhanced version, it's about 7 inches long.

Riley's will fit for sure though
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 9:43am
LOL, if 5.19" is good, 7" got to be better! All it needs is a few floor modifications.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 9:45am
You must be getting old and forgetful Quinner, you asked the oil filter question back in the thread linked below
old thread

Actually my main reason for linking the thread was to remind Pete about sending you his Sierra ignition kit that he'll never ever use.

Or he'll never admit that he'd use it anyways
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 10:26am
LOL, I just searched that one out this am to make a list of ignition parts needed that have not arrived in the mail yet :) and did see the oil filter recommendation, good to see our information database is consistent and expanding, literally!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 11:14am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Actually my main reason for linking the thread was to remind Pete about sending you his Sierra ignition kit that he'll never ever use.

Well Ken, now that you have once again worked me over bringing up the Sierra kit, I dug it out and took a closer look at it. Talk about forgetfulness, the parts in the kit are used so, I DID use the kit!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Well Ken, now that you have once again worked me over bringing up the Sierra kit, I dug it out and took a closer look at it. Talk about forgetfulness, the parts in the kit are used so, I DID use the kit!!

Gotta keep old minds active Pete, I'm just doing my part.

I'm not sure about you though, first we find out you have an electronic ignition module in the Tique and now you've used Sierra ignition parts in the Dunphy.at some point in time

What kind of secrets are you hiding in the Atom?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 4:19pm
I'm gonna take a guess that you have a custom built Vertex magneto providing the spark to that 4 banger
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2017 at 5:05pm
ProTec
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic