Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

196 Slalom wake quality

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
waterskibum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskibum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 196 Slalom wake quality
    Posted: September-12-2017 at 11:43am
Hi, I am looking at changing slalom boats and am in the market for a SN 196 2003-2010. I have 15 years behind my 1995 and 1996 Malibu Response. Set my PB at 2 1/2 balls at 32 off at 34 mph behind these boats this year. I also owned a 2011 SN 200 for 3 years. Beautiful boat and miss the zero off PP, but am no longer in the $ 40-$50K market. I am currently sharing a 2002 196, TSC2 Hull, with a buddy and do not like the wake at 22 and 28 off with a 32-34mph speed. This is where I normally ski day to day.    I also have just skied a 1999 TSC hull and liked at a little more than the TSC2.   No issues with these boats at shorter line and faster speeds as one would expect. With this background in mind and assuming I can't get behind a 2006 or newer TSC3 Hull, any comparative inputs from slalom skiers would be appreciated.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2017 at 11:49am
Get a MasterCraft
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2017 at 11:55am
I would suggest checking out Ball of Spray (Forums).com and they can give you the more specific advice that you are looking for. Just remember, everyone has their favorite boat maker in mind most of the time when they post.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskibum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2017 at 12:01pm
I always am amazed by insitefull responses like yours. You missed that life lesson about " If you can't say something nice ..."   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskibum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2017 at 12:27pm
Thank you, Now that was helpful I just checked it out.   Regards.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2017 at 12:43pm
I can only add a 2000 era response is no slouch for wake quality at those speeds, and good value.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2017 at 12:55pm
Keep in mind the 2002-2009 196's came in a couple different bottom flavors. Get a latter one where Zero Off is available as well as a hydrogate. Better bang for the buck. I commonly ski behind a 09 6.0 liter. Great three event boats!
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskibum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2017 at 1:11pm
Ok, So I also have access to a 2003 Malibu sunsetter as an occasional ski boat. Not at all interested in course skiing with that boat.   The response LX, LXI, and sunsetter share the same lower hull design,V23, but differ but differ above the waterline. The LXI and sunsetter add 3'' of beam to accommodate family skiing.   Anyone with experience behind the Malibu response LX as it would compare to the SN 196
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2017 at 1:39pm
RLX vs TSC2/3 196, I thought the wake was similar sized but much harder on the Malibu.

Never been behind a 200 but cannot imagine someone complaining about the 196. World class slalom boat even long/slow. Tracks and drives worlds better than the malibus imho. TSC2/3 rooster is reduced relative to the TSC1, but both are excellent.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2017 at 4:00pm
If you're not skiing the course and you are skiing speeds of 30 and under, I find the Malibu Sportster and Response to have a smaller wake than a Nautique, although harder, and with no rooster tail at any speed and line length. They don't track as well or turn as flat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskibum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2017 at 10:31pm
Thanks to all for your responses to my question. This is all great info. While I am not complaining about a 196 (TSC2) wake, my experience has led me to see that 22-28 off, at speeds of 32-34mph is noticeably different on Malibu and SN 196 boats. These boats are designed for short line skiing and those of us at longer lines live with what we get.   While I wait for a ride behind a 2006 or newer boat, I am reaching out to those who can already make a knowledgable comparison about what I am looking to test ride/buy. I am also interested to hear about differences between the Malibu LX and LXI wakes at my line lenghts. This input is greatly appreciated. Regards, Jim
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2017 at 10:41pm
TSC2 (02-05) and tsc3 (06-09) are unchanged from a slalom perspective. I too am a 32-34mph 22-28 off skier and find it very very hard to fault the 196. TSC1 is very close as well. The Malibu is fine but not my preference.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2017 at 11:05pm
I have a lot of experience behind the LX and 03-06 LXI. Still have friends with one of each. IMO between those two hulls I prefer the LXI wake. It's the more modern hull variant evolution. That 03-06 RLXI hull was the first spacious walkthrough open bow boat among all the brands to be a real 4-event (great footing boat too) boat at the time. Think of the boldness Malibu had to say "you know what? This walkthrough open bow with plenty of space and storage is also going to be our primary 3-event boat and we'll set a slalom record with it in 2005 while we are at it". During that time you couldn't even put a 67" slalom ski in the trunk of a CC and the 206 promo owners were freaking out about their boats and switched back to the 196 ASAP in those years. Kudos to Malibu for making their 3-event boat the open bow boat, paving the way for the 200 and the 14+ MCs to be primarily "open bow"/convertible designs.

The quality and fit and finish and materials don't even come close to CC on those Malibus, and neither do the ergonomics but damn, from the end of the rope they are great boats and still very versatile. Hell, the 99-04 Sunsetter LXI has an amazing wake too for its size. Great boat.

Would never own one over a CC but I have to respect Bu for the stuff they did really well.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterskibum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2017 at 8:46am
Thank you again , I love the perspective. Now I just need to get behind one of these boats. $ is burning a hole in my pocket and I gotta get rid of it before one of my kids says " Dad I need...."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic