NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Blown" Ford 351

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 14>
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2017 at 10:37pm
Belzona, that's some kind of moisturizing facial creme isn't it?

Good luck, hope the rest of the engine is good

Hope your skills are good too
William777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2017 at 11:24pm
Thanks guys. Thanks for the laugh Mr.Keno! I needed that. It may be a week before I have a result to post. Face cream, good one.
1978 Martinique Ford 351 Windsor
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2017 at 11:41pm
When you think about it, it may not be the textbook best surefire way to cure your problem, but what do you have to lose except a little time and money on that expensive face cream.

Once again.................good luck

Your cooling system sees about 20 psi at high rpm's, just so you have an idea of the pressure involved.

Don't forget, cleanliness and preparation is the key.

And....................There's no H after the preparation

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2017 at 12:31am
Well, actually preparation H makes for a good face cream. It has properties that shrink the bags under the eyes. So... I don't actually have a point. But, yes, I've nothing to lose. Might use a cheaper option to perform the miracle. Info on the pressure is valuable. I see the port on the timing cover is blocked. Can you describe the water's path through the engine from intake to exhaust?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2017 at 5:45am
Take a few minutes and read up on lock n stitch products.
I have seen first hand how well they work putting cast iron back together .
They repair thousands of engines per year. Most are commercial applications in very expensive equipment.
You drill a hole though your crack, insert their plug and then screw a special bolt into their plug. As you tighten the bolt it sucks the crack area tight and then snaps off leaving a flush surface.
Sounds odd but is proven technology. There must be Utubes of it being applied..
I first saw it almost 30 years ago.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2017 at 7:27am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Take a few minutes and read up on lock n stitch products..

Mark,
I have first hand experience with the Lock n Stitch and don't feel is a good option at this time. It's too much work and cost considering there's the unknown of other block damage

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2017 at 9:00am
Originally posted by William777 William777 wrote:

. I see the port on the timing cover is blocked. Can you describe the water's path through the engine from intake to exhaust?

I'm not sure what port you're talking about on the timing cover but the flow path for the water is from the raw water pump to the thermostat housing. From there some goes out the exhaust and some goes into the circulating pump and into the block through 2 ports on the timing cover.

It enters the front of the block on each side and then goes up through the heads and comes out the front of the heads into the water passage in the intake manifold that leads to the thermostat housing. There is a water passage on the back of the heads but it is blocked by the intake manifold which has no passages for water in the back. It was designed this way so that either head can be used on either side of the engine.

In the thermostat housing there is mixing happening when the thermostat is open with some of the water going to the exhaust and some back through the circulating pump to start the path through the engine again.

So.... you always have water going through the exhaust manifolds and when the thermostat is not fully closed you have water flow through the engine

When the thermostat is closed you'll have an engine full of water being heated up till the thermostat opens and flow starts

This would be for the typical small block Ford marine engine that has no bypass hole around the thermostat. Many times people get confused and think that the thermostat is what lets water into the engine but as you can see it lets hot water out of the engine

A picture of what's blocked would be good

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2017 at 11:27am
Thanks for that explanation of the water cycle. Actually I was seeing something in one of the pictures that looked like a plug of some sort but now I think it's just the way the rust has discolored the port. Nothing is blocked. I;m away from the boat now. I have some ideas for the repair, this is the one I'd like opinion on: Use parafin wax to fill just the area behind the hole to be used as a casting substance. Build on that using an epoxy to repair. Start the engine and as it heats it slowly melts the wax which emulsifies and safely shoots out the exhaust?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2017 at 11:33am
Just fill the cooling passages with cement. No more leaks. More heat = more power.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2017 at 11:36am
William,
Before going with the wax idea, I suggest seeing how the broken piece fits back into the block. Get the edges of the break as clean as possible and then epoxy the piece back in. Some grinding of the edge may be needed and slightly V the outside edges.

You've been watching too many Utube videos!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2017 at 11:51am
I think you've been sniffing too much Preparation H myself

The really amazing thing though is me and Pete agreeing on how to do a backyard hack repair on your block.

Assuming the piece came out as 1 piece, epoxy that sucker in and reinforce over it with more epoxy.and maybe some reinforcing fabric.

After it's dry, hook up the water say 3 quick prayers of your choice and turn the key and see what happens
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2017 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Just fill the cooling passages with cement. No more leaks. More heat = more power.

Old drag racing trick
Hardblock
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2017 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

After it's dry, hook up the water say 3 quick prayers of your choice and turn the key and see what happens

Then go and get yourself another block.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2017 at 1:57pm
Aw c'mon Duane

Give him some hope
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2017 at 3:34pm
JB Weld.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2017 at 6:27pm

The really amazing thing though is me and Pete agreeing on how to do a backyard hack repair on your block.

Ken,
Keep in mind I said the following back a few posts:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Yea, it says get another block.

I have to agree that the most logical is a new block.

But Ken, William sure seems bent on getting the engine running in hopes of determining if the block is damaged in other places. Now, I did suggest epoxying the piece back in hopes of getting him off the more complicated method of rebuilding the piece with the wax etc.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2017 at 7:57pm
We all agree on the best route to go being a new block and it seems to me the wax thing would be a disaster.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2017 at 8:30pm

it seems to me the wax thing would be a disaster.

But just think of all the things we could do and make if we first got an idea off Pinterest and then watched youtube on how to build it!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2017 at 3:33am
I can handle the ridicule.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2017 at 10:10am
So...........was it one big piece that broke?

If it was just epoxy it back like what has been mentioned by me and that other hack named Pete

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2017 at 12:40pm
It came out in several small pieces. My latest plan is to use a piece of metal screen that has 1/2 inch openings as a sort of rebar with marine epoxy. It's going to work. I'm thinking, we've sent men to the moon, I can repair this little hole.
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2017 at 11:29pm
I think this sounds like a great experiment we could all learn something from.
'92 Sport Nautique
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 11:38am
Only reason its gone this far is everyone is bored and bit punchy each fall after the boats get out of the water.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote William777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 8:47pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 9:21pm
William,
Is that the moisturizing face cream Ken suggested or did you go with his other idea of using Preparation H?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 9:24pm
Now that looks like one small step for mankind

And..............Good luck Mr Gorsky wherever you are

PS paint it blue
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 11:06pm
Anozleb is what you need, specially formulated for reverse rotation
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2017 at 5:02am
Is that epoxy or fiberglass?
Fire it up!
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2017 at 9:27am
I hope it works. I like to see people try this kind of thing. I myself probably would not but I am certainly hoping it works out. Good luck!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2017 at 10:46am
God Bless you... and good luck.
I would have tossed that thing PDQ and used it an excuse to build more horsepower. The wife would never know the difference, Parts is parts to her and they all cost money..
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 14>
  Share Topic